• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have a Ruger American Rifle Ranch 5.56 (compact model w/ 12.5" LoP) on order and am trying to sort out what I will want for the glass.

6967.jpg

I suspect a fair amount of the shooting will be <= 100yds, but I will occasionally want to reach out to 3-400yds on 4-6" targets. Most of my shooting will be during regular hunting hours and any night varmint/predator hunting that I might do is <100yds & at the bottom half of the magnification range. I would definitely like to get AO or SF on this scope, but it is not a "requirement." Similarly, re-settable turrets are almost a "must-have", but I might overlook them if the rest of the scope was strong enough.

Unfortunately, my budget will likely top out <$500, so the FFP PSTs, Razors, SIIIs, NXSs, & VX-6s are out. OTOH, I could see myself holding off year or so to get the budget for a Z3, FFP PST, etc. if I thought they were the "perfect" long-term solution. I am just not convinced as yet.

I don't have any strong brand loyalty, but I tend to think Vortex, Sightron, & Weaver offer great glass for the money, but I have gotten the strong impression that Vortex leads Weaver in the CS department by a large margin & have heard little on Sightron's CS. I am open to a Leupold, but I haven't been happy with anything outside of the VX-3 line. I am not a big Bushnell fan & cannot stand the Nikon BDC reticle, so those two lines are out.

Considering my budget, a few scopes that stood out are:

Vortex Viper 3-9x40: $300
    Vortex Viper 4-12x40 (SF): $400
    Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 (SF): $300

In a push, I thought about including:

Swarovski Z3 3-9x36: $775
    Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP: $800 (demo: $669)

I really hope this can become my "go-to" rifle, so I want to get the "correct" tool for the job. What options am I missing? What do folks on here suggest/prefer for similar use rifles?

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Nevermind

I was going to say look at the Viper HS 2.5-10, but I think the crosshairs on it would be a touch thin for you.

I had thought about that, but I wasn't certain if the upgraded glass(?) & lower magnification would offset the loss of AO from the Viper 4-12x40.

You're right on about my eyes though, but I chalk part of it up to being being cross-eye dominant. If the crosshairs or aiming point don't jump out at me, my focus tends to shift to the other eye & I have a hard time re-acquiring thinner crosshairs.

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Does anybody have any other options I should be considering by aren't on my shortlist? (Ziess Terra, Minox, or Meopta?) Is there an illuminated option in my price range, or do I really need to hold off until I can make more funds available?

Are the 4-16HS-T or 2.5-10x PST better options? (slightly above my cutoff, but potentially viable if I hold out for a sale or a demo)

By the same token, are the Leupold VX-Rs worth a look? I know I can get a 3-9x40 w/ elevation CDS for <$500, but I haven't seen much in the way of comparisons. I understand (via a Leupold rep @ Cabela's) that it is essentially VX-2 glass, but that it should perform better in the 30mm tubes.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Does anybody have any other options I should be considering by aren't on my shortlist? (Ziess Terra, Minox, or Meopta?) Is there an illuminated option in my price range, or do I really need to hold off until I can make more funds available?

Are the 4-16HS-T or 2.5-10x PST better options? (slightly above my cutoff, but potentially viable if I hold out for a sale or a demo)

By the same token, are the Leupold VX-Rs worth a look? I know I can get a 3-9x40 w/ elevation CDS for <$500, but I haven't seen much in the way of comparisons. I understand (via a Leupold rep @ Cabela's) that it is essentially VX-2 glass, but that it should perform better in the 30mm tubes.

Id go with a 2.5-10 variant if possible. No need for more, at 400 yds, but at less than 100 you could need less. The HST, and PST are very similar scopes. Both have the same glass, and turrets. The major diffrence is on the HST line they use wire reticle's, and on the PST they use etched.

Mabye this is a scope/ rifle combination we have discussed in the last few days, but the Diamondback HP 3-12 would at least be worth a look. Its got more than enough top end zoom, 4x errector, and a 3x bottom side zoom. I wish it was a 30mm tube, but its not.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Id go with a 2.5-10 variant if possible. No need for more, at 400 yds, but at less than 100 you could need less. The HST, and PST are very similar scopes. Both have the same glass, and turrets. The major diffrence is on the HST line they use wire reticle's, and on the PST they use etched.

