• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've got some upcoming projects and I've decided to by a pneumatic framing nailer. What should I look for? I'm assuming that the full head style results in a stronger bond than a clipped head but ? This won't be used at a production level so I don't need Cadillac just a reliable chevy or ford would be sufficient. I'm thinking Bosch since I have experience with their power tools and have been happy with them. Thanks for your input.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Clipped head isn't really weaker than full head. It's a matter of how they are designed to feed. Your strength comes from the glue on the shank of the nail, anyway. We use Bostich at work. I personally don't like the Paslode gas guns at all, for the simple fact of their weight and bulk.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I worked for ITW for about 6 years. We sold Paslode to the trades and Duo-Fast to the factories. The Paslode corded framer is pretty good. You can get a full round head on them. Bostitch is pretty good though I wouldn't have said that when I was with ITW.

The Paslode F350S is pretty good. Stick with a 30 degree nail. 20 degree nails are harder to find.

I agree with Woobie on the cordless(gas operated) guns. They actually were never intended to be used as a main tool. The real purpose was when air just was not convenient. If I was to have a cordless tool, I would darn sure have a corded one for most of my work.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've got a cheap Grip Rite GRTFC 83 that I got at Lowe's a couple of years ago that has served me well. Shoots 30 deg clipped or full round head nails and has both bump and sequential modes. You are more than welcome to try it out or borrow it if you like.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have one of the "Ridged" branded pneumatic nailers in the 30* head and love it. Got a great deal on it from Home Depot when they had a sale going on a couple years back an its been perfect fro day one.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have two large Senco's a SN4 and a 325 framer, both shoot clipped nails and are 20 + years old and still work like new. All my trim nailers and hardwood flooring nailers are Bostich and I am very happy with them also.
    I would suggest that you make sure whatever nailer you buy the nails are easy to find locally. Be carefull when buying Generic nails, sometimes the angle of the nails is off alittle and quality might not be there.
    I have friends that over the years that have bought Pasload butane nailers and all love them when the weather is warm but lots of missfires in the cold.
    Also they cycle alot slower than a air driven nailer. It sucks when you are holding up a heavy piece of lumber and you are waiting for your nailer to recharge to shoot another nail. With a Pasload you are not going to rapid fire nails.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just to offer an alternative--I bought the Rigid version of this:

Shop Bostitch Pneumatic Nailer at Lowes.com

It's a different animal than a nail gun but it can drive whatever kind of nail you need to drive. It also works in much tighter quarters than a framing nailer. I used it when I was rebuilding my porch and it worked quite well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

It's a different animal than a nail gun but it can drive whatever kind of nail you need to drive. It also works in much tighter quarters than a framing nailer. I used it when I was rebuilding my porch and it worked quite well.

Those things are super handy! If I wasn't doing a lot of framing and didn't already have tools(from my time with ITW), that is what I would use. Much easier to get into tight quarters and drives the nails like a hot knife through butter!:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have two large Senco's a SN4 and a 325 framer, both shoot clipped nails and are 20 + years old and still work like new. All my trim nailers and hardwood flooring nailers are Bostich and I am very happy with them also.
    I would suggest that you make sure whatever nailer you buy the nails are easy to find locally. Be carefull when buying Generic nails, sometimes the angle of the nails is off alittle and quality might not be there.
    I have friends that over the years that have bought Pasload butane nailers and all love them when the weather is warm but lots of missfires in the cold.
    Also they cycle alot slower than a air driven nailer. It sucks when you are holding up a heavy piece of lumber and you are waiting for your nailer to recharge to shoot another nail. With a Pasload you are not going to rapid fire nails.

Senco is pretty good stuff. I competed against them for years in the factories and they were tough to beat. Plus, most are oil-less which is better for those that don't follow strict tool maintenance.

Like a lot of things, the older ones were/are better.

And yes, be careful with generic fasteners. If you are going generic, at least buy one of the more reputable generics.

Also, check out Nail Gun Depot - Cordless & Air Powered Nailers, Nail Guns, Staplers, Nails, Staples They have a good selection of fasteners and tools.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

A lot slower than a gun, but those things are very nice, as you say, for tight quarters.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Senco is pretty good stuff. I competed against them for years in the factories and they were tough to beat. Plus, most are oil-less which is better for those that don't follow strict tool maintenance.

And yes, be careful with generic fasteners. If you are going generic, at least buy one of the more reputable generics.

Also, check out Nail Gun Depot - Cordless & Air Powered Nailers, Nail Guns, Staplers, Nails, Staples They have a good selection of fasteners and tools.

Meh, framing guns are a bit more forgiving than trim guns. We run Grip-rite in our framing Bostich. As long as you get the ones compatible with your gun.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Both of mine are the older aluminum housing nailers.
    The SN4 is a heavy beast,... It's awesome for bounce nailing sheathing or a deck down but you don't want to carry it around framing all day.
    And both of mine have to be oiled.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Those things are super handy! If I wasn't doing a lot of framing and didn't already have tools(from my time with ITW), that is what I would use. Much easier to get into tight quarters and drives the nails like a hot knife through butter!:)

A lot slower than a gun, but those things are very nice, as you say, for tight quarters.

Plus, you can use regular nails. No need to buy the ones that will fit your particular gun. A 16p nail is a 16p nail as far as this thing is concerned. And yeah, it's not fast like a nail gun and you have to load the nails one at a time but it does drive that nail home in a second or so.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    +1for the older senco nailers. The newer ones we run at work don't seem to last as long before needing service. Buying used is a crapshoot though. For project work at home any NAME BRAND nailer will serve you well. Just no CH,harbor freight,tool shop stuff. They are made to a price and can't be rebuilt easily.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have boxes of 5000 ofGrlp rite assorted lengths finish nails.I have ran probably ran 10,000 through my Senco with no issues.If someone is interested,I could make up some assorted lots for a fair price.My framer is a old Stanley Bostich,and it keeps going

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I've framed a bunch of stuff with a Paslode cordless and would by again in a heart beat. However, I would be interested in trying out one of the new Dewalts because I heard they don't use gas...

Top Bottom