• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    Please educate me on the Savage 10. I have a chance to buy a used youth model in 7mm-08. I am looking to buy a hunting/range rifle in this caliber and here are my thoughts:

Accutrigger has good reputation, I have no exp. w/ them.
    Aftermarket stock/other accessories readily avail.
    Price is right.
    I can restock this gun and have a second, light recoil hunter for cheap, then in a couple of years, put the youth stock back on it and have an appropriate gun to introduce my young son to centerfire shooting and hunting-then when he grows out of that, put aftermarket stock back on it and give him a nice, capable hunting rifle. Any flaws in my thinking?

My question is: youth model=standard action with short LOP stock?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Please educate me on the Savage 10. I have a chance to buy a used youth model in 7mm-08. I am looking to buy a hunting/range rifle in this caliber and here are my thoughts:

Accutrigger has good reputation, I have no exp. w/ them.
    Aftermarket stock/other accessories readily avail.
    Price is right.
    I can restock this gun and have a second, light recoil hunter for cheap, then in a couple of years, put the youth stock back on it and have an appropriate gun to introduce my young son to centerfire shooting and hunting-then when he grows out of that, put aftermarket stock back on it and give him a nice, capable hunting rifle. Any flaws in my thinking?

My question is: youth model=standard action with short LOP stock?

I dont see anything wrong with your school of thought, and the 7-08 is a fine caliber for sure.

Im almost positive that the youth model has te exact same action, with a short stock

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Check the twist rate. Otherwise it sounds like a plan.

For a little while (about a year?) Savage lost their heads and went away from the 1:9.5" twist (don't quote me on that) and went to a 1:12" twist (don't quote me on that either), which won't work to stabilize the heavier bullets.

Most factory ammo in the 120-140gr range will work fine.

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    Check the twist rate. Otherwise it sounds like a plan.

For a little while (about a year?) Savage lost their heads and went away from the 1:9.5" twist (don't quote me on that) and went to a 1:12" twist (don't quote me on that either), which won't work to stabilize the heavier bullets.

Most factory ammo in the 120-140gr range will work fine.

Very good info to know! I plan on reloading for this cartridge and have a supply of 140gr. Combined Technologies bullets. I tend to reload toward the heavier end for all hunting cartridges-accuracy is my first consideration, energy is second, velocity is just gee whiz to me; I only take ethical shots well within any caliber's limits for the game I intend to use it on. In fact, the most practical gun I own for Indiana whitetail hunting is a T/C Renegade shooting 80grains of FFg behind a 250gr .45 XTP in a black MMP sabot;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Out o the box accuracy is arguably the best in the business. The accutrigger is defintally no match grade trigger, but its one of it not the best factory trigger on the market

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    Thanks all...

I am going to check this gun out today. I'm pretty much a newb at forum posting, but if I decide to go with it, I'll post pics of the progress, and my experience with Savage. Again, I love this bar..er, forum.

Top Bottom