• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am planning on doing some hunting but mostly going to be punching paper out to 300 meters, possibly longer in the future.

Looking at the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 & 4-12 along with the Diamondback, BDC in either one I choose.

Are there real advantages to the AO for what I am doing & does one have an advantage over the other?

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am planning on doing some hunting but mostly going to be punching paper out to 300 meters, possibly longer in the future.

Looking at the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 & 4-12 along with the Diamondback, BDC in either one I choose.

Are there real advantages to the AO for what I am doing & does one have an advantage over the other?

The main real advantage to the AO systems is for exactly what your doing. The 3-9 for instance has a parallax setting of 100 yds, so the further you get from the 100yd line the more variance you will have.

In the Crossfire line your talking about 20 bucks to add an AO. I see no possible way its not worth 20 extra bucks in your scenario. In the DBK line your looking at 100ish extra bucks for the AO. At that point I would start to question it depending on how much past 300 you intend to go.

Long story short, buy the cheaper 4-12x40 AO/BDC Crossfire 2 and rock on.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yes sir, it transmits more light. Rule of thumb is 6mm OBJ=1x of zoom, so in theory you will be able to see the image in a dusk/dawn situation just as clearly with the 50mm version on roughly 5.5x, as you could the 40mm version on 4x.

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    50mm and 40mm scopes are nice. I have an old weaver 60mm and its not much better than a 40mm. I would settle more with quality of the scope more than the size of the objective lense. Having an ao vs not having it depends varies by each scope. I have many ao scopes, and just as many without. I had a burris timberline with ao i bought online and did not like it. The funny thing was i checked out a timberline without the ao for the same price and really liked it. I figured i might as well buy the one online if its the same price, and that was a mistake. I sold the ao model then ended up buying the same scope i checked out in person.

Top Bottom