• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edjer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got an old Winchester Model 1200 12ga hunting shotgun. I've purchased a tactical stock conversion kit and will need to shorten the barrel to 18-1/2" for home defense.

I don't know what I don't know.

I was just planning on using my Ryobi miter saw with a fine metal blade and chopping off the barrel to 18-1/2 inches. Smoothing off the cut with fine emory paper and touching up the exposed metal edge with paint.

What does the collective wisdom of INGO say...?

Thanks.
    Ed

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I used a hack saw on a rusty old barrel. What I learned from that is make sure that you are truly cutting it at a 90 degree angle and TAKE YOUR TIME.

I've never cut a shotgun barrel... but would a pipe cutter work? You'd get as close to a perfect 90 deg angle as you'll probably get. If it wouldn't cut the barrel, you could at least score the barrel to give you a good cutting guide.

Edit:
    Use a pipe cutter...makes things much more square...

You ninja'd me! great minds think alike!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've got an old Winchester Model 1200 12ga hunting shotgun. I've purchased a tactical stock conversion kit and will need to shorten the barrel to 18-1/2" for home defense.

I was just planning on using my Ryobi miter saw with a fine metal blade and chopping off the barrel to 18-1/2 inches. Smoothing off the cut with fine emory paper and touching up the exposed metal edge with paint.

Thanks.
    Ed
    I know absolutely nothing about cutting barrels. Your plan sounds good to me ha. Measure twice cut once! Good luck!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Use a pipe cutter...makes things much more square...

I did this, worked perfectly. Went slowly, didnt try to cut it in one revolution and it made a perfect cut. Took a fine rattail file to smooth the inside and some cold blueing on the cut edge and it looks like a professional job.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

Thanks.
    Ed

I have cut numerous barrels and the mitter saw will be the easiest. Just cut slow and I would cut 18 3/4 inches just to be on the safe side on the length.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. Once everythin was good and straight i then used a file to smooth it down. But mine was an old rusted barrel and after that i flat blacked it with krylon. You wouldnt know that it was cut down unless you were a gun nut and really inspected it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also to remember (and shouldn't be an issue with this particular shotgun) but be sure the over-all length is still 26" or longer.

Typically only an issue with non-repeating shotguns - but there are TWO different length requirements for us. Barrel AND OAL.

-J-

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A pipe cutter is the only way to go. I have cut off several, and it only takes a couple of minutes. Remove the burr, put on a little cold blue, and your good to go. I also installed a small bead sight, available at Brownells.

Just remember the length limitations to stay legal.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

Top Bottom