• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering if other schools are requiring background checks for volunteers etc? I was told Friday that I may not be able to help out Tuesday at the MJMS AG Olympics at the Fair, until my background check is completed I was told by the new principal if it does not come back in time I can not help out. I tried to explain to her why that that really was not necessary . She was hearing nothing I said. At this point I asked her you are not very observant are you? Her response was a very rude we are done here!

Appears the front office lady, best friends with my wife tried to let her know she did not need to request check Unless she wanted to look like an Idiot. But being the new principal for less than a month and being from California she was listening to no one.

About an hour or so later I was told she got a call from the Superintendent asking her what she was thinking and on what level she thought it was ok to be rude to me? Granted I did not say a word, looks like I did not have to. So needless to say helping out will be no issue going forward.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    It's been a while, but when I was still doing non-employee volunteering at some local schools they not only wanted a background check but wanted the volunteer to pay for it. It was $99. They lost a lot of volunteers.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just wondering if other schools are requiring background checks for volunteers etc? I was told Friday that I may not be able to help out Tuesday at the MJMS AG Olympics at the Fair, until my background check is completed.
    It started going on when my two were in JH school a dozen? years ago in Southern Maryland. .

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It's been a while, but when I was still doing non-employee volunteering at some local schools they not only wanted a background check but wanted the volunteer to pay for it. It was $99. They lost a lot of volunteers.
    Same at our district. I was asked to work football games that was a hard pass.

Although I will gladly help out for FFA, and spirit night.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I seem to remember something about a background check at one point when my kids were in their later years at school, but I could be mistaken. I would volunteer when the kids were smaller, but was done with it by the time they were older and I recall the background check becoming a thing.

That said, I'm guessing there are cases where folks come back as sex offenders, etc. I'm curious, did they give the details of the background check, who would have access to the results (guessing the school gives some criteria and they may only get a yes or no for privacy reasons), and what the criteria with which they would disqualify?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I seem to remember something about a background check at one point when my kids were in their later years at school, but I could be mistaken. I would volunteer when the kids were smaller, but was done with it by the time they were older and I recall the background check becoming a thing.
    My wife Is a teacher and they kind of expect free labor at events etc so I like to help out as well. Plus some of the teachers in the building can not stand me think I am an arrogant ***Hat.

so really it’s a win win.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife Is a teacher and they kind of expect free labor at events etc so I like to help out as well. Plus some of the teachers in the building can not stand me think I am an arrogant ***Hat.

so really it’s a win win.
    I get it. Good to volunteer. For me it lost the fun factor when the kids got older. I used to volunteer for field days, etc in elementary school days. I just wasn't all into volunteering for stuff like band, etc when the kids were in high school, and they wanted to work you like a Hebrew slave for free.

Top Bottom