• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I am currently enrolled in a local college class where we are discussing some rather different material. This class is online, and holds a weekly "discussion board" where students post answers to weekly questions along with responses to other students answers.
    Last week the question arose regarding facial scanners and their use in public in America. The question required the student to speak about whether or not they agreed with the scanners use and why. This weeks question involves microchips and their use in humans for medical and location uses.
    I'm sort of beginning to see a trend here with both the questions and the answers. It's just odd really. So many students (free Americans) speaking about how much liberty and freedom they would be willing to give up if it made the states "safer"! :noway:
    Oh well....From what I've heard, I guess most schools push these types of agendas and ideas from time to time. I'll do my work, say my piece, and move on.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll do my work, say my piece, and move on.

That's the best you can do, especially in that environment. Stick to facts, and don't fall for the emotion. Even if no one changes their position, at least they know other positions are available.

If you don't mind me asking, what software does your class use?

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    That's the best you can do, especially in that environment. Stick to facts, and don't fall for the emotion. Even if no one changes their position, at least they know other positions are available.

If you don't mind me asking, what software does your class use?

That's all I plan to do, but the odd thing is I'm not sure that these people have EVER thought about not saying "ok government, you know best." :dunno:
    Software...I believe it's a generic online software called Angel.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    I am curious what the title of this class is. I have recently been hired to teach a class that these questions could fit. One reason I was hired is that I have a business-world background (not a teaching background). One of the main aspects of my class is to help the students open their minds to all the options regarding a question/situation. So, to push them to consider alternative ideas.

dsells13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have taken a few online classes and in a sociology class, we discussed 2nd Amendment. It was painful to read how little some people care for the 2nd Amendment. You get your basic "guns are dumb, no one needs them", and I swear I filled out a 2 page response to that discussion board post. :P

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I recognize "Angel" and think I know which College you are attending. I completed my masters as part of a online/in residence program at a school that used the same software.

Similar discussion forums as well, and actually had a few similar questions in some of the Law and HR classes.

Interestingly enough it wasn't being "pushed" like it seem sto be in your class. If anything it was more of an opposite approach, but I know every professor is different.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'll do my work, say my piece, and move on.

As we all should. This is also why I'm always saying "you can't scream reason". Radical ideas, whether they are what someone is actually advocating or just as an intellectual exercise, attract those who will accept them without thinking. It is much easier to jump to conclusions than actually evaluating facts and making an informed decision.

This sound alot like a critical thinking class. Ironicly you will probably be the only one really using critical thinking.

I agree, on both counts.

Top Bottom