• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I live in NWI, the place where I have only seen OC 2-3 times.
    I saw my first OC at Loomis Cycle on Kennedy Ave. in Hessville (Hammond) in 1974. Don't know if they are still there, or if OC was even legal back then--I suspect it was, but apparently people have been doing it in IN for a long time. :)

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    OC Virginity Lost

I usually CC but yesterday I decided to go to Starbucks to support them and I will admit I was a bit nervous.

First stop: I no sooner got out of my truck and started walking towards the entrance and a LE car came right around the corner. The officer did not look my way and drove on. Went in to order coffee and gave the Manager the talking points on the boycott and my support for them. Walked to a table with my heart beating like mad and sat down to drink the coffee. I don't think anyone even noticed.

Second stop: Went to another SB across town and did pretty much the same but felt much more relaxed. Saw one guy looking at my .45 as I walked in and as soon as I sat down he came over. Wanted to know what wood the grips were and if it was a Colt. We had a nice conversation about 2A and I finished the coffee.

Third stop: headed over to Walmart. Went to by some ammo and the nice, nice lady behind the counter said "nice handgun!" I said thanks and we talked more 2A. Went to the Valentine card section and maybe 6 or so ladies bugged out. Maybe they were just finished shopping, no one said anything. Finally went to check out and the cashier was really old (meaning older than me) glanced several times at the weapon but still didn't say anything.

Turned out to be a great experience and while I have a slight preference for CC because I believe there is a time and place for everything but I will for sure OC frequently in the future.

This is a precious right and we need to exercise it so we don't lose it. Only thing that worries me is running in to LE who don't know the law and decide to make my life miserable for a few hours over it.

elevensecondv6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Indy south side
    Nothing is wrong with you, I was nervous when I first tried it. It is weird at first. I change it up, sometimes I CC, sometimes I OC, just depends. I always have an OWB holster though, so CC is just covered with a jacket or shirt.

So far, I OC'd at Pizza Hut, Jewel, Arby's, maybe one other place. I am a 20 year old (look about 18 though) thin guy. Nothing more than a second glance. And I live in NWI, the place where I have only seen OC 2-3 times. I'm sure at one point if I continue to OC I will get hassled. I mostly CC though.

Thanks for the reply.I think you hit the nail on the head I guess you could say.I am just a little nervous that someone is going to complain to management if they see me open carrying.I was at a Hardees a few years ago and my friend was open carrying and there was a guy and his wife and kids there and the guy went and complained to the manager.The manager then came over and asked us to leave because my friend was making their customers uncomfortable.We didn't want to make a scene so we just left.We haven't been back to that Hardees since.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thanks for the reply.I think you hit the nail on the head I guess you could say.I am just a little nervous that someone is going to complain to management if they see me open carrying.I was at a Hardees a few years ago and my friend was open carrying and there was a guy and his wife and kids there and the guy went and complained to the manager.The manager then came over and asked us to leave because my friend was making their customers uncomfortable.We didn't want to make a scene so we just left.We haven't been back to that Hardees since.

That must have been scary. Those hardees managers are bad asses.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster

You know, you can try to ease into it. Go to a store where you frequent, where they know your face well. If you don't frequent anywhere, open carry where it is "common", such as Bass Pro or Cabelas or any gun/outdoors store. At first, you can bring a friend with you as well, to make it more comfortable and "laid back".

I could see why you would be worried about police. I will admit I had the mindset of just open carrying in my town since I work with the police here and they would recognize me. But actually out of the 3-4 places I mentioned, only 1 was in my town. No problems yet. I will probably open carry more in the spring/summer. Looks kind of retarded with my coat not over the gun lol, bunches up too much.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Try this next time:

"Sir, would you kick us out if he did not like my purple T shirt? How about the color of my skin? I don't know your reasoning for discriminating against me for a legal activity but perhaps your coporate office will when I ask them. Besides a guy with kids, you know he goes to McDonalds way more than Hardee's!" LOL

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Try this next time:

"Sir, would you kick us out if he did not like my purple T shirt? How about the color of my skin? I don't know your reasoning for discriminating against me for a legal activity but perhaps your coporate office will when I ask them. Besides a guy with kids, you know he goes to McDonalds way more than Hardee's!" LOL

Seeing the dumbfounded look on the managers face: PRICELESS! :D

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I've only seen it twice while out and about here in Indy. Funny thing is, it was a Ruger LCP both times (different people). I thought that was an odd gun to OC...

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I usually CC but yesterday I decided to go to Starbucks to support them and I will admit I was a bit nervous.

First stop: I no sooner got out of my truck and started walking towards the entrance and a LE car came right around the corner. The officer did not look my way and drove on. Went in to order coffee and gave the Manager the talking points on the boycott and my support for them. Walked to a table with my heart beating like mad and sat down to drink the coffee. I don't think anyone even noticed.

Second stop: Went to another SB across town and did pretty much the same but felt much more relaxed. Saw one guy looking at my .45 as I walked in and as soon as I sat down he came over. Wanted to know what wood the grips were and if it was a Colt. We had a nice conversation about 2A and I finished the coffee.

Third stop: headed over to Walmart. Went to by some ammo and the nice, nice lady behind the counter said "nice handgun!" I said thanks and we talked more 2A. Went to the Valentine card section and maybe 6 or so ladies bugged out. Maybe they were just finished shopping, no one said anything. Finally went to check out and the cashier was really old (meaning older than me) glanced several times at the weapon but still didn't say anything.

Turned out to be a great experience and while I have a slight preference for CC because I believe there is a time and place for everything but I will for sure OC frequently in the future.

This is a precious right and we need to exercise it so we don't lose it. Only thing that worries me is running in to LE who don't know the law and decide to make my life miserable for a few hours over it.

I agree 100%. I have never given much thought to anything but cc'ing myself. After a lot of things that have been going on around here ( ie.. crimes and police/prosecutor/courts letting criminals get off with slaps on the wrist for felony crimes )I want to OC as much as possible to help educate people that they need to stand up for themselves and use the rights they have and be able to defend themselves if the need arises. I am sure there will be some shipdits that will freak out and call the cops on me, considering the area I live in.

It might be a good idea to have a pocket size copy of the IC in ones wallet for those types of instances in case of meeting up with a Jackbootedthug or just an uninformed LEO that was never trained properly.:twocents:

Edit: Oh yeah and after listeningto the youtube recording of the guy in philly that was almost killed for OC'ing I will definitely be getting me a small voice recorder to keep on me at all times since my phones cuts off after 3 minutes.

Last edited:

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I remember the first time I saw someone OC. I must have been 5 or 6 and I was at Great Scott grocery store on 1st Ave. with my mom and sister. I remember seeing an old guy OCing some sort of big ass revolver. I also remember thinking it was cool, lol. Now I regularly see cab drivers OCing over at that gas station on 41/Virginia, especially at night. And I've done my fair share of OCing around Evansville, and I have not been hassled once.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    The more comfortable you become carrying a gun oc or cc the less likely anyone will notice of object.
    I newb will usually be obviously anxious and wondering if anyone is noticing me. HE will check his gun and holster with this hand frequently. While trying not to he is actually drawing attention to himself..
    After a year or so of having a gun and holster on you most of the time it become somewhat natural, you quit worrying about will anyone know or notice or object and just go about your business. Because you are at easy others around you will be at ease also and in all likelyhood won't notice you are carrying.

On the other hand if you are alert and watching you will notice more buldges around the waistband than you ever thought existed.

elevensecondv6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Indy south side
    You know, you can try to ease into it. Go to a store where you frequent, where they know your face well. If you don't frequent anywhere, open carry where it is "common", such as Bass Pro or Cabelas or any gun/outdoors store. At first, you can bring a friend with you as well, to make it more comfortable and "laid back".

I could see why you would be worried about police. I will admit I had the mindset of just open carrying in my town since I work with the police here and they would recognize me. But actually out of the 3-4 places I mentioned, only 1 was in my town. No problems yet. I will probably open carry more in the spring/summer. Looks kind of retarded with my coat not over the gun lol, bunches up too much.

Very good suggestion linkinpark.I think that would be a good way to go about it.

elevensecondv6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Indy south side
    Try this next time:

I could just imagine the reaction from the manager.He or she wouldn't know what to do.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Try this next time:

This sounds like the voice of experience speaking.:D

Top Bottom