• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I am trying to set up a baofeng with local channels to scan. Still learning terminology, etc. This is from radioreference - Does the DPL tone mean that it is digital? I thought because it was FMN that it was scannable by us mere mortals.

1694522629615.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You just may not be on frequency when they are actually transmitting? Or maybe they have changed to a modern digital trunked system?

Tones dont encrypt. they only trigger a repeater to actually open and accept the traffic. So for instance if you typed in the frequency on your radio and nothing else and keyed up, the repeater would ignore your traffic.

And if you setup privacy tones on your radios, everyone on frequency (without privacy tones set) can still hear you. Your radio just doesnt "light up" when somebody on the same frequency without a tone transmits. Your radio just ignores them.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    It seems like Hendricks County Fire (and many others) has adopted the "Hoosier Safe-T public safety radio system" which is a digital setup.

Frankly, scanning with a Baofeng is super slow and unreliable.
    A dedicated scanner is far more flexible, faster and typically has a longer battery life.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    It seems like Hendricks County Fire (and many others) has adopted the "Hoosier Safe-T public safety radio system" which is a digital setup.

A dedicated scanner is far more flexible, faster and typically has a longer battery life.
    Is there a particular (digital) scanner you would recommend?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

They really are slow, but if you keep the scanned channel set small, they do OK. I have one set up to scan a handful of local repeaters. There are only 3 or 4 in that group, so it does a decent job scanning those.

For a larger scan set, I use an FT65R, VX-6R or IC-92AD. Those do much better scanning a large group of channels.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    Is there a particular (digital) scanner you would recommend?
    Hendricks County is a simulcast system. The only reliable scanner that works with simulcast is the Uniden SDS-100/200.

.38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I 2nd the SDS 100. It will pick up fire, Ems, police no problem. they are programmable also, well worth the money.

Top Bottom