SCOTUS ruling on "reasonable" mistake of law stop.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since Indiana already has an operative State Court of Appeals decision in Gunn v State, how does this SCOTUS decision affect us? Does it actually overrule Gunn? Or does Gunn still provide an increased level of protection of Hoosiers from capricious LEO actions that North Carolinians, and most of the rest of the United States no longer enjoy? Do we need new law added to the Reasonable Force statute vis-a-vis public servants placing the onus on the PS to maintain themselves within the bounds of the law? Seems rather tautologic to me.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Since Indiana already has an operative State Court of Appeals decision in Gunn v State, how does this SCOTUS decision affect us? Does it actually overrule Gunn? Or does Gunn still provide an increased level of protection of Hoosiers from capricious LEO actions that North Carolinians, and most of the rest of the United States no longer enjoy? Do we need new law added to the Reasonable Force statute vis-a-vis public servants placing the onus on the PS to maintain themselves within the bounds of the law? Seems rather tautologic to me.

Sadly...I don't know. I know the state supreme courts can rule more narrowly than the USSC and not more broadly. Not sure what is more narrow than this ruling. I have to abide by it and I have no idea how...other than be sure my stops are legal to the best of my ability.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Drug War leads to yet another blow to the Bill of Rights. A free society cannot coexist with this legion of government agents, obsessing daily over searching citizens for contraband.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    So lemme get this straight...

I get stopped. Officer says his reason for stopping me is that I have red tail lights. Proceeds to ransack me, my car, shoots my dog.. basically a roadside raping. Turns out red tail lights he thought were illegal, really arent. He sends me on my way without so much as an apology.

Totally ok now?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Yeah, right. Rank hypocrisy is the legal standard.

If people are expected to obey a bazillion laws then the government should be held to standard of knowing them.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So lemme get this straight...

I get stopped. Officer says his reason for stopping me is that I have red tail lights. Proceeds to ransack me, my car, shoots my dog.. basically a roadside raping. Turns out red tail lights he thought were illegal, really arent. He sends me on my way without so much as an apology.

Totally ok now?

No. Searches that spawn from illegitimate traffic stops are now OK in court.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't agree with this. For the search to be legal, the stop should have to be legal. There are all kinds of traffic laws most motorists don't know about, but they can still be stopped and ticketed for violating them. What's good for the goose and all...

JeffINGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2014
    Home
    Just another ruling by the worthless supreme court jesters... These idiots wouldnt know the fourth Amendment if it were tattooed on their freaking faces... Just another loss for the Constitutional Republic that is rapidly deteriorating.

Top Bottom