• ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm at a nexus.
    I've been reloading for a few years and worked up a few "favorite" loads in .45 and 9mm.
    In the past, I was just trying to replicate the bargain bulk ammo I was purchasing at WalMart and online.

I'm moving on to a new powder... it probably doesn't matter what i'm using now or what I'm leaving behind. But at the end of the day, I'm going to have to work up all new load data. Leaving PB for Tightgroup. Cause they don't make PB anymore. And I have a few lbs of Titegroup.

I was pretty effective with PB. Solid, repeatable performance with a few different bullet weights in .45. But I was only loading 9mm in 115 gr. Same as Winchester White box. A little snappier. But that was what I was going for.

I've got some berrys bullets in 115 and some Hornady hollow points. And I'll work through some loads with them until I run out. But I'm liking the polymer coated bullets as they seem to be significantly harder than berrys. Well, its not just 'seeming' -its reality. And I find them easier to load to a common standard when using mixed brass.

So...
    The question is, since I'm getting low on range projectiles, and have no more commitment to my old powder or lead, should I be looking in another direction?

Appreciate any and all input...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have had good luck with polymer coated bullets, as well as the "black bullet". WHen I can get plated from Xtreme fr the same price or less, I go that route.

My Beretta and Springfield 9mm's group better with the 124 grain projectiles than 115's. Played very little with the 147's, didn't see too much advantage, unless you want low velocity for a suppressor. The heavier 124 gr bullets also give an edge slapping down steel, not like a 230 gr .45, but a down is down on the score card.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I just recently loaded up some xtreme 147gr hp's in front of 3.3 gr of titegroup. They shot really nice. Aidan, my 12 year old loved shooting them. The felt recoil was smooth and more of a push like 45 than the snap of 9 or 40. I didn't do accuracy testing for groups. Just shooting at a steel plate. They were all on target. Once I get a bit more time, I will be doing some more accuracy testing with groups.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I chose the 147 because after doing a little reading, I found they can be loaded to be soft shooters and they are good for knocking down steel and or bowling pins. We learned the hard way that bowling pins just laugh at 115gr rn bullets. Lol

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    How much time do you have??

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171403-Powder-Coating-Boolits
    ^^^ This has worked for me lately.
    YES, it is more work, but, to me the rewards are worth it.
    I, like Leo said, like the 124/125gr. weight better. I cast my own, though most all of the Mfg's have already coated projectiles if you choose to go that route. Some sell un-lubed bullets for you to powder coat on your own..Just contact them if you want to go that way.

One of the VERY few Lee tools that I have are the Six Gang molds for casting handgun bullets. For 9MM I cast a 125gr. RN, Powder Coat, bake, size, and load as normal. These loads do NOT smoke anymore than a jacketed/plated bullet, and are GREAT to shoot in Glocks, along with the other Poly barrels...They DO NOT lead the barrel if sized for your barrel. I run my 125gr. 9MM up to 1100fps. with NO lead in my Glocks and CZ's. I size my 9MM to .357" and my .45acp's to .452".

TiteGroup is not your friend for Cast Bullets. Too hot/flash. Is also REAL easy to overcharge TiteGroup. I use mostly HP-38/WW-231 for my cast loads. If I want a little more speed, I'll go to PowerPistol or HS-6.

Give the Polymer bullets a "Shot", I think that you will like them..Bill.

PS: If you choose to coat your own, buy QUALITY PC paint..Better final coverage than Harbor Freight PC.

PPS: Take "Several" hours over @ the Cast Boolits web site..Worth the time..

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My Ruger P-series arms like 124 gr Montana Gold JHP best. Not always consistent expansion, but accurate. Not dirty or flashy over Clays. Rounds for less than 12 cents each.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have 2k 115 gr 9mm that I loaded using Xtreme bullets. I will not load anymore of these. I will stick with 125 or 147.

I shoot 147gr Blue Bullets over 3.1 gr TG. This make for a soft shooting round that will still knock down steel. I would consider 124 gr too.

I like the higher gr because the are softer shooting.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I just got into reloading, and bought 2k rounds of 115 gr bullets. I worked up a load that doesn't blow my hand off, so I am happy at this point in time in my reloading 'career'. Then all my buddies say 124 or 147 grain is more accurate. :dunno:
    I'm chalking it up to 'live and learn'. Next batch of bullets will be 147 grain. Certainly can't hurt to try next go around. ymmv

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just got into reloading, and bought 2k rounds of 115 gr bullets. I worked up a load that doesn't blow my hand off, so I am happy at this point in time in my reloading 'career'. Then all my buddies say 124 or 147 grain is more accurate. :dunno:
    I'm chalking it up to 'live and learn'. Next batch of bullets will be 147 grain. Certainly can't hurt to try next go around. ymmv

This sorta happened to me also. I asked my brother awhile back about shooting 124 or 147's and his comment was: "meh, I don't really see a difference. May as well stick with 115's". So I bought about 2k of 115gr FMJ's. Now he's saying he really likes the heavier bullets better because of the felt recoil and other factors. Go figure. Thanks bro.:)

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I spent many years shooting nothing but lead. 124gr over 4gr of 231. To be honest, I just never tried anything but 231 for .380, 9mm, .40, and .45. It works and as never left me thinking I needed to find a powder that did something different.

I'd load what you have and go shooting. Make your decision based on performance.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Wish this thread had come out about four weeks ago! Just bought 1K of 115s!
    Shoot em! You'll be just fine.

The reason most people report less recoil with heavier bullets is actually not the bullet itself. It's because the heavier bullets have much lighter charges, generally.

For example, the starting load of an 80gr Barnes is 5.2gr of Longshot, but MAX load for a 147gr XTP is only 4.7gr of the same powder.

Under a 147gr XTP, a middling load for a light bullet would be positively nuclear.

Side note: since many bullets are the same price across weights, buying the heavier bullets saves money on powder, sometimes it can be 25% less powder or more.

Top Bottom