• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    In my opinion, that is easy. I told my senior class that if they damage anything or do not clean up their mess, it is now vandalism and no longer a prank. No damage, no mess for others to clean, no problem.
    This is the kind of approach that I've advocated in a previous post.

If the prank was done with malicious intent that included any amount of damage then throw the book at them.

If not then have them clean everything up and at most it if there was any expense incurred because of the prank then the school should be compensated.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My uncle put pigs in the school court yard. I think someone ratted him out and the principle had called my grandparents before the next morning and my grandpa came and got them. My uncle had to do some after school work s punishment. The principle wrote my grandparents a letter. I don't remember the exact context of it but it was clear he thought it was funny while sounding official.

I think in most instances like this, the students will tell their story for years and half the fun of the story is telling what their creative punishment was. I think one of the things my uncle had to do,was scrape gum off of the gym bleachers.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    My uncle put pigs in the school court yard. I think someone ratted him out and the principle had called my grandparents before the next morning and my grandpa came and got them. My uncle had to do some after school work s punishment. The principle wrote my grandparents a letter. I don't remember the exact context of it but it was clear he thought it was funny while sounding official.

I think in most instances like this, the students will tell their story for years and half the fun of the story is telling what their creative punishment was. I think one of the things my uncle had to do,was scrape gum off of the gym bleachers.

When my son had his scalp cut open due to some irresponsibility by another student who threw a half full plastic Gatorade bottle at a football game, the high school Principal wanted to give the kid the remainder of the semester off and attempted to convince me to pursue a criminal complaint.

I objected to this overreaction immediately, as everyone knew that while the bottle was thrown on purpose, the injury wasn't intentional.

I accepted the kid's parents offer to pay the insurance copay for the E/R, apologize to my family, and thought it acceptable for the Principal to impose a 3 month ban for the kid to attend after school activities.

I also made it a point to personally speak to both the police and the juvenile probation department, to allay the possibility of over zealousness with filing charges.

When it all ended, a valuable lesson was learned by both our sons, and we met some wonderful people that we are friends with to this day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When my son had his scalp cut open due to some irresponsibility by another student who threw a half full plastic Gatorade bottle at a football game, the high school Principal wanted to give the kid the remainder of the semester off and attempted to convince me to pursue a criminal complaint.

I objected to this overreaction immediately, as everyone knew that while the bottle was thrown on purpose, the injury wasn't intentional.

I accepted the kid's parents offer to pay the insurance copay for the E/R, apologize to my family, and thought it acceptable for the Principal to impose a 3 month ban for the kid to attend after school activities.

I also made it a point to personally speak to both the police and the juvenile probation department, to allay the possibility of over zealousness with filing charges.

When it all ended, a valuable lesson was learned by both our sons, and we met some wonderful people that we are friends with to this day.

A happy ending. It is not always this way in the end. We have had some good and some bad experiences with parents and administrators as we went through the school, parenting process. All were valuable lessons.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

proof, common sense is alive and well, and can prevail... (that sounds like something I should chant at a protest or something...lol:):)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I just tried to rep you. Apparantly I have to spread it around.
    +1. You can teach a lesson without involving Big Brother.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Let's be honest, there's not a whole lot of that going on the last couple weeks of class, especially for seniors.

Fine, test them out two weeks early. Give the teachers two weeks more off (that we won't have to pay for.)

You will have to excuse me. I am far far form the "just let them have their fun" crowd. IMHO we do a very poor job of preparing our young adults for young adulthood.

Be it college (better stated remedial ed, then college) or career we do not strive for maturity nearly enough at school or at home.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Fine, test them out two weeks early. Give the teachers two weeks more off (that we won't have to pay for.)

You will have to excuse me. I am far far form the "just let them have their fun" crowd. IMHO we do a very poor job of preparing our young adults for young adulthood.

Be it college (better stated remedial ed, then college) or career we do not strive for maturity nearly enough at school or at home.
    Discipline!:rules:Discipline!:bat: Discipline!:bash:

Discipline!!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Discipline!:rules:Discipline!:bat: Discipline!:bash:

Discipline!!!

You can laugh all you want, but kids need it and adults appreciate having had it. Then again, some only reach adult status by virtue of age.

This is also why there are country's we just cannot compete with education-wise. Why we have to import in the best and brightest.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    You can laugh all you want, but kids need it and adults appreciate having had it. Then again, some only reach adult status by virtue of age.

This is also why there are country's we just cannot compete with education-wise. Why we have to import in the best and brightest.

Yes but if we cant have a little fun every now and then enjoy the milestones of life like graduating high school why live?

Jake

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Top Bottom