• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Ok guys...I'm really interested in a Savage bolt gun. Still up in the air as far as caliber goes, but it will most likely be something traditional (270, 308, 30-06) to use at the range primarily.

What are the basic differences in the models (10, 11, 12, 14, 16)? I looked at the website and there seems to be some conflicting data. Do they make any models with iron sights at all?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Go with the standard Model 10 in .308win. Ammo is available everywere for .308. Manageable recoil, reasonable ammo prices. As fas as models go 2 digit is short action (ie. 22/250,.308) and 3 digit models are long action(30-06,300WM). But one question you have to ask is do you want a standard barrel or heavy barrel? The 10 FCM Scout comes with iron sights.

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Whoa...the 10 FCM Scout may be exactly what I'm looking for!! Thanks for the info too!

That bad boy is light! Just found it on the website.

So what's your opinion on the bull barrell vs standard? I'm assuming a bull barrell would be longer than the 20.5" on the Scout

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Depending on model 22" to 26" long for the heavy barrel. And it will make rifle heavier in weight. So you may not want to carry it around you may not want a heavy barrel. But if your wanting it for a target gun to shoot on a bench or prone. Heavy barrel is the way to go, more accurate of a barrel. Havey barrel will take up some of the recoil do to the extra wieght of the barrel, plus wont heat up as fast. yielding a more accurate shot.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I would like to add that the use or purpose of the rifle will determine what someone might suggest for a specific build.

If you want a long range hunting rifle that your going to hump in and out of a particular location and could possible only fire a round or two all day, go with a light weight barrel and comfortable stock with a good sling.

If your looking for a precision long range setup for a tactial role then consider others, bull, heavy barrel..

Just my pennies, I don't know anything..

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    I don't think I'll be hunting anything with it, since I think the biggest thing I could legally hunt with it would be a coyote, and everybody says 308 makes a mess of a coyote. But I don't have anywhere to shoot a thousand yards either, so I'm thinking something very similar to that Scout rifle would be desirable.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Also look into getting one in .223 cheaper ammo and will do anything on the range your probably going to need it to do. Heavy barrel is nice for target shooting, but they dont have one with iron sights with heavy barrel so you would need to use a scope.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    No 5.56 just .223, but they have a boat load different models that are chambered in .223 from mild to wild.

The 11/111 Hog Hunter has iron sights on it but I dont know if you like it or not. personally if your wanting something along the .223 lines I would recomend the Model: 12 FV in .223 Heavy barrel, accutrigger, You would have to use a scope with it though. That would make a real nice range gun, an cheap to shoot.

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Yeah maybe I should just accept the fact that I will be better off with a scope anyway. I definitely wanna shoot it a lot, so 223 is probably gonna be the best choice too.

I'm finally starting to make a little sense out of these model numbers on the website. The 12 FV looks nice, is that a heavy barrel?

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Is the 12 FCV a heavy barrel rifle? Only difference looks to be that it has the accustock and detachable box mag.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I've got a Savage on order right now, the 110. I'm going with a little heavier caliber than you are, the 338 Lapua. There are places you can shoot 1k yards. Fort Wayne has a range that goes out to 1k. Young's Longshot Range a little farther north goes out to 1k as well I believe. There are a few more in the state I believe. If you do want to shoot llong, then you might reconsider the 308 over the 223. Also, don't neglect the optics. Get a quality scope to put on it. You don't always have to pay through the nose to get quality glass. Just do your homework. Long Range shooting does get addicting.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've got a Savage on order right now, the 110. I'm going with a little heavier caliber than you are, the 338 Lapua. There are places you can shoot 1k yards. Fort Wayne has a range that goes out to 1k. Young's Longshot Range a little farther north goes out to 1k as well I believe. There are a few more in the state I believe. If you do want to shoot llong, then you might reconsider the 308 over the 223. Also, don't neglect the optics. Get a quality scope to put on it. You don't always have to pay through the nose to get quality glass. Just do your homework. Long Range shooting does get addicting.

:drool:

Very true shooter, a nice piece of glass makes all the difference in the world.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Vortex is getting a lot of glowing reviews and AA Optics, an INGO advertiser, is a dealer. Also SWFA has some good scopes at some good prices.

The reason I suggest the 308 over the 223 for long range, is the 308 with a heavier bullet and a heavier charge will be much more stable than the lighter 223.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I really like my 10fp.
    .223 heavy barrel, accutrigger. The factory stocks (non-accustock) are a little flimsy on the forend, but not horrible. Just make sure the barrel is free floated, and bed the stock and your good to go.
    The 10 fp is the "police" version, 10= short action, f=synthetic stock, p=police.
    No iron sights so a scope is a must. I have a mueller 8.5-25x44 on mine. Its a mil-dot scope, I bought a few years ago. Its very clear, and seems to hold zero very well. I bought it and a sun shade for about $200.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    10FP in .223 here too. I'm probably a week away from ordering new glass for it from AA. It's fun to shoot and is a better rifle than I am a shooter.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The 10fp are some nice rifles for sure. Hard to beat the out of the box accuracy of them.

Yeah, I'm not really aware of any accuracy issues with Savages. I even hear great things about the Edge/Axis line of rifles for 60% of the price of their other models. I know lots of guys that get Remingtons and trick them out, but I kind of like the ugly, plain jane savages.

Top Bottom