• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I recently picked up an older Savage 93R17 BVSS. I bought a new scope to replace the junk Bushnell that was on it. I sighted it in @50 yards and got a group you could cover with a dime. Now i went and moved out to 100 yards and the gun was all over the place. Groups were in the 2"-3" range both vertically and horizontally. Barrels was cleaned thoroughly before shooting, everything was oiled, and i ran Hornady, CCI, Winchester, Federal, and Remington brand ammo, all 17 gr VMax. Nothing would group. I also checked the shooter (me) with the girlfriends plain Jane 93 model F and it shot well under an inch. Can anyone give me some insight? Both guns were shot from a Rock BR rest with a bag on the rear.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Firth thought is to check your rings and mount. Next thing would be to find a load with a different bullet just in case your barrel has an issue with the VMax (if I understood correctly, it sounded like each of the brands was using the same 17gr VMax bullet.)

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Rings and mount all have zero play. I am currently searching for different bullet weights but have lucked out so far. I checked the barrel and it is 100% free floated, only thing that is really apparent is the terrible trigger pull.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Rings and mount all have zero play. I am currently searching for different bullet weights but have lucked out so far. I checked the barrel and it is 100% free floated, only thing that is really apparent is the terrible trigger pull.

How do you know they all have zero play? Its not something you can just grab and shake and feel.

I would put the old scope back on. Smart money is on the rings/base or scope.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    How do you know they all have zero play? Its not something you can just grab and shake and feel.

I would put the old scope back on. Smart money is on the rings/base or scope.

I work in a machine shop, so I mounted it in a vise on a manual mill. I then used a dial indicator to square and level the receiver. I have a DIProducts one piece base that I mounted and checked flatness with as well with the indicator. I then mounted rings (leupold) and scope then I double checked everything was torqued to spec. I put the indicator back in and pushed on various parts of the scope to make sure nothing was moving. As for the scope I bought a new one for a different gun and took the one that was on that one and put it on the 93. Previous gun was a 10/22 factory Target gun that would shoot nikel sized groups at 100 yards.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I work in a machine shop, so I mounted it in a vise on a manual mill. I then used a dial indicator to square and level the receiver. I have a DIProducts one piece base that I mounted and checked flatness with as well with the indicator. I then mounted rings (leupold) and scope then I double checked everything was torqued to spec. I put the indicator back in and pushed on various parts of the scope to make sure nothing was moving. As for the scope I bought a new one for a different gun and took the one that was on that one and put it on the 93. Previous gun was a 10/22 factory Target gun that would shoot nikel sized groups at 100 yards.

Is the DIP rail a Picatinny or Weaver? I may be the only one, but I have never had reasonable results with Leupold PRW & QRW rings on Picatinny rails. From what I have seen, the Leupold rings did not sit quite flush with the rails. Never off by much, but apparently just enough to shift back and forth under recoil. In each of my cases, switching the Leupold rings to Warne split rings or designated Picatinny rings has produced an immediate resolution to my issues.

For <$30, a set of Warne Maxima's might be a relatively low-cost fix. Worse case, you loose $10-15 on the rings and sell them.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Is the DIP rail a Picatinny or Weaver? I may be the only one, but I have never had reasonable results with Leupold PRW & QRW rings on Picatinny rails. From what I have seen, the Leupold rings did not sit quite flush with the rails. Never off by much, but apparently just enough to shift back and forth under recoil. In each of my cases, switching the Leupold rings to Warne split rings or designated Picatinny rings has produced an immediate resolution to my issues.

For <$30, a set of Warne Maxima's might be a relatively low-cost fix. Worse case, you loose $10-15 on the rings and sell them.
    I will definitely look into that! I'll report back with what i find out

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I will definitely look into that! I'll report back with what i find out

Optics and/or mount would be 1st on the list.

The 17g Vmax on the bottom of the list.

We have our 93 set to .75" high at 50 yrds with Hornady 17g Vmax. My 10 year old got his first ground hog a few weeks at 114yds. Dead on. 1 shot.

Top Bottom