• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Has anyone here used the Scepter commercial (non-military) gas cans?

What do you think of them?

I have some military water cans and they are incredible. I was just wondering if the commercial ones are as heavy duty. Is the only difference the spout? I know people don't like the CARB spouts, but we don't have a choice anymore.

I'm just trying to find something that is heavy duty, stores well, and seals well. I have heard good things about the metal safety cans, but I think I would prefer plastic.

Thanks!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    No, was looking online... that is why I was asking here to see if anyone has seen them in person. The plastic on my water cans is incredibly thick. I would really like the gas cans to be as good as my water cans.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    No, was looking online... that is why I was asking here to see if anyone has seen them in person. The plastic on my water cans is incredibly thick. I would really like the gas cans to be as good as my water cans.
    From my understanding the Civilian ones are just a different color from their Mil-spec line...

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    There are other major differences.

They have CARB compliant spouts rather than the simple high flow spouts. I have heard the CARB spouts are incredibly slow and overall a PITA.

They also only have one handle (not a huge deal for me).

With all of those differences I wasn't sure if the plastic was different.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    There are other major differences.

They have CARB compliant spouts rather than the simple high flow spouts. I have heard the CARB spouts are incredibly slow and overall a PITA.

They also only have one handle (not a huge deal for me).

With all of those differences I wasn't sure if the plastic was different.
    I believe the Mil-spec ones only have one handle as well.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    No, they have 3. They have 3 so you can hold 2 at a time. The only reason the military water tanks only have one handle is so you can easily differentiate from fuel in the dark.

I wonder how many times they dumped water in a fuel tank before deciding to do that.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    No, they have 3. They have 3 so you can hold 2 at a time. The only reason the military water tanks only have one handle is so you can easily differentiate from fuel in the dark.

I wonder how many times they dumped water in a fuel tank before deciding to do that.
    Been awhile since I have had to use either...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes the CARB ones are slowed but give the user more time to react to spills and better control of the liquid coming out.
    http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Findings/FoundationFindings43/FF43Web.pdf
    How are we supposed to react to the spills? My CARB spout, even if used properly leaks so bad that can be considered a spill all by itself and it really makes me mad.:xmad: Is that what they mean by react to the spills? That's how I react to them. So ironic this crap that was meant to save the environment is polluting it even worse because they stupid things leak all the time.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    i found the fat square ones at Tractor Supply Company for 14.99. ive only had them a few months but they seem to seal well(there are always fumes vented when i unscrew the cap). as for the spout, i don't use it. i got a long flex funnel from home depot and i use that. but for the money i think they work alright, i keep 25 gal covered in the back yard for SHTF .

Top Bottom