• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    stopped at my local dunhams to check for a hd shotgun. talked to the lady behind the counter for a few, and she hands me a 12ga by savage. after the discount they were running, it was only gonna be around 210-215$ for this bad boy. my only thing was, i've never heard of savage making shotguns. anyone have opinions on this? and yeah i know most people would suggest the m500 or r870, but the price point on this really caught my eye

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    Actually Savage doesn't make those shotguns. The one I have is a clone of a Ithica 37 and it's made in a factory in China for Savage. I really like the one I have and have put around about 200 rounds through it and not had any problems at all. Being a Chinese knockoff I didn't expect much but the action is smooth as butter.

BigWagon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Greentown
    I saw the Savage 12ga at a LGS for about $210 and thought about telling a friend who is looking for a cheap hd shotgun. Anxious to hear how others like them first.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Personally I will never buy a gun made in China. These may shoot ok but I'd rather have a used gun made in America than something from over there. I recently bought a used Maverick 88 HD shotgun in like new condition for $185. I know some parts are made in Mexico but the gun is assembled in America by Americans. There are lots of deals out there you just need to look around. I've also seen Mossy 500's and Remy 870's for around $200-300. Just my:twocents:

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I've looked over the Wally Word Savage/Steven's badged Security 320's.
    For $200 bucks it seems like a deal.
    Havn't held one of the Savage/Steven's 350 models that are similar to an Ithaca 37's other than to see them in adds.

Both are made in China & have a lot of mixed reviews on the webs.
    I've read that some had poor welds that would break within the first shots.
    Seems like for every person that likes one, there is another owner with a broken one complaining about Savage/Steven's customer service.

Okay for a fun gun maybe, but if I had to protect my family I won't be useing a gun that gets mixed reviews on function & reliability...my :twocents:

I spent a little more & went with a Mossy. :dunno:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Stick with what is most common. If you ever need parts you will be able to find them. Also choose one brand and stick with it. I chose Remington a long time ago. My son brought home a Mossy and I had fits with it, because the controls are not the same as the Remington. Knowing what to do with what is in your hand with out thinking is muscle memory. When I pick up one of my shotguns weather it is for hunting or home defense I know where every thing is and how to use it. I am not saying Remy is better than Mossy or the other way around. I am saying no matter what you get when you buy the second shotgun buy the same brand and yes you will buy a second one. I have four shotguns in my safe all Remington's.

nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    it was a pump. and after thinking about it going with an 870 is the better choice. they're much more popular and parts would be pretty easy to find

Top Bottom