• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just wondering if anyone on here has one or has shot one. Was thinking of getting one in 243 to play around with. For less than $400 bucks their very tempting.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Indeed I agree. I had one in 308 a year or so back an it really didn't shoot bad. It was about 1 1/4" MOA shooter at 100yrds using good factory ammo I didn't handload for it. But when I seen Savage bringing in a heavy barrel version of the Axis for less than 400 bucks I'm strongly considering it since I've been wanting to play around with a rifle in .243 and don't really want to break the bank at the current time to do so.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    $70 aftermarket trigger on a $300 rifle...........kind of defeats the purpose.
    I got my trigger down to usable, and safe..........for $2.....was not adjustable though.
    But there were no aftermarket stocks when I got mine.
    Boyds makes laminates now.
    BTW, I also had to scallop my bolt for scope clearance (using factory stock I still had to make a cheekpiece).
    Undecided on the platform............do know that I dislike long actions for short cartridges.
    Mine was a reg .243 and with WW 100gr it shot around .50" @100 yards..........after stock stiffening and other mods (Redfield 4-12X).
    Ugly as sin, shot pretty.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Spend the little extra and get an Axis XP that comes with an acu trigger. You can stretch and cut the factory springs, but it only does so much.

$70 aftermarket trigger on a $300 rifle...........kind of defeats the purpose.

Meh, been thinking about getting a M&P 15-22 and putting a Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger in it. To each his own.

At the same time, lightweight hunting rifle with a decent trigger, Ruger American or Mossberg ATR

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm a big Savage fan, but would not personally get an Axis.

That said, one with a sporter barrel dropped into a Tacticool stock placed VERY high in a BangSteel tactical match earlier this year.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Spend the little extra and get an Axis XP that comes with an acu trigger. You can stretch and cut the factory springs, but it only does so much.

Meh, been thinking about getting a M&P 15-22 and putting a Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger in it. To each his own.

At the same time, lightweight hunting rifle with a decent trigger, Ruger American or Mossberg ATR

Yea I thought about that also, but then you wouldn't get the heavy barrel. But for some light bench rest shooting to just try out a new caliber may be the way to go.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm a big Savage fan, but would not personally get an Axis.

That said, one with a sporter barrel dropped into a Tacticool stock placed VERY high in a BangSteel tactical match earlier this year.

Equipment is a big part of it for sure, but the fella behind the trigger has some to do with it also :yesway:. For me I already own a 10FP I was looking at it more for a cost effective way to try out a new caliber an since their offering the Heavy barrel version my interests were heightened with it for sure. For less than $400 buck just more curious to see how well it would shoot, lol

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I changed out my spring.

The smaller coils that go into the lever body correspond to a 10-24 thread.
    Yanked the factory spring and dumped it in the trash.
    Ran a button head screw upside down (acted as an overtravel stop) and my new spring (of consistent coil dia.) just slipped over it.
    That and some stoning and was good to go.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for the info Hookeye Ill keep that in mind. Im sure Ill end up going with the Heavy barrel version so it will have the sucky axis trigger. I may have to give that a try. An Id say a 2lb trigger for just a little bit of work would be a nice bonus...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Crap stock (flex and overall dimensions) plus bolt not scalloped...........were two PITA issues.
    Had no problems with grinding my bolt handle for clearance. Bead blasted and reblued, looked OK.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea actually I talked with Boyds an they are going to be introducing stocks for the axis heavy barrel. An yea I was going to ask about the bolt handle. I actualluy had a an Axis in 308 about 2 years ago but I ended up trading it off for other stuff. But cant remember the issue with the bolt handle what did you grind on yours?

Top Bottom