• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I recently put a scope on my 700. When i went to get a zero on it for the first time, my shots were falling 16" short at a 100m target. My scope is a cheapy BSA mildot scope. My question is, is that a normal distance to be off when you first get a scope? Each click on my scope adjust to 1/8" goes just up to 8 for each full crank. I had to crank it up two full rotations and im still a little low. Any advice?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    My guess is that the screws aren't tightened correctly/evenly. When you put the screws on a the scope rings there is an order you tighten them, kinda like lug nuts. This isn't an unusual problem. Aside of that....Get Higher rings? Get a better scope, get a better rail.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Wouldn't higher rings make it shoot lower? Just thinking, but higher rings puts the barrel line further below the line of sight.

I recently put scopes on a couple rifles. One was shooting 18" left, and I had to use 72 clicks to get it close to the center. Once on, didn't have further problems (except me). Then I had another scope that was almost dead on first shot out with no bore sighting. :dunno:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Can't really tell you without more information like what kinds of rings and bases you are using, whether the scope came with the erector at the center or not, and so on. 16moa low if the erector was centered to begin with will limit the distance you can shoot, but then a BSA scope isn't exactly the choice for long distances to begin with. If you have it zeroed to your satisfaction then don't worry overmuch about it.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I recently put a scope on my 700. When i went to get a zero on it for the first time, my shots were falling 16" short at a 100m target. My scope is a cheapy BSA mildot scope. My question is, is that a normal distance to be off when you first get a scope? Each click on my scope adjust to 1/8" goes just up to 8 for each full crank. I had to crank it up two full rotations and im still a little low. Any advice?

Rotate the elevation knob all the way up and then count the number of revolutions to the full down position. Come back up exactly half way. Don't force the knobs. You now have your scope centered. Pull the bolt out of the 700 and place the rifle on a lead sled or sand bags. Sight through the barrel at a 12" circle at 100 yards. Position the rifle securely so the bore is lined up on the target, then look through the scope to see where the crosshairs are in relation to the target.

If it takes more than one full revolution of the elevation knob to get the crosshairs aligned with the bore, I would say you have problems with the mounts or scope.

It would help to know what mounts and rings you are using. Also, did you get mounts with built in MOA?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    weeeeelllll

first thing is that there is no "normal" distance to be off when you install a scope. One and one third feet is, by no means, unusual. If you are sure things are tight then use the boresighting trick described above. Remember, if you try and adjust the crosshairs while the rifle is in the vise/held on bags, they will move opposite to the directions on your turret.

What I can't figure out is why after buying a pretty good rifle, you bought such a cheap scope? Some will work long after we do but you'll probably not know it quit until you miss a chip shot on the buck of a lifetime.

My motto on glass is buy once and cry once.:yesway:

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I bought one of those laser bore sights and slapped the scope on it. I know that's probably not the correct way to do it, but it works for me. Didn't think there was a normal distance to be off. I just figured it is what it is and I'd adjust accordingly.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is just me, but this is what I look for. I want a 25 yard/200 yard zero to be pretty close to mechanical zero on the scope. This gives me plenty of elevation adjustment to make a 300 to 500 yard shot.

I would not be happy if I had to move 16 minutes from mechanical zero to get it in the center at 100 meters/yards

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    @patience0830 Thanks man. Usual for me means...when if first zeroed my M16 in the military, i had to just make 4 clicks up and 4 left. That made a pretty big adjustment. And yes i know, i know putting a BSA on this rifle is like putting 13" wheels on my Dodge 1500. If i decide to keep the rifle i'll get a nice Vortex for it.

Top Bottom