• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    This is pretty much how we do it. We don't do the water only whole milk. You can change the consistency to how you like depending on how much milk and cook time. You want it thicker cook it longer, cooked it a little to long splash some more milk in.

Growing up Grannies gravy never had a lot of sausage in it and she only did that to please us. She said growing up in Tennessee they never added sausage, just used bacon grease. She did always put a big spoonful of bacon grease in with the sausage.
    Pretty much same here…..We do a pound of sausage, then sprinkle on the flour over the cooked sausage to soak up grease. Make sure four has time to cook, keep heat medium so it won’t burn. When the flour turns a tan color you can slowly add some milk and stir. If it’s too thick add more milk, too thin let it cook- Don’t add uncooked flour. Salt and pepper to taste

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    1. Brown sausage in skillet. Do not drain.
    2. Fill a coffee cup 1/2 way with warm water. Add 3 heaping tablespoons of flour. Mix until it’s the consistency of pancake batter.
    3. Pour water/flour mix on top of sausage.
    4. Pour two coffee cups of milk in skillet
    5. Stir
    6. Salt and pepper to taste
    7. It will thicken as it cooks
    This is the hard way.
    Easy way.
    Brown the sausage then add about 1/3 cup of a/p flour to the sausage and mix well while scraping the bottom of the skillet with a steel spatula. Flour will soak up most of the fat and coat the bits of sausage. Add enough milk to thoroughly cover the sausage. About 1 1/2" deep in my skillet. Then stir over high heat until the milk starts to boil. Reduce heat and continue to stir and scrape the bottom of the pan until it starts to thicken. Serve over home made biscuits with a little black pepper and a dash of Tobasco and maybe a couple fried eggs on top.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    This is the hard way.
    Easy way.
    Brown the sausage then add about 1/3 cup of a/p flour to the sausage and mix well while scraping the bottom of the skillet with a steel spatula. Flour will soak up most of the fat and coat the bits of sausage. Add enough milk to thoroughly cover the sausage. About 1 1/2" deep in my skillet. Then stir over high heat until the milk starts to boil. Reduce heat and continue to stir and scrape the bottom of the pan until it starts to thicken. Serve over home made biscuits with a little black pepper and a dash of Tobasco and maybe a couple fried eggs on top.
    This is how I was taught and has worked for 60+ yrs, now I am hungry for a big country breakfast.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    How I make it for my son and I is the following

1 lbs. Sausage brown to your liking, don't drain it
    1 cup of flour
    Milk to cover the sausage and flour
    Cook until it's the thickness you desire
    Pepper to taste