• ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Wow even the bolt handle isn't right?
    I knew the scope was repro, but the relief in the stock for the scope mount looked older.

Oh well. It shoots nice. And like you said, the price wasn't bad.

Could you post a picture of your sniper with the correct markings?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Wow even the bolt handle isn't right?
    I knew the scope was repro, but the relief in the stock for the scope mount looked older.

Oh well. It shoots nice. And like you said, the price wasn't bad.

Could you post a picture of your sniper with the correct markings?

Here are 2 of my PU's, a 44 Izhevsk and a 44 Tula. Both are from R-guns and where rearsenaled after WW2. Since what you have is a Izhevsk you should look at the 1st 12 pics which deal with an Izhevsk model PU. Notice in the 3rd pic the scope SN stamped on the barrel, the scope on this one was swaped out during refurb due to some defect in it. Pic 4 shows the "round top" screws that where used on the turrets ( repro's are now copying this feature :rolleyes: ) The 8th pic shows the bolt and it is different that the one in your rifle.

As to the scope mount base, original WW2 bases are quite rare since the soviets seemed to dispose of them when they decommisioned the snipers and returned them to infantry configuration,one can only assume they didn;t see a future need to use them for refurb or repair, unlike the scopes and scope mounts,and as such fetch between $200.00 and $300.00 for an original one. There is 1 presently forsale on Gunbroker if you like to see an original one.

Here are some pics of both of them as well as some of my 44 Tula PU.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Thanks for posting the pics.
    At the end of the day, I got a shooter for a fair price.

We started with Mosins around three years ago. There was a vender at the gunshow and I didn't know alot about the rifles just that they were cheap. And we had looked at them at shows from time to time. Crude, cheap. We bought 5 of them. 3-M44 1 M38 1 91/30. Average price was $80. Didn't realize the 38's were going to dry up so quick! Sometimes you fall into it.

Probably should put myself on an automatic ammo purchase program, how long before the surplus ammo dries up?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    I'm looking into finally getting a Mosin - one of the cheaper ones (under $100). What things should I be looking for when I pick one up and look at it?

Top Bottom