SC officer charged with murder in man's death. Video catches him plant evidence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    With all due respect, malarkey.
    If the folks on INGO are even moderately representative of how the general public views this shooting, that's not just wrong, but totally wrong.
    It's one thing to have nothing but (conflicting and many directly contradicting the physical evidence) eyewitness accounts of a police shooting, with a strongarm robbery caught on surveillance video occurring mere minutes before said shooting to establish the mindset and behavior of the person who was shot; but it's quite another having irrefutable evidence of a bad shoot.
    Not all the unflattering photos of the deceased in the world will change the opinions on the latter event.
    It's distressing that too few people don't have more faith in the ordinary common decency of the average American.

I respect and admire your established faith in the system and hope you are right. I'm not sure how you define common decency, but it's not something that I see very often when faced with these situations.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just like you to come in on page 27. 31 or 32 is where it gets really good. There will be hair-pulling and insults to mothers.

I really wanted to see what course this was going to take before saying much.
    I usually jump in early and shoot myself in the foot.....:)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's a scorching hot take.

Bring the burn cream.

Geraldo: Dashcam Video Gets Officer Slager Off His Murder Charge | Mediaite

The dashcam footage released by North Charleston officials provides enough context about Officer Michael Slager‘s slaying of Walter Scott to get the cop off his murder charge, says Fox’s Geraldo Rivera.

Speaking with Fox & Friends, Rivera, a former attorney, said the video showed that the incident “started as a righteous traffic stop” because 50-year-old Scott was “acting very hinky and edgy” before bolting during the roadside exchange. This provides important context for the officer’s legal case, Rivera said (emphasis added):

"There is reliable eyewitness account that there is then a struggle after the Taser. So, up until that point, the cop with his adrenaline pumping, now he’s been in a physical tussle, and now the perpetrator has reached for the Taser allegedly. Now it gives you the context of his blood boiling. [Officer Slager] has done everything professional and now he’s had this, this civilian has dared to physically have this altercation with the officer. Put that in the officer’s head now. I think it saves him from the murder rap."

Worst thing? He's probably right.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's sorta what I thought when I saw the dashcam. One thing that complicates matters - if he chased him down once, why didn't he do it again?

The jury's gonna have a hard time with that one.

Still, not murder. Smart money is on a reduced charge and significant prison time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's sorta what I thought when I saw the dashcam. One thing that complicates matters - if he chased him down once, why didn't he do it again?

The jury's gonna have a hard time with that one.

Still, not murder. Smart money is on a reduced charge and significant prison time.

He is going to get some time for this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Where did he write that?
    It in no way justifies the shooting, and not one person has said it does, but it does explain the state of mind of this guy.
    Further, it's also almost a certainty that Mr. Scott would still be alive had he chosen to stand fast instead.
    One small bad decision leads to two (the shooting itself, then the tampering) colossally bad decisions.
    A mere catalyst, and totally unnecessary, even though the fault is overwhelming on the LEO.

With all due respect, I don't have a flagpole tall enough to raise a BS flag as high as I would like over that belief. How in the world does driving a 90s Mercedes, one we don't know that he even owned, indicate the victim's "state of mind?" The only thing I can say with certainty about this guy was he had more kids than he could afford, he didn't want to go to jail, and made the bad decision to run. None of those are deserving of a death sentence.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think that justifies the use of deadly force on a fleeing person.

Absolutely not. But it muddies the story for a potential jury. I've yet to see anything Walker did to deserve being shot... but the more evidence that he "evaded" the cop, the less harsh the punishment will be for the cop.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Correctional Officers get fired without pay for excessive force, and they usually get fired due to the inmates recollection of the event. They aren't represented by a union in Indiana. There is no advocate to help the CO keep his job from wrongful termination. I have alot of respect for Cops, but there is no fairness in this crap.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think that justifies the use of deadly force on a fleeing person.

That wasn't the point.

Geraldo's observation about how the guy fled the vehicle informs his conclusion that a jury is unlikely to go for a murder charge. It doesn't make the use of deadly force justified. It makes the murder charge a stretch.

Consider this - INGOtarian homeowner hears the crash at oh-dark-thirty, grabs his nighstand gun (likely a Glock), and rushes downstairs. In the confusion and darkness, there's an altercation with the intruder. Baddie breaks free and gets 10 yards out the door into the yard when INGOtarian shoots him half a dozen times in the back.

Murder?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    That wasn't the point.

Geraldo's observation about how the guy fled the vehicle informs his conclusion that a jury is unlikely to go for a murder charge. It doesn't make the use of deadly force justified. It makes the murder charge a stretch.

Consider this - INGOtarian homeowner hears the crash at oh-dark-thirty, grabs his nighstand gun (likely a Glock), and rushes downstairs. In the confusion and darkness, there's an altercation with the intruder. Baddie breaks free and gets 10 yards out the door into the yard when INGOtarian shoots him half a dozen times in the back.

Murder?
    Yes, it is.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here's a scorching hot take.

Bring the burn cream.

Geraldo: Dashcam Video Gets Officer Slager Off His Murder Charge | Mediaite

Worst thing? He's probably right.

Geraldo? I think he's wrong, and I think he knows he's wrong. What I think he's doing, is fanning the flames to get people stirred up over the possibility that the murderer might get off. He's playing it up because it, unfortunately, makes good TV.

In case you guys don't get it, you can't shoot a guy, running away in the back simply because he's fleeing. Even if he fought the officer, once he disengages, shooting is a no go, unless the officer believes there is an imminent felony about to occur if you let him escape or if the officer believes his or another's safety is imminently at risk.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, it is.

Not in Indiana. (Well, unlikely, at least.)

Parker v. State :: 1981 :: Indiana Court of Appeals Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: U.S. Law :: Justia (woman basically set a trap for estranged husband and killed him after she testified they had an altercation - involuntary manslaughter)

Geralds v. State :: 1995 :: Indiana Court of Appeals Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: U.S. Law :: Justia (guns shop owner shot a would-be burglar as he was running away - involuntary manslaughter) (This one also features a high powered 9mm machine gun.) :)

ETA

Dang! How could I forget Fred Sanders! Killed IPD Officer Matt Faber by shooting him in the back with a shotgun. Charged with murder, resulted in guilty plea to Involuntary Manslaughter.

And here's a case of a murder charge that a jury convicted of ... aggravated battery.
    http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/06190801cld.pdf

I'm just tellin' ya that the murder conviction isn't a done deal.

Last edited:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Geraldo? I think he's wrong, and I think he knows he's wrong. What I think he's doing, is fanning the flames to get people stirred up over the possibility that the murderer might get off. He's playing it up because it, unfortunately, makes good TV.

In case you guys don't get it, you can't shoot a guy, running away in the back simply because he's fleeing. Even if he fought the officer, once he disengages, shooting is a no go, unless the officer believes there is an imminent felony about to occur if you let him escape or if the officer believes his or another's safety is imminently at risk.
    Kut........Kut......I can't believe it

I agree with you (the sun may explode today)

Top Bottom