Schools of thought on reloading to meet IDPA power factors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I am starting down the path of all things IDPA and started learning about power factors.
    From the 2023 IDPA rules:
    8.3.4.7 Calculate the power factor by multiplying the bullet weight in grains by the bullet velocity in feet per second
    (fps), divide by 1000, and ignore numbers to the right of the decimal. For example, a 230.1 grain bullet at 794.7
    fps: 230.1 x 794.7 / 1000 = 182.86047, or 182 power factor.
    As a reloader I have 115, 124, and 147 gr projectiles in my inventory.
    Regardless of what I choose, I still have to meet the 125PF (I know...don't go low. I will be targeting 130 to 135).

So the real question is: Are there advantages to a 147 @ 130PF vs a 115 @ 130PF?
    (Also, if this is covered in another thread...I am happy to read that but I did not see one.)

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Advantage is relative. Less powder = less energy produced to create the pressure needed to push the bullet which ultimately means softer recoil. Some like more snap to get the gun on target.

I would try both and play with your recoil spring and grip to see how it feels for you.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    76Caprice hit the nail in the head. I see 147s being the most popular amongst USPSA shooters (essentially the same thing but we need 125PF)

I however run 125s because that’s what I/my gun prefers.

If I could humbly suggest checking out Rocky Mountain Reloading. They have extremely consistent plated bullets that are about the same price as coated. I’m not affiliated with them at all, just been shooting their projectiles for 8ish years now.

Last edited:

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    In sanctioned IDPA matches I have always run 124's or 147's with PF close to 130 using a fast burning pistol powder. The 147's do shoot soft for me and I tend to think they take care of business on the steel targets better than the 115's. That said I do well with the 124's also. I would try all 3 and see what you like shooting with some speed.

76caprice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2020
    Franktucky
    My load data is for level 2 matches in USPSA 124 grain fmj rn 3.9 grains of titegroup loaded to 1.140 oal in a Glock using stock recoil springs. Chrono at 132power factor. Enjoy finding what works the best! I always enjoy that part of shooting is making something new!!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thank you all for the information. I definitely appreciate you all sharing your experiences.

The good news is that I already reload 147s for my subs:
    I put a Berry's (plated) 147 RN on 4.2grains of CFE Pistol with a CCI#500 and I am getting ~906ft/sec.
    So that puts the PF at ~133, right?

Anything else I should be considering?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Competitors should be considering and asking questions about drilling and practice more than pondering how to get a reloading press to win matches.

Honest opinion of a guy that did it both ways.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Competitors should be considering and asking questions about drilling and practice more than pondering how to get a reloading press to win matches.

Honest opinion of a guy that did it both ways.
    I have to wonder if you read the OP? I haven't even started yet. Trying to win? Maybe someday, but probably not. lol
    I am just trying to load ammo that meets spec and doesn't get me tossed before the match starts.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have to wonder if you read the OP? I haven't even started yet. Trying to win? Maybe someday, but probably not. lol
    I am just trying to load ammo that meets spec and doesn't get me tossed before the match starts.
    I have yet to see a Chrono at a local match. Take what you have and jump in, you'll start learning what works for you and what don't.
    Most everybody involved is willing to help people out. The most important thing for beginners is to learn the commands and process.

Good luck and have fun

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Thank you all for the information. I definitely appreciate you all sharing your experiences.

The good news is that I already reload 147s for my subs:
    I put a Berry's (plated) 147 RN on 4.2grains of CFE Pistol with a CCI#500 and I am getting ~906ft/sec.
    So that puts the PF at ~133, right?

Anything else I should be considering?
    Sounds like you already have a good load and are happy with it. If you haven't tried this already, the 147 bullet over a faster burning pistol powder like Bullseye, AA#2, Titegroup, or N320 will require less grains to get you that PF and might give you softer recoil and blast. I've used all of the above powders with 147's and have been happy with all of them.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like you already have a good load and are happy with it. If you haven't tried this already, the 147 bullet over a faster burning pistol powder like Bullseye, AA#2, Titegroup, or N320 will require less grains to get you that PF and might give you softer recoil and blast. I've used all of the above powders with 147's and have been happy with all of them.
    Thank you...great info.

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I am starting down the path of all things IDPA and started learning about power factors.
    From the 2023 IDPA rules:

As a reloader I have 115, 124, and 147 gr projectiles in my inventory.
    Regardless of what I choose, I still have to meet the 125PF (I know...don't go low. I will be targeting 130 to 135).

So the real question is: Are there advantages to a 147 @ 130PF vs a 115 @ 130PF?
    (Also, if this is covered in another thread...I am happy to read that but I did not see one.)
    I imagine you are looking at SSP, ESP, or CO divisions since you specifically cited the 125pf. Just wanted to point out that if you are planning to shoot CCP, the pf floor is 105.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    At local matches they don’t chrono your loads
    At tier 2 matches, it’s recommended but not required
    At tier 3 and above chronograph your bullets are required
    I load 147 grain coated lead bullets, with alliant sport pistol (it’s designed for coated lead bullets) 3.2 grains makes power factor, i tell people that my bullets fall out of the barrel and hit the target, and that if I shot someone, it might go thru a t shirt, but probably wouldn’t go thru a winter coat.

I was helping a friend get better at idpa, he was shooting an almost identical pistol to mine, I handed him my gun and he fired a few rounds, he looked at me and asked “are you sure the bullets came out?”

I fired a few thru my steel challenge open pistol (cz czchmate) after I changed the recoil spring, I handed it to a kid (14) and he fired a few and said it recoils less than my 22!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    At local matches they don’t chrono your loads
    At tier 2 matches, it’s recommended but not required
    At tier 3 and above chronograph your bullets are required
    I load 147 grain coated lead bullets, with alliant sport pistol (it’s designed for coated lead bullets) 3.2 grains makes power factor, i tell people that my bullets fall out of the barrel and hit the target, and that if I shot someone, it might go thru a t shirt, but probably wouldn’t go thru a winter coat.

I was helping a friend get better at idpa, he was shooting an almost identical pistol to mine, I handed him my gun and he fired a few rounds, he looked at me and asked “are you sure the bullets came out?”

I fired a few thru my steel challenge open pistol (cz czchmate) after I changed the recoil spring, I handed it to a kid (14) and he fired a few and said it recoils less than my 22!
    Excellent. Thank you!

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Yep 3.2 grains of Alliant Sport Pistol chrono's around 900 fps with 147 grn coated projectiles out of a 5" barrel, so ~130's+ PF. Quick re-acquisition, no issues dropping steel, used it last 2 years, like it.

Top Bottom