• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diavic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This may have already been covered, but i couldn't find it.

Since Indiana defines a handgun as a firearm having a barrel length less that 16". Would it be legal use an SBR, as a pistol.

This would open up many more calibers.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    From DNR 312JAC9-3-2

not be a rifle that has a barrel less than eighteen (18) inches or is designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder. The handgun cartridge case, without bullet, must be at least one and
    sixt
    een
    -
    hundredths (1.16) inches long. Full metal jacketed bullets are unlawful. All 25/20, 32/2

Oppugnall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Quote:
    (c) During the firearms season established in section 4(e) of this rule, an individual must hunt deer only with any of the
    following equipment:
    (1) A shotgun.
    (2) A shotgun with rifled barrel.
    (3) A handgun.
    (4) A muzzleloading long gun.
    (5) A muzzleloading handgun.
    (6) A rifle, with the use of cartridges described in subsection (d)(4) only.
    (7) A bow and arrows described in subsection (b)(1) through (b)(5).
    (d) As used in section 2 of this rule, this section, and sections 4 through 8 of this rule, a firearm must meet the following
    specifications:
    (1) A shotgun must have a gauge 10, 12, 16, 20, or .410 bore loaded with a single projectile.
    (2) A handgun must:
    (A) conform to the requirements of IC 35-47-2;
    (B) have a barrel at least four (4) inches long;
    (C) fire a bullet of two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) inch diameter or larger; and
    (D) not be a rifle that has a barrel less than eighteen (18) inches or is designed or redesigned to be fired from the
    shoulder.

Oppugnall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    That is part of indiana code 312 IAC 9-3-3.

Equipment for deer hunting. Coyotes may differ. I thought and haven't found it yet. But all other animals besides deer/turkey are free for all.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    so with this using a m4 ar with a 16in barrel for yotes would be illegal????

Have I gleaned enough hunting information over the past three years to properly answer this? Probably not, but Im giving it a try anyways.

Coyotes are similar to nuisance animals and are not subject to the same (maybe none?) caliber restrictions that animals such as deer are.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Lets take a step back in history. For a period of a few years, people were making registered SBR's in pistol cartridges and deer hunting with them. This was because an SBR was designated as a handgun per IC and DNR did not vary from that. However, when it was discovered that all you had to do was pay $200 and register a firearm as an SBR to be able to hunt with a 15.75" barrel length .270, .308 etc, the DNR decided to act to stop it.

Thus the above DNR "rule" that a handgun does not qualify as a handgun if it is intended to be fired from the shoulder or it is a rifle that has a barrel less than 18".

These restrictions only apply to hunting deer as far as I know. Coyote hunting is still open to any equipment (except suppressors).

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    That's what I always thought but there is a season for them. So I dont know but previously I thought they were varmint shoot on sight.

They are if you own land and are hunting them on your own land, or if you have written permission to hunt them on someone else's land.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Once a rifle, always a rifle.
    SBR may allow existence in handgun form, but it is still a rifle.
    For deer hunting, an SBR in handgun form, the state says it must meet the rifle cartridge spec.

That killed my idea of a Rem 7600 SBR .308 converted to handgun for deer :(

Last edited:

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Lets take a step back in history. For a period of a few years, people were making registered SBR's in pistol cartridges and deer hunting with them. This was because an SBR was designated as a handgun per IC and DNR did not vary from that. However, when it was discovered that all you had to do was pay $200 and register a firearm as an SBR to be able to hunt with a 15.75" barrel length .270, .308 etc, the DNR decided to act to stop it.

Thus the above DNR "rule" that a handgun does not qualify as a handgun if it is intended to be fired from the shoulder or it is a rifle that has a barrel less than 18".

These restrictions only apply to hunting deer as far as I know. Coyote hunting is still open to any equipment (except suppressors).

This was the way I was to understand it too.

Top Bottom