• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Is it now illegal to shoulder fire a pistol with the brace on it? I was showed a letter from the ATF saying it was but I don't believe it. I don't see why it would be a big deal shoulder firing the ak since it doesn't have a buffer tube like the AR pistols.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Yes it's legal, "no illegal way to shoot a pistol" and all.

Mmmm depends on what is attached to it. Put a stock, or a device that can be utilized as a stock, to extend the grip far enough to allow that part of the pistol to be braced against your shoulder, and it "could" become illegal. IMNAL :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Mmmm depends on what is attached to it. Put a stock, or a device that can be utilized as a stock, to extend the grip far enough to allow that part of the pistol to be braced against your shoulder, and it "could" become illegal. IMNAL :twocents:

Put a stock on it and it is no longer a pistol.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    From what I understand the SIG Brace is still legal but not the ones that came out recently.
    Because the BATF has not reversed the first legalizing of the SIG Brace.
    Not that they can't do that it just has not been done yet.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    How do you know the difference in the ones that came out earlier than the rest? I have a ATF letter with my sb47. Can someone sum up the article for me? Sounds ignorate but I've had some holiday adult drinks lol

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    He was referring to the recent letter regarding the "shockwave" ar pistol stabilizing device. It states the device doesn't convert an ar pistol to an NFA device "provided the Blade Ar Pistol Stabilizer is used as originally designed and NOT used as a shoulder stock." (directly quoted from the FTISB letter, and yes, it was underlined to emphasize this in the letter)

Based on the recent letter, it could be construed as illegal to fire a pistol with the "shockwave" stabilizing device in a particular way.

And this could have implications regarding the sig brace as well. Or the utilization of other devices if they are not used as intended.

Big win for BATFE/FTISB. Nothing like ruling with an iron fist completely unchecked and unchallenged.

Yes it's legal, "no illegal way to shoot a pistol" and all.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Forgot, there's also this letter from the FTISB directly contradicting their previous letters regarding the sig brace:
    https://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/sig-brace-nov-2014.pdf

"Consequently, the attachment of the SB-15 brace to an AR-type pistol alone; would not change the classification of the pistol to an SBR. However, if this device, modified or un-modified; is assembled to a pistol and used as a shoulder stock, thus designing or redesigning or making or remaking of a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder; this assembly would constitute the making of a "rifle" as defined in 18 U.S.C. Section 921 (a)(7)."
    (Directly quoted from the FTISB letter)

So it looks like it is now illegal to shoot the Sig brace from the shoulder when attached to a pistol as the FTISB now considers the act of firing a pistol with the sig brace from the shoulder conversion of the pistol to a NFA item.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Humm so this is ar style pistols only? I've not seen anything about the sb47 brace yet. I wouldn't see why it would be a big deal to shoulder the sb47 as it doesn't have a buffer tube to use as the ar style pistols do.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Humm so this is ar style pistols only? I've not seen anything about the sb47 brace yet. I wouldn't see why it would be a big deal to shoulder the sb47 as it doesn't have a buffer tube to use as the ar style pistols do.

Same deal. Take a pistol, "any" pistol, and add an attachment with the ability/intent of the attachment being used to steady the pistol utilizing contact between the attachment and a persons shoulder, and you have just manufactured by intent or accident, an NFA regulated SBR.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Same deal. Take a pistol, "any" pistol, and add an attachment with the ability/intent of the attachment being used to steady the pistol utilizing contact between the attachment and a persons shoulder, and you have just manufactured by intent or accident, an NFA regulated SBR.

By that logic, if you put a buffer tube on a pistol, you have made an SBR

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    We are not talking about logic, we are talking about the federal government. If we were applying logic, the discussion would stop at "shall not be infringed".

The NFA rules are a mockery of the law anyway so it should not surprise us in the least that there are nonsensical and contrary statements and interpretations (the constitution being the governing document of "the law).

When the law is illegal, attempts to interpret or comply with it becomes quickly ridiculous.

Look to the flavor of the month nfa letters or rulings or statements, but forget logic because it has no place in the discussion.

Top Bottom