Saturday Competitions in Northeast Indiana OR Northwest Ohio???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I was starting USPSA near Fort Wayne this year. However, a layoff and a new job this summer may have thrown a wrench in that. At this point I am not sure I can make Sunday's work anymore. I had to move other obligations to Sunday's because of work. I will not know for sure until 2019 if I can still come to Sunday USPSA matches.

I was really enjoying practice and the match I went to. And although I may not be able to make Sunday's work, it looks like I can make Saturday's work.

So I am looking for Saturday competitions in the N E area. At this point, the only thing I have found is steel challenge in Warsaw in the 1st Saturday of the month. And although that does look fun, steel challenge does not look like the running and gunning style that USPSA is.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, I have no clue what is going on in the North West area of Ohio. Anyone have any info about that? Is there any competition rules against that? Is there a forum I could find out that info on?

I don't think there would be any legal issues other than the Ohio (which I know are different than IN) carry laws would apply to my LTCH if my handgun was on my person. Packed in my trunk, I don't see any issues.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    FWIW,
    i enjoy the steel matches i shoot, and ive been shooting USPSA since the mid 90's.

probably the easiest thing to do is use the club finder on USPSA's website.

:cheers:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    probably the easiest thing to do is use the club finder on USPSA's website.

I looked. The only match that I could confirm is on Saturday is over 2 hours away near Dayton......Dawg Valley USPSA.

I am not sure if that will work.....I was hoping to find something closer.

I would be open to an outlaw pistol match as well. I have not found a website or resource where I can find outlaw matches to date.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    michigan city shoots steel on saturdays, (i thinks it's rimfire only) NPCCC has an outlaw steel match as well.
    still might be farther than you want to travel.
    my "limit" on travel is about 90 minutes one way.
    i ran into the same "problem" when i moved back up here 20 years ago. no place close by to shoot USPSA. i got kinda spoiled living in central fl, i had an indoor range 10 minutes away that allowed us to practice, (early on sunday mornings), and shot bowling pin matches, outdoor range for USPSA was 20-30 minutes away, and another indoor range 45 minutes away that shots pins as well.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    You can usually shoot uspsa at ACC on Sat. I think that is a little less than 2hrs from Ft Wayne.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    michigan city shoots steel on saturdays, (i thinks it's rimfire only) NPCCC has an outlaw steel match as well.
    still might be farther than you want to travel.
    my "limit" on travel is about 90 minutes one way.
    i ran into the same "problem" when i moved back up here 20 years ago. no place close by to shoot USPSA. i got kinda spoiled living in central fl, i had an indoor range 10 minutes away that allowed us to practice, (early on sunday mornings), and shot bowling pin matches, outdoor range for USPSA was 20-30 minutes away, and another indoor range 45 minutes away that shots pins as well.

NPCCC also shoots sanctioned Steel Challenge matches

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would prefer Saturdays as well. Usually the only place I can do that is at South Kent in MI. For me that is about an hour, I think it would be too far for you though. I think Wildcat Valley is the first Saturday of every month, but they are around 2 hours from you as well probably.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Actually the 1st Sat is IDPA at ACC (Atlanta Conservation Club). Next club level IDPA match is Sat Sept 1

USPSA shoots on 1st Sun each month

I have not had a chance to check that due to a family emergency.

Thanks for the info!

I'm not really interested in IDPA at this moment. But if I cannot find anything else, I might consider it. I think there could be some IDPA matches closer than ACC though. I'm sure the IDPA wesite has a club finder.

Does anyone know of any outlaw Saturday pistol matches?

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    Do you happen to know what makes it outlaw at their steel match?

that match is not affiliated with Steel Challenge Shooting Association therefore they shouldn't use the terms or stages associated with Steel Challenge Shooting Association, hence "outlaw"

NPCCC does run a affiliated steel challenge program besides the "outlaw" match.

Check their web sight for dates or follow the INGO shooting sports thread

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    that match is not affiliated with Steel Challenge Shooting Association therefore they shouldn't use the terms or stages associated with Steel Challenge Shooting Association, hence "outlaw"

NPCCC does run a affiliated steel challenge program besides the "outlaw" match.

Check their web sight for dates or follow the INGO shooting sports thread

^^^^ what he said.

non standard courses of fire
    3 strings at each stage, instead of 5 strings at an "official" match.
    centerfire has to put 2 rounds on the large steel targets, instead of a single round in a SCSA match.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    So I think I am going with Steel Challenge in Warsaw on the 1st Saturday morning of each month. I can fit that into my current life schedule consistently.

Also, I think my 14yr old son might be interested. And from I was able to gather from what rules I could find online, he should be able to shoot using my plain Ruger 22/45.

Now I need to figure out if the rig I put together will still work. I think my belt and mag holsters would be fine. I am just not sure about the CPWSA / Ready Tactical DOH holster for my Beretta 92. It says it's USPSA legal and NOT IDPA legal. But it does not say anything about being Steel Challenge legal.

https://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tactical-dropped-and-offset-doh-holster

Other than that, is there anything really different that I should know about at Steel Challenge? Are there any differences in procedure or safety I should know about ahead of time?

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    That holster is fine for steel challenge. If you are safe at a USPSA match, you shouldn't have any problems at steel challenge. We have a table or barrel by each shooting box so you don't need mag pouches if you don't have them. Rimfire starts at low ready so a holster is not required for the 22/45. It helps to have 5 mags for the 22/45 so you don't have to load them while he's up shooting but we can work around it. Or PM me and I can bring spares you can borrow. Hope to see you and your son at the match.

-Tim

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    That holster is fine for steel challenge. If you are safe at a USPSA match, you shouldn't have any problems at steel challenge. We have a table or barrel by each shooting box so you don't need mag pouches if you don't have them. Rimfire starts at low ready so a holster is not required for the 22/45. It helps to have 5 mags for the 22/45 so you don't have to load them while he's up shooting but we can work around it. Or PM me and I can bring spares you can borrow. Hope to see you and your son at the match.

-Tim

Thank you for the reply!

I just ordered a few more mags for the 22/45. So I think we should be good now.

Question..... the range allowed USPSA to practice on 1st Thursday of the month.

Are there any practices for Warsaw Steel Challenge?

Top Bottom