• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I’ve been looking at either buying a M&P10 Sport (currently on sale for $770) and adding a free float handguard, but I’m also very interested in the Savage MSR10 Hunter (about $1000).

Does anyone have any experience with it? I am a huge fan of savage bolt action rifles and the interwebs have said positive things about their first foray into the 308 AR world.

A few points:

-From what I’ve read, there are a lot of proprietary parts, including the bolt carrier group. It sounds like that is what makes it so lightweight but I’m not a fan of proprietary parts.

-The stock and grip are junk and would be replaced.

-5R rifling barrel, two stage trigger and adjustable gas block are good upgrades. The trigger sounds comparable to the BCM standard trigger.

The purpose of this is a semiauto 308 with around 1-2 MOA accuracy, lightweight would be a huge plus and will reliably chew through any 308 ammo. 16”-18” barrel. Cost would be $1k or less.

Or say “screw it” and get a DSA Voyager FAL? :):

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The lead engineer on the Savage MSR project is a good friend and former INGO'er. Buy with confidence. :)

The stock furniture and proprietary parts are minor issues, and ones that would be present to some degree in just about any production .308 AR, regardless of manufacturer.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    The lead engineer on the Savage MSR project is a good friend and former INGO'er. Buy with confidence. :)

The stock furniture and proprietary parts are minor issues, and ones that would be present to some degree in just about any production .308 AR, regardless of manufacturer.

Well that’s great information! Honestly the only concern (and I use that term loosely) is the BCG. Typically I prefer to be redundant with certain parts and that is one of them. I’m going to call savage and see what they say about spare parts, and thanks for the info!

Top Bottom