• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The scotch that scares some is the 10 yr Laphroaig but if you don't like that, you must try the 10 yr cask strength.

Bumping this back up because I tried some Laphroaig 10 year at McNivens yesterday. It was the best thing I've ever drank, ever. It was like a smokey camp fire. Now I have to go buy a bottle. :drool:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Highland Park doesn't have the smokey taste. MaCallan isn't so bad either. I've never tried Glenmorangie, so I can't say for sure.

I just had a new Islay a few weeks ago at my BIL's house, but I can't remember the name. gonna have to do some googling.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    What is a good scotch whiskey without the strong smoky peat taste? Glenmorangie 10 yr?

Most of the stuff from the Speyside region isn't very smoky, e.g. Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, The Macallan, et al.

They're what I like to call "Gateway Scotches"

Glenmorangie is a Highland, so it has a bit more smoke and peat flavor than the above, but it's pretty mild. Not like Islay region stuff like Lagavulin.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    My favorite ever since visiting their distillery on our honeymoon is Edradour!

We were there as well (stranded by an icelandic volcano, so we made the best of it!). LOVED the little old lady who gave the tours!

Spent a good bit of time working near the Bushmills distillery in "Nor'n I'ron" but never could stomach it. Laphroaig is my go-to but occaisionally a Macallan ("Nae Macallan, Nae Fish!") parts my lips.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I definitely like Famous Grouse amongst all the half gallon every day type whisky. When Johnny Black is on sale, it is okay.

I too like the Oban (partly because it is Clan MacDougal's homeplace of which my family would qualify as a Sept.) I liked the Balvenie, Laphroaig, Aberlour, Dalmour. MacAllan was the first single malt I ever had so I will always have a soft spot for it. I really have liked all and enjoy the differences in them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I been drinking Jameson for a while now, decided to try some scotch whisky stuff. So far i've only picked up one bottle and it was Ardbeg. I found it to be average, loved the smokey aftertaste though i may have to look into that Oban

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The newest distillery on Islay in 124 years is Kilchomen. Peaty and very very good. Right now they only have 5 and 7 year old scotches but boy are they good.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    These maps can help you guide your way...

A-Guide-to-Flavours.png

distilleries_full_map.jpg

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    That's actually a really useful flavor map. Rep sent!

It shows what I like about Oban 14 - about as balanced a whisky as you can find.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I keep Oban and Bruichladdich around for when I fell like breaking away from the bourbons, ryes and Irishes; and a bottle of Laphroaig for my grandmother when she comes to visit.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Thanks to this thread i've found i love the Oban 14 .... Im currently looking for something with a little more "smoky" flavor too it. Maybe something in between the Oban and the Talisker, any reccomendations?

My goto drams are Talisker 10 yr old and Ardbeg Uigeadail, but you might want to try Compass Box Peat Monster if you're looking for something a little less assertive than the Talisker.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    For peat I go to Lagavulin.

If stranded on a deserted island with a single flask, I would hope the flask is filled with Dalmore.

Top Bottom