Mabye this is a scope/ rifle combination we have discussed in the last few days, but the Diamondback HP 3-12 would at least be worth a look. Its got more than enough top end zoom, 4x errector, and a 3x bottom side zoom. I wish it was a 30mm tube, but its not.

I have that 3-12x BDC I got from you last year on a MLR22AT (10/22 offspring) and I think it really works out well there. This is a different rifle than the one I was thinking about putting the 2-8x Duplex on, which is just an AR I put together. It currently wears a 2-8x BDC, but I am hoping to eventually move it to more of a backup hunting role behind the new RAR.

I am thinking I might want to step up the glass for the new rifle, though. I had even been thinking about trying one of the 2.5-10x32 PST's (wishing I would have gotten it instead of the HSLR last year) in the hopes that the illumination would solve my issue with losing the crosshairs in low-light (they get very fine @ 2.5x, IMO.)

If I sell things/work extra/wait longer & bump my ceiling to $1200, what options might I gain? Inside 150yds typical and 400yds max, will I notice a huge difference in the scope?

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    It'd be well below your price range, but I like the Weaver Kaspa 1.5-6x. Might be a little light on magnification for you at 400 yds, but it's an illuminated "Ballistic-X" reticle. I believe it is calibrated for 55 (maybe 62?)gr .223 loads. They can be had for about $190. About 400 rounds so far with no issues. The flip-up lens covers seem cheap, but they have been ok so far. Might be worth looking at as a lower budget option. Seems to be a good value.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-weaver-kaspa-1-5-6x26-ill-ballistic-x-weapon-scopes.html

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have that 3-12x BDC I got from you last year on a MLR22AT (10/22 offspring) and I think it really works out well there. This is a different rifle than the one I was thinking about putting the 2-8x Duplex on, which is just an AR I put together. It currently wears a 2-8x BDC, but I am hoping to eventually move it to more of a backup hunting role behind the new RAR.

I am thinking I might want to step up the glass for the new rifle, though. I had even been thinking about trying one of the 2.5-10x32 PST's (wishing I would have gotten it instead of the HSLR last year) in the hopes that the illumination would solve my issue with losing the crosshairs in low-light (they get very fine @ 2.5x, IMO.)

If I sell things/work extra/wait longer & bump my ceiling to $1200, what options might I gain? Inside 150yds typical and 400yds max, will I notice a huge difference in the scope?

IF you bump the budget to 1200, You could look at a used NF 2.5-10 or something like that. Its SFP, so their is no way you are losing the reticle on 2.5x. Do you gain enough to look at the price increase? Not in my mind.

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    I've had a decent experience with my Hawke Sidewinder Tac 30. Illuminated reticle, half mil dot, 6-18x, etc.

Only downside so far is the weight. Heavy.

Full Recovery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Central
    For your intended use I would go with a midrange 2-7x scope with a heavy duplex. Maybe a Zeiss Terra 2-7x32, or Leupold ultralight in 2-7x33. 2-7x might not be enough for you at 400 yards though. 99% of the hunting I do is within 100 yards. Remember that you have a handy, lightweight rifle that cost 399? (not sure on the american prices) Don't overwhelm it with a large heavy scope.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For your intended use I would go with a midrange 2-7x scope with a heavy duplex. Maybe a Zeiss Terra 2-7x32, or Leupold ultralight in 2-7x33. 2-7x might not be enough for you at 400 yards though. 99% of the hunting I do is within 100 yards. Remember that you have a handy, lightweight rifle that cost 399? (not sure on the american prices) Don't overwhelm it with a large heavy scope.

Keeping the weight & size down is definitely part of the consideration.

I haven't heard great things about the Terra line, but I have been thinking about stepping up to the 2-10x Conquest HD5 ($800) or the illuminated 2-8x Conquest DL ($1300) in addition to giving serious consideration to the FFP Vortex scopes. Right now, I have been leaning towards the 2.5-10x32 PST &, after looking through one, I think it might work with the illumination. OTOH, I can't get my hands on a Conquest HD5 DL to get a feel to see if the glass is enough of an improvement to offset the loss of illumination & size increase (HD5) or cost difference (DL).

I have also been giving some consideration to a 2.5-8x36 VX-3, but I know I would end up ordering from the custom shop to get the M1 elevation and CDS (or M1) windage turrets and switch to a heaver reticle (post & duplex, heavy duplex, or #4.) I really don't know that the glass justifies the $650, especially when compared to my other options.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom