• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grendal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2014
    Richmond
    I believe I understand the 1000 ft. rule, but wouldn't mind some clarification from some of the community perhaps more in the know than I.

I believe that if I am a resident of Indiana, then the federal law that prevents me from being within 1000 ft. of a school zone does not apply, at least while I am in Indiana. I of course cannot take it onto school property, but no 1000 ft. rule applies. That being said, a non-resident of Indiana or myself in another state (Ohio if I have my Utah) would however not allow me within 1000 ft. of a school.

Am I understanding this rule correctly?

Thanks,

- Grendal

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The wording of the law is garbage, following the principle of overreach behind its inception.

One must be licensed to carry by the state in which the school is located to meet that particular exception.

It's nonsense and should be ignored. It was struck down by the courts the first time it was passed so they recrafted it as to be justified via interstate commerce clause.

Rubbish.

Grendal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2014
    Richmond
    So...

I get that I can disregard it in Indiana as I am in Indiana, licensed in Indiana, etc... But how does it apply if I travel to Ohio carrying under my Utah Permit, can I still disregard it, or is it in full effect?

thanks,

- Grendal

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    If you have a license to carry, for which a background check was completed (in the last 10 years, I believe the law states) issued by the state in which the school is in, you may carry a loaded firearm according to the laws of that state (into the school-UT, up to the property line-some other states, outside of a 1000' or whatever limit imposed by that state-a few states). If you are carrying on an out of state license (if needed & honored) then the federal 1000' law applies to you.
    That is what I've been told & my own research showed to be the case. The law may have changed for our benefit (hard to believe), but I have not heard that.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    The wording of the law is garbage, following the principle of overreach behind its inception.

One must be licensed to carry by the state in which the school is located to meet that particular exception.

It's nonsense and should be ignored. It was struck down by the courts the first time it was passed so they recrafted it as to be justified via interstate commerce clause.

Rubbish.

How about walking past a school while armed? I never really put much thought to this, to be honest. My initial thought was that entering a school while armed was illegal (but I heard something about you can carry on school grounds now if you're picking someone up/dropping them off/in a common area?).

I don't have kids, I don't teach. Only time I am near a school is if I happen to be going for a walk downtown and pass one, though generally I like the more scenic and quiter side streets for my downtown strolls so would be a block away most times anyway. :)

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So...

I get that I can disregard it in Indiana as I am in Indiana, licensed in Indiana, etc... But how does it apply if I travel to Ohio carrying under my Utah Permit, can I still disregard it, or is it in full effect?

Sounds like you are excepted from the law in Indiana and Utah, but not Ohio.

How about walking past a school while armed? ...

The federal law extends the zone to 1000' beyond the property. If you're armed within that zone, you need to meet one of the exceptions. Dumb law makes criminals of the unsuspecting even as they go about their business unrelated to any school.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The federal law extends the zone to 1000' beyond the property. If you're armed within that zone, you need to meet one of the exceptions. Dumb law makes criminals of the unsuspecting even as they go about their business unrelated to any school.

And to further the stupidity, since Indiana's license specifies "Handgun", [STRIKE]I am technically in violation every time I leave my house with a rifle or shotgun in my vehicle since I live within 1000ft of a school and don't own a locking rifle case[/STRIKE].:facepalm:

Er... I mean I never leave the house with a long gun. :whistle:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I owned a house with one property line against a utility easement that was between me and a grade school property. Since my house was within 50 ft of the school property, I was always nervous about the whole thing with guns. When I would carry my guns to the car, etc. It could have been a bad deal if an officer would want to make it bad. I lived there 3 years with no problems until I could afford a nicer home. It is an unfortunate law that probably does nothing for what it was meant to accomplish, but can cause a lot of problems where there are not any.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should be covered by the exemptions

I owned a house with one property line against a utility easement that was between me and a grade school property. Since my house was within 50 ft of the school property, I was always nervous about the whole thing with guns. When I would carry my guns to the car, etc. It could have been a bad deal if an officer would want to make it bad. I lived there 3 years with no problems until I could afford a nicer home. It is an unfortunate law that probably does nothing for what it was meant to accomplish, but can cause a lot of problems where there are not any.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    And to further the stupidity, since Indiana's license specifies "Handgun", [STRIKE]I am technically in violation every time I leave my house with a rifle or shotgun in my vehicle since I live within 1000ft of a school and don't own a locking rifle case[/STRIKE].:facepalm:

Er... I mean I never leave the house with a long gun. :whistle:

Same boat.. If I hadn't lost everything in when my canoe sank that is.. ;)

Otis812

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    IN-IL line
    I am technically in violation every time I leave my house with a rifle or shotgun in my vehicle since I live within 1000ft of a school and don't own a locking rifle case
    Our Rural King here is next to an elementary school. To buy a gun there you have to also buy a locking case (if you don't bring one.) The department manager will use the lock that comes with the gun to lock that case & walk you out to your vehicle. You then take the gun out & take the case back in & get a refund for it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Our Rural King here is next to an elementary school. To buy a gun there you have to also buy a locking case (if you don't bring one.) The department manager will use the lock that comes with the gun to lock that case & walk you out to your vehicle. You then take the gun out & take the case back in & get a refund for it.

That's silly since in you car is still in violation if not locked in a case and within 1000' of the school.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Private property is excepted from the silly law. Do they not have their own parking lot?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The entire concept of the law is well beyond stupid. So, it figures it would be perpetrated by some rabid, anti-gun, left-loon Liberal. :laugh:

Is ANY criminal going to adhere to that law in any possible manner, except by 'accident'? :nono:

If 'Mr. Scumbag' intends on shooting up a school, it won't matter if the law 'dictates' 50', or 1000' feet. If 'Mr. Scumbag' intends to perpetrate some heinous, murderous crime, he can sure do it just as easily from 334 yards (or 500 yds., and beyond).

The level of stupidity exhibited by some, supposedly 'smart' politicians and legislators is mind-numbing in its own right. :facepalm:

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The Rural King in Terre Haute makes up "laws" all the time. Don't listen to them. I know a guy with a FFL who asked his ATF agent about Rural King in Terre Haute and their school zone policies.
    To summarize, she said they were idiots.

Top Bottom