SBR owners, why not start with a Pistol Lower first.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    There are a few even shorter pistol tubes that work in 223 (have to have something to address bolt bounce or what ever).

I built up my future SBR as a pistol and then got ride of it, decided was not worth the cost of having the AR SBR as was playing with HK's too much (have a sear for these so they go pistol to machinegun ;-)

cookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Henry co.
    why don't you take a rife buffer tube and mil it down so the butt stock WILL NOT FIT ON IT,and use that until you get your stamp back or is it legal to do that?

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    I have all my stripped AR lowers transferred as pistol... and my favorite shop is even kind enough to give me a copy of the form. I will not use a lower as a pistol lower unless I get it this way... call me paranoid.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    byggpoppa I have all my stripped AR lowers transferred as pistol... and my favorite shop is even kind enough to give me a copy of the form. I will not use a lower as a pistol lower unless I get it this way... call me paranoid.
    OK......You're paranoid. :D

Mammynun, you may want to get the lower engraved before you fill out the paperwork. :twocents:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK......You're paranoid. :D

Mammynun, you may want to get the lower engraved before you fill out the paperwork. :twocents:

If im not mistaken some people recently have been having problems on paperwork regarding if initials/abbreviations are acceptable, hence another reason to wait.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've been thinking about doing this when I finally build my SBR. Ive never built an AR lower yet and I was wondering how do you register it as pistol or rifle. Do you have to do it when you pick it up from the dealer? And Ive seen that people put rails on their AR pistols but could that be considered constructive intent of an AOW if I have vertical grips laying around the house or the safe?

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    I've been thinking about doing this when I finally build my SBR. Ive never built an AR lower yet and I was wondering how do you register it as pistol or rifle. Do you have to do it when you pick it up from the dealer? And Ive seen that people put rails on their AR pistols but could that be considered constructive intent of an AOW if I have vertical grips laying around the house or the safe?

When you have it transferred to you at the dealer yes. I haven't seen the rail issue pop up on here... I'm sure someone will chime in...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I'd say if the ATF is in your house and that problem popped up, you were already screwed in the first place. Can't imagine them showing up to search your home because there's a chance you have a forward grip and pistol w/ railed handgaurd on the same piece of property. I would think keeping a cover over the bottom rail would be a sufficient form of C.Y.A.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have all my stripped AR lowers transferred as pistol... and my favorite shop is even kind enough to give me a copy of the form. I will not use a lower as a pistol lower unless I get it this way... call me paranoid.

Yes you're paranoid and to add to it, your shop is doing it wrong. They aren't supposed to transfer a stripped lower as a pistol. They're supposed to be transferred as other. I don't know how much of a CYA it is for you if it's not even filled out properly....

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'd say if the ATF is in your house and that problem popped up, you were already screwed in the first place. Can't imagine them showing up to search your home because there's a chance you have a forward grip and pistol w/ railed handgaurd on the same piece of property. I would think keeping a cover over the bottom rail would be a sufficient form of C.Y.A.

I was just wondering what the outcome might be if it was to happen. Id rather know for sure that my stuff is legal than take a chance of it being illegal and some person finding out. NFA isnt really the kinda thing that "it should be OK" is ok.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    why don't you take a rife buffer tube and mil it down so the butt stock WILL NOT FIT ON IT,and use that until you get your stamp back or is it legal to do that?

Yes, it would be legal to do that.... how many people have access to a mill, or really want to bother with Bubba-ing their stuff with hand tools?

It's much cheaper/more convenient to buy the pistol buffer tube and then either sell it when you're done or use it on the next build. Cutting on a rifle buffer is WAY too much work, a solution in search of a problem.

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    Yes you're paranoid and to add to it, your shop is doing it wrong. They aren't supposed to transfer a stripped lower as a pistol. They're supposed to be transferred as other. I don't know how much of a CYA it is for you if it's not even filled out properly....

Yes, "other" is the proper term these days... since getting my stamp I haven't received a lower recently. Regardless I'd rather have it transferred as pistol or other over rifle is my point.

But regardless, as Traderator put it, if anyone is checking on this stuff your already screwed and they are probably just looking to add extra charges to whatever else they showed up for in the first place.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Very interesting thread. I hadn't even heard of 300BLK before this and now I want an AR chambered in it!

Wonder how expensive this is going to be.

Top Bottom