• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    shooter_SCAR.jpg

I was able to shoot the one belonging to Steve MI over the weekend. LOVED the scope he had on it (Trijicon TR-24); the rifle itself, not so much. It was light but bulky, the bottom/front end of the handguard rail got uncomfortably hot in a hurry, the location of the forward sling mount and the reciprocating charging handle complicated placement of the support hand, and the recoil sensation was kinda strange (very soft, but you could feel the bolt "ka-chunking" through its entire movement cycle; Pat Rogers has likened it to "a cement truck going through a tunnel"). This was on the suppressed setting. akaindy fired it on both gas settings, and said non-suppressed felt much more lively. Travis from Magpul was able to consistently induce failures to feed by mono-podding the gun on its magazine (a PMAG) when firing from the prone.

This experience, coupled with the unit price and the complete lack of parts/barrels/accessory availability from FN, has almost completely turned me off to the gun.

My :twocents:

I know Steve MI likes the SCAR quite a bit, and there are others here who do, as well. akaindy and Cwood got to run it a little bit this weekend, as well; maybe they'll chime in with their thoughts.

Last edited:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    you can pretty much throw out other peoples reviews. its about a 50/50 split on people who love/hate them. seems like its this way with every gun. the only way to really know if you like it is to handle it yourself.

Aaron B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    SE MI
    Travis from Magpul was able to consistently induce failures to feed by mono-podding the gun on its magazine (a PMAG) when firing from the prone.

Interesting, did he try other mags or just the one? What kind of failures was he getting? I shot Steve's a little, not enough to get a firm opinion, but enough to intrigue me - I really like how it shouldered for me. I want to run one a little harder and get a better opinion on them. I would hesitate on price and lack of spare parts as well for right now. That TR-24 is the cat's a** though.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Interesting, did he try other mags or just the one? What kind of failures was he getting? I shot Steve's a little, not enough to get a firm opinion, but enough to intrigue me - I really like how it shouldered for me. I want to run one a little harder and get a better opinion on them. I would hesitate on price and lack of spare parts as well for right now. That TR-24 is the cat's a** though.

We only had 3 PMAGS available when we shot the Scar. It was said that with EMAGS it will mono pod.

Overall I like the Scar although it would take me awhile to get used to all the polymer. I would have to be able to shoot one for a whole range session or one day of a carbine class before I went ahead and bought one. :twocents:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    My impression

I normally don't do them but ....

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG
    BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG

sorry could not resist.

Shot one at the range, did not care for the "feel" of it at all. It is a bit on the expen$ive side too. I've not tried it but heard they don't like pmags and I have too many of them to have a weapon that does not like them. On the positive side it is off the scale on "cool factor" for looks.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks for the info fellas. I hope they take p mags because I have a bunch of them also.
    Most of the things I have read online have been positive. I have also read some negative things but hey, you can read negative things about any rifle.
    I'm getting a decent price on it so I figure its worth checking out.

Top Bottom