• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose97

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2015
    Hoagland
    I've been coveting a CZ Scorpion Evo ever since I saw the first YouTube video, and was shocked yesterday when I ran into a used one at my local Gander Mountain for just $550! I just had to scoop it up. So now the question - should I SBR it or just get an arm brace? In other words, is dealing with the BATFE and NFA regs worth it?

The way I'm looking at it, an arm brace is the inexpensive way around the NFA laws, but because of the BATFE's wavering rulings, they could change their minds again, and I'd be left with an expensive hunk of plastic and no recourse. On the SBR front, I've never done anything with the NFA, so would have to learn the nuances (do I need a trust anymore with the changes? Where's the best place to learn everything I need about NFA stuff?). Additionally, I'd have all the added expenses (tax stamp, 922(r) compliance, stock, engraving). On a positive note, if NFA stuff is ever completely banned, my SBR would likely be grandfathered.

So - advice on any or all of the above? Certainly, if I do the SBR, this is gonna be a long term project. Thanks all in advance!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    You are technically not allowed to install a brace if your intent is to shoulder it. If you want to shoulder the CZ, SBR it.

Now I need to find a $550 scorpion evo.

moose97

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2015
    Hoagland
    You are technically not allowed to install a brace if your intent is to shoulder it. If you want to shoulder the CZ, SBR it.

Of course I'd never shoulder an arm brace!
    Now I need to find a $550 scorpion evo.

I can't tell you how many times I've drooled over both the pistol and the carbine version and talked myself out of the $800-1000 price. No way I was leaving without that deal! Good luck finding yours...

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Pros: you can shoulder it like you seem to want to.

Cons: It's another $200 and a long wait. If you ever move or want to take it out of state, you've got some hoops to jump through.

I think you should SBR it. You don't need a trust, but they're handy. Marc Halata is good and can help you with the process.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The problem is proving intent. The law didn't change. If you intent to make an illegal SBR, than it can still be in whatever form and they can still TRY to prosecute you. You can even have several parts that separate isn't illegally but they can charge you with intent. Like if you have an AR stock and an AR pistol in the same room.

But if your state allows SBR, try to get an SBR and be done with it, if you like the brace or cheek rest system, then have fun. Your choice.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    My opinion, if you REALLY want an SBR, you will be let down by a pistol. The NFA route, though silly/stupid sometimes, is worth it. For me, my AR pistol was nothing more than a place-holder until a stamp clears so I can move my upper over. Come to think of it, I've never even shot my ar pistol lower (I have shot others though)... While I know its not an AR, I think it would be about the same.
    Getting into NFA stuff isn't that bad. Its the first time you do paperwork you scratch your head a little bit. I went the trust route after 2 individual filings that I swore would be my last items.. I have no regrets with the trust, however I think I really am "Done", unless 41f/p magically goes away. I just don't feel like tracking down my trustees every few years for prints. Its not difficult enough though that I wouldn't get into it though. If you think you might get a few things, I'd go the trust route. I definitely second the Marc Halata suggestion! Nice guy, silly quick turn-around, and answered my many questions.
    Helluva deal you got there on the Scorpion, enjoy it whatever you do with it!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I say SBR. The only reason I see for a brace is easy travel across state lines, due to how stupid taking an SBR is.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Brace it,
    then do SBR paperwork,
    then shoot it and customize it until it's perfect, (you'll want a new grip or a right side safety delete to fix the finger rub)
    then get stamp back,
    then add stock,
    and finally, sell brace on INGO

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I don't have an SBR. But I do have two other stamps. I think they're both worth it.

And I appreciate the benefits of a trust.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The problem is proving intent. The law didn't change. If you intent to make an illegal SBR, than it can still be in whatever form and they can still TRY to prosecute you. You can even have several parts that separate isn't illegally but they can charge you with intent. Like if you have an AR stock and an AR pistol in the same room.

But if your state allows SBR, try to get an SBR and be done with it, if you like the brace or cheek rest system, then have fun. Your choice.
    This whole intent thing is rediculous. I have a stock I intend to add to my pistol once my Form1 comes back. I also intend to follow the law and will not install it without that approval. So who decides which intent is relevant?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I BELIEVE having a short upper, without a "pistol lower", or the parts around to make it a rifle might show "constructive intent". Someone please chime in if I'm way off. Having sbr stamps makes things much easier...

Top Bottom