Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    School: "It's a distraction!"
    Student: "It's been there all year..."
    School: "It's a safety issue!"
    Police: "Nope, they're good!"
    School: "We'll illegally modify your truck and remove it, and then denigrate the flag by letting it touch the ground!"
    Student:" I have replacement bolts, they're going back up!"
    School: "Don't you dare defy us!"
    Student: "Yeah, me and a few friends just got done upgrading our wheels...."

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember driving on the highway soon after 911 and found myself behind a pickup with a wooden flagpole, the kind meant to hang on the side of your house, with a flag about two and a half by about four feet. The wooden pole was held in the corner of the truck bed with ropes and duct tape, and as he drove, the pole was bending and the flag was rippling wildly.

I got out from behind him as soon as I could, because that flag looked like it was gonna fly out of that truck and cause an accident. I figured at the time that he was not likely to be stopped by a police officer and cited for the obvious safety hazard, given the mood of the country at that time.

I would want to know that the flag that this kid had on his truck was in compliance with safety rules before I got myself worked up about it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I could easily see a school having a policy that prohibits a student from driving a vehicle to school that is not "street legal".

Sure, but that's a different matter. I would assume that *most* school districts have a policy requiring student vehicles to be legal. But that has nothing to do with a flag.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I remember driving on the highway soon after 911 and found myself behind a pickup with a wooden flagpole, the kind meant to hang on the side of your house, with a flag about two and a half by about four feet. The wooden pole was held in the corner of the truck bed with ropes and duct tape, and as he drove, the pole was bending and the flag was rippling wildly.

I got out from behind him as soon as I could, because that flag looked like it was gonna fly out of that truck and cause an accident. I figured at the time that he was not likely to be stopped by a police officer and cited for the obvious safety hazard, given the mood of the country at that time.

I would want to know that the flag that this kid had on his truck was in compliance with safety rules before I got myself worked up about it.

Wasn't there one of those Allstate commercials where the guy in the suit "was a flag" that ripped off and hit another car?

Found it:
    [video=youtube;u8VGWdkw4yA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VGWdkw4yA[/video]

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's long past time for a little tough love for the perpetually offended. Let them find the coping skills they have buried deep, deep, down in their brains and learn how to use them when they are told "mind your own damned business" or "get over it". Not every offense should rise to the level of interfering with another's pursuit of happiness...quit allowing them to do so.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And, if that student's flag ripped off and caused a collision (or any other property damage or injury), he should be held accountable by the PROPER authorities.

Until then? It is outside of the school's purview.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

This is my only concern throughout this story. I'm reminded of the lyrics to Will Smith's song Summertime:

[video=youtube;Kr0tTbTbmVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA[/video]

But you can't speed through.
    Two miles an hour, so everybody sees you.

I'd certainly observe a lower than normal speed limit while I had Old Glory flying high and proud from my vehicle.

This story just reinforces my position that zero-tolerance policies in public schools are properly called zero-intelligence policies, because these yahoos are certainly not thinking before they act in oh so many stories I'm reading about in the media. And yes, I know this story didn't technicly involve a zero-tolerance policy, but the sentiment stands. Is a 85 or lower IQ a statutory requirement for public school administration in these places? Certainly seems it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I could easily see a school having a policy that prohibits a student from driving a vehicle to school that is not "street legal".

Please..... The school has educators and administrators its not within there scope of duty's to make judgments on the safety of ones vehicle.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    OK. I'm confused.
    Our schools used to have a flag on a pole out in front. And there was a flag in every classroom, situated in between portraits of Washington & Lincoln.

In elementary school, the principal dropped the needle on a record player so we could hear Reveille as the flag went up the pole.
    And the high school principal used to get on the PA system every morning to lead us in saying "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America ..."

What's so offensive about displaying the US flag in the US?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    School says it's a safety issue.

Kid says someone was "offended" by the flag.

One of them is lying.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The school reversed the policy before the story even made the news.

“Due to the outstanding display of patriotism through peaceful demonstration, it is apparent to us that many are not happy about this policy,” the school district posted on its website. “School officials have reviewed the standing policy regarding flags and have decided that an exception will be made for the American flag, as long as the size of the flag(s) does not create a driving hazard.”

For those who prefer not to visit infowars:

York school changes American flag policy after demonstration

Carry on with your normally scheduled outrage.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the real point is that more and more it seems like school admins have had freaking lobotomies when they got the job. This is just another example. Pop-Tart guns, pictures, pointing fingers . . . etc.

Seems to me to be the same issue that routinely pops up with home owner's associations. Read the link I posted and all flags on vehicles were banned on the campus. This student defied the ban and figured he should get a pass because its the US flag. The administrators applied the ban as written, to apply to ANY flag attached to a vehicle as a distraction to new drivers in the parking lot. People got wrapped around the axle and the school changed the policy to provide an exception.

I don't have a problem with that, nor do I have a problem with enforcing the rule as it stood. Of course the next time someone flies a non-US flag, what's the response?

Top Bottom