• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    Here is the scenario. Your at home, in bed, 00:30 (12:30am) and your home security alarm goes off. Starts beeping. You have <25 seconds to respond (presuming you woke up at the first beep.

How do you handle it? What do you do?

So this is fresh in my mind as it happened last night, and now reflecting on it, I don't think I responded correctly.

So all the above happened. The alarm panel in the MBDRM doesn't show me where it's going off at. So I disarm the alarm, now it says Fault Garage door (interior), open the safe (tumbler just needed turned) and grab the Sig 229 40 (glock was in the kitchen) Then I proceed to the garage door, and see it standing open.

Now at this point I knew what was happening. The last couple of days with the wind, for some reason the interior garage door hadn't been shutting all the way and the wind would blow it open. (I'm sure thats what happened) so all is safe. Plus the dog's weren't barking, dobe was asleep on the couch next to the garage door and the other in the mbdrm was sleeping too.

However reflecting on it, I'm not sure I handled it properly. By the time I had awakened, got out of bed and look at the key panel, it is now doing the last 10 second fast beep. Here are the scenarios I'm wondering if I should of done, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

1) Let the alarm keep beeping, have 10 seconds until the main alarm goes off. Let it go off as I goto investigate. Should I not make it back, the alarm goes off, the alarm co calls the house, pd and reacts appropriately. Or I find it's a false positive then I disarm the system, alarm co calls and I give them my pw.

2) Disarm the system. Have the wife standby the panel with shotgun, 45, 9mm etc.. Should I not make it back she can enter in the duress # and police show up.

3) similar to 1. But have the wife standing by to enter the disarm or duress code depending what happens.

Other thoughts?

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I only have one panel, and it is right by the back door. My plan is to let it beep out and have the alarm company send the police. I plan on being at the top of the stairs making sure no bad guys can get up to me or my wife, until the police come and I see or hear them.

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks. I am planning on going with let the alarm go off, while I investigate. With the wife armed and me checking things out. If need be she can then cancel the call or direct them to where the issue is.

I was more on the side that I hadn't planned on it. And it caught us off guard. I guess I had plans of it working and all while we weren't home, but hadn't really put a plan together for when we were home. Now we have 1, and the shot gun is loaded for her.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    My plan is only the way it is because any bad guy would be between me and the alarm panel. If I had one upstairs, I would probably kill the alarm and call the police myself. I will get a pretty quick response because of my profession, and cutting out the alarm company middle man would get the police to my house more quickly than letting the beeping run out. Of course, this assumes that I hear the panel in the first place . . .

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Well I'm really glad they are looking out for you and a bit disturbed to hear your average citizen might get a slower response. All the more reason to own a gun.

I am also LEO and they would get here quick to keep their prosecutor's safe? They have been out once for an alarm and that was the case.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    To be honest, I doubt the time would be much different, but the amount of officers sent might differ. Luckily, the only alarm so far was in the middle of the day and I wasn't home. My plan is to call them and say "This is deputy prosector Episcopus, address whatever and my alarm is going off." Who knows what will happen then. The way the time will differ will be cutting out the time it takes for the alarm company to call me, ask if everything is ok, then call the police and send them.

Sorry nofear, I didn't mean to steal your thread :)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks. I am planning on going with let the alarm go off, while I investigate. With the wife armed and me checking things out. If need be she can then cancel the call or direct them to where the issue is.

+1. Honestly, I would rather deescalate/neutralize possibilities of threat before the police get there... because if they (security or police) call and I clear the house, I can tell them it was a false alarm.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I would let the alarm go off! I could clear all areas of my house on my ways to the garage. Once I found out it was a garage door open and I knew why it was open, it would be secured and disregard the police with a call to the alaram company. The only reson for letting the alarm go off is the police will respond and if need I want the on my way. Not after I get involved in a shooting or I have a person found in my home at gun point.

Just my 2 cents.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Assess, check the kids' bedroom, further assess. I would let the alarm beep until convinced that there is no threat.

I think having a dog in the house is a big plus.

ETA: I absolutely hate it when sometimes during lightning, my alarm will let off this loud, shrieking noise that's is somehow louder and more alarming than when it sounds for an open window, door, or broken glass. :xmad:

Last edited:

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    I totally agree. I've discussed it now with the wife on what we are to do if it something like this were to happen.

We let the Alarm sound, she has phone in hand (maybe the shotgun as well) while I go to investigate (should I go to investigate I think she should go but we don't agree on it :)) and if given the all clear we disarm the panel while talking to the Alarm co, or police etc..

I hope though through my lack of planning (ie experience) others can plan and be ready.

Top Bottom