• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    At ease, Pappy. Thank you for your service. Rest well, soldier, you've earned it.

smiley_salute.gif

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had an Uncle captured by the Germans. He was caught during the Operation Market Garden fiasco. Those guys didn't have it easy. The Germans were starving so the POW's had it even worse.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I had an Uncle captured by the Germans. He was caught during the Operation Market Garden fiasco. Those guys didn't have it easy. The Germans were starving so the POW's had it even worse.

When I hear SJWs whining, I think of how these guys had it, and shake my head.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    He has finally been set free....thanks for thinking of Pappy with me :)

He will never be truly gone. He's obviously left part of himself with you and undoubtedly many others. He deserves all the gratitude and respect we can give. However, so do you for the care and respect you've given to him during the time you knew him. Thank you.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the update on Pappy. I hope and pray his funeral pays respect to what he sacrificed for us all, even those of us whom he never met, and for all the future generations to come.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would rather fight a grizzly than fight an experienced RN. The grizzly might quit.

I spent a large part of the past two years helping care for my father at home and in the hospital. I spent a lot of time with all types of medical folks. I have never met any group of people who practice toughness and kindness every day like nurses do.

I really think being a nurse is one of the finest things a person can do. Doctors get a lot of credit and they are important too, but if you have spent much time in a hospital, you know that the nurses run the hospital and they are often the difference.

God bless those who serve, heal and comfort.

KoD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Richmond
    Y'all have been comforting, made me smile and I love how you embraced the "Old Man". He was so stinking funny! His family said he finally told some stories about 5 years ago. When I met him two years ago, he was already too far gone, mentally. He was 220lbs when he went into service. When he was released to the USA, he weighed 95lbs. On the ship back, his birthday occurred and he was not able to have cake. Most of ya know its dangerous to eat after starving...and to this day Pappy never let his belly grumble. He lived for ice cream and Pepsi. I bought him a Pepsi to share a couple months ago and the turkey spat it on me because he was mad about some non sense. Oooohhhhh. I'll miss him. He made the shift so uplifting. I've always had a soft spot for the hard heads :) Thanks for all the comments and recognizing nurses! We do have to be able to turn off our emotions and run like a machine for a time. I did hospice prior to the nursing home and now I'm back in surgery. Hospice really taught me how to respect death. We are all born, we will all die...and deserve to do so with dignity. But trust me, at the end of the day, I would cry until I could no longer breath sometimes. I had a handful or two of people I fell in love with, usually in a very short time. I always knew when the Lord wanted me to be their guide on their final journey.

In closing, Be kind to nurses. We keep doctors from accidentally killing you ;-)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Prayers to Pappy, his friends, family, and all those who were blessed with his presence. I know how tough it can be. My grandpa passed coming up on a year ago. He was a veteran, but never talked about it. Not sure when he served or ever where, the dementia set in and he was never able to talk about it and when he could, he wouldn't.

RIP Pappy.

Top Bottom