• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReillyM3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2017
    Columbus
    hi guys and gals, im thinking about picking up a scar 16 for a new range toy, is there anything else I should be looking at around the same price?

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    SCAR- take the plunge and do it. Well made, tested and relatively lightweight. Had an ACR, liked it a lot, but the SCAR wins.

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    SCAR- take the plunge and do it. Well made, tested and relatively lightweight. Had an ACR, liked it a lot, but the SCAR wins!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I like the SCAR but do not own one. I would be torn between the 16S and the 17S. I ended up picking up a Bren 2 in 7.62x39 because I already had a FAL and plenty of 5.56 guns.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    At today’s SCAR prices? Gently used Honda Civic or max out your Roth for the year
    :lmfao:
    I tend to agree. I sold my Belgium 17 right before the panic, and kind of miss it. But there is no way I would spend what they are currently going for.

If you've got the cash to do it though, go for it. It's a great proven platform.

And to echo a few of the others, there are a lot of really great alternatives out there too. I would second the suggestion of the IWI ACE as an AR (or SCAR) alternative. I like mine more and more, as I put time on it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a SCAR 17, and love it. Here is where I land on the whole thing.

I can build an uber accurate AR15 for quite a bit less money than the SCAR 16s. I can not build an uber accurate AR10 for quite a bit less than the SCAR 17. For me the 17 absolutely makes sense. I've had mine out to 900 yards, and shot a 5 shot group of 8 inch's. That's the most accurate "battle rifle" I know of.

If I saw a SCAR 16 for around 1500 bucks I would grab it. At 1700 I would pass.

Another big down side to the SCAR is the parts and all over the top expensive. Id like to turning into a 6mm creed/6.5 creed/243 etc, but not at what a barrel assembly costs.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy

I can build an uber accurate AR15 for quite a bit less money than the SCAR 16s. I can not build an uber accurate AR10 for quite a bit less than the SCAR 17. For me the 17 absolutely makes sense. I've had mine out to 900 yards, and shot a 5 shot group of 8 inch's. That's the most accurate "battle rifle" I know of.

Another big down side to the SCAR is the parts and all over the top expensive. Id like to turning into a 6mm creed/6.5 creed/243 etc, but not at what a barrel assembly costs.
    Super late coming back to this but I agree, its an excellent firearm. I ran one for a full training cycle and deployment. 10.5" barrel and AAC suppressor, incredible combo since it has an integrated switchblock. I'm sure a dedicated 5.56 is better than what I had. We had a bunch of conversion kits that allowed us to swap from the 5.56 to 7.62 in a heart beat so I'm sure the dedicated platforms are happier weapons.

Straight up, just couldn't get used to that reciprocating charging handle.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I own an ace and a scar 16. I love the 16, but it was damn expensive and I keep putting even more money into it for upgrades. If you're going to get one try to snag one of the new production ones right from FN so you don't pay GB or used market pricing. FN just dropped another batch of 16's and they hit some stores recently. They sell almost instantly.

There was talk of never seeing the 16's again, but that obviously wasn't the case. The Belgian Scar 16's on the other hand are no more and will likely be more collectible/ desirable in the long run.

As for the galil ace, it's one of my favorite platforms. Just think of it as an AK brought into the 21st century with superior controls and machining. I currently own one in 308, but if the market ever settles down I'll own one in every caliber they make. I'm being hopeful, but they're fantastic rifles.

LiveFreeOrDie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2019
    Crown Point
    hi guys and gals, im thinking about picking up a scar 16 for a new range toy, is there anything else I should be looking at around the same price?
    You can't go wrong with the SCAR. I love my SCAR 17 but the only problem I am having is waiting until HDD has the SCAR 16 conversion kits in stock. Then I can switch between 308 and 556 SCAR platforms in just a couple minutes.

LiveFreeOrDie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2019
    Crown Point
    Super late coming back to this but I agree, its an excellent firearm. I ran one for a full training cycle and deployment. 10.5" barrel and AAC suppressor, incredible combo since it has an integrated switchblock. I'm sure a dedicated 5.56 is better than what I had. We had a bunch of conversion kits that allowed us to swap from the 5.56 to 7.62 in a heart beat so I'm sure the dedicated platforms are happier weapons.

Straight up, just couldn't get used to that reciprocating charging handle.
    Just add a vertical grip and the problem is solved. Really not that big of an issue, you can also run it on the right side like an AK. I have a folding charging handle on my SCAR 17 and that makes it an even smaller handle.

LiveFreeOrDie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2019
    Crown Point

Don't ever listen to anyone that tells you they can build a better rifle than a SCAR, MCX, ETC. If they really could then they would design guns for a living and wouldn't complain about something being too expensive.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    My buddy has a SCAR and it is nice but IMO I like my MCX better. They are both great rifles and think it's more of a personal preference for me. Tbh I like my Barrett Rec7 gen2 more than either though. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom