• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    so i bought a stripped lower from PSA during their sale and I am considering jumping into the NFA game. Now I know that the ATF forms require total length and barrel lengths to be listed . My question is, do I have to have a particular upper already purchased or could I just say I want it to be a 10.5 inch barrel and buy the upper down the line?

If the latter is the case, can I notify the ATF to change the barrel length if I were to get a killer deal on say a 12 inch upper? What if I wanted to own both a 10.5 and a 12?

I'm sure these questions are asked all the time. Thanks in advance.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Yes, write down what barrel length you are intending to use for your SBR. If you are going to eventually buy a 12in upper and still keep your 10.5 upper then there really is no need to notify of a different length as it is still primarily a 10.5 barrel and occasionally 12in. If you sell your 10.5 barrel then you will need to notify of the change to 12in.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, write down what barrel length you are intending to use for your SBR. If you are going to eventually buy a 12in upper and still keep your 10.5 upper then there really is no need to notify of a different length as it is still primarily a 10.5 barrel and occasionally 12in.

So...say he sells the 10.5 (legally of course) and now only hase the 12". Do you have to change the paperwork on the registered lower?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Yes, write down what barrel length you are intending to use for your SBR. If you are going to eventually buy a 12in upper and still keep your 10.5 upper then there really is no need to notify of a different length as it is still primarily a 10.5 barrel and occasionally 12in. If you sell your 10.5 barrel then you will need to notify of the change to 12in.

cool. so is it fair to say then that if i own 1 registered lower, i can have multiple SBR uppers? I just dont trust the whole "intent to make" thing because i have a few non-NFA lowers.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Just make sure you always have an upper for each assembled rifle lower you own, so the claim cannot be made that you intended to put your SBR upper on any non-NFA lower....the very meaning of "constructive intent".

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    are there any local options for engraving? or is the best option Orion Arms? I figure this will probably be my first step after getting my lower. Then filling out the Form 1.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    are there any local options for engraving? or is the best option Orion Arms? I figure this will probably be my first step after getting my lower. Then filling out the Form 1.

Several local options, just do a search for SBR engraving and you'll get plenty of results. I actually choose Laser Scribe (sorry sP3worker, I forgot to call you) in Indy to do it, simply because I wanted the info in the trigger well (and the lower was assembled), but I also wanted my good ol' Eagle, Globe, & Anchor on there also since I had some spare real estate on the mag well. I'll be sure and post pics once I pick it up! (good price too)

Top Bottom