• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    i would liked to get some good pistol training. i want the whole defencive package. real trainers in a real school. no country boy can survive crap or bubba and his back yard.its been a long time since ive had any pro training and i never realy kept up on what i did get. know that im a little older and wished i would have payed more attention and and stayed up to speed i think its time to get refreshed. so that being said im looking for names and locations of some good schools. thanks :ingo:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We are blessed with many instructors now in the gun culture, but if you are looking for the "complete package" then there are two that you should run, not walk, to. They are Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch and Louis Awerbuck of YFA.

Clint is mostly in Oregon when there is not four feet of snow on the ground, but travels to Texas and Alabama (have to watch the schedule) in the winter.

Louis travels . . . a lot. He does come to Boone County Sheriff Department where he was taught for the last 15 years, pistol, carbine, shotgun.

Both men are unique in that they have their own styles, as any two humans would. I have heard some call Clint "arrogant" (he is assuredly not, people confuse his speech pattern and Marine-honed directness with arrogance) and Louis "reserved" or "distant" (he is South African, and as a rule they are usually more taciturn which makes the usually friendly American think they are standoffish). However, they both WANT you to learn and are teachers, not instructors.

Get signed up today.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Don't forget Tactical Response, Magpul Dynamics, and Suarez International.

And local groups like ACT, MDFI, and PD Training.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am a biased kool aid drinker, but I'd suggest Tactical Response. Yes, they will teach you how to shoot your pistol. They will dial you in on that. But waaaay more importantly, they will teach you how to FIGHT with a handgun and win.

From talking with hundreds of students, who have attended the BIG SCHOOLS, and then come to Tactical Response, I have gathered that the other schools while technically good, don't teach gunfighting. They teach gun handling, manual of arms, marksmanship? But not always fighting. I have heard more than I can remember, that the mindset and legal lecture in Fighting Pistol is worth the course price alone.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You have some good suggestions here. Of course I am partial to Suarez International. As our name would imply, we are an international company that has done training all over the world. I however am committed to bringing quality training in weapons, tactics, and combatives right here to Indiana. We have a fairly extensive schedule of training in Indiana, from Rochester, to Fort Wayne and Petersburg in the south end of the state. For handgun, you can get anything from Defensive Pistol Skills, to Point Shooting Progressions, to Close Range Gunfighting. Rifles aren't ignored with Fighting Rifle Skills and AK Gunfighting currently on the schedule. We also have Force on Force training. If you don't see something you like on the Indiana schedule you can find more classes in the bordering states including Ohio, Michigan, and Kentucky. Please see the link at the bottom of this post for a complete schedule and details, or contact me via pm here or at mandotac@gmail.com.

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    Don't forget Mindset Lab in Indy. There is no live fire, but plenty of Force on Force. Far more important to me that shooting cardboard. Being shot at really enforces the gun fighting part.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Tactical Firearms Training offers both NRA Personal Protection in the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home. Check out www.tactical-firearms.com for our full class schedule. Importantly, we'll also teach you when it's legal to use your firearm in self defense - under Indiana law.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We are blessed with many instructors now in the gun culture, but if you are looking for the "complete package" then there are two that you should run, not walk, to. They are Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch and Louis Awerbuck of YFA.

I would add John Farnam (DTI) to that short list.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    DTI - check out John Farnam. He has trained a ton of real-world operators in Law Enforcement, Private Corps. and Military (ours and foreign) over the last 25 years. He is constantly getting feedback from operators and helping to evolve our art.

John frequently has classes in the midwest, is a Vietnam veteran and LEO. He has seen the elelphant.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    DTI - check out John Farnam. He has trained a ton of real-world operators in Law Enforcement, Private Corps. and Military (ours and foreign) over the last 25 years. He is constantly getting feedback from operators and helping to evolve our art.

John frequently has classes in the midwest, is a Vietnam veteran and LEO. He has seen the elelphant.

He's in Rochester, IN at Sand Burr every spring too. I'll be there in May!

Top Bottom