• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I was wondering if anybody out there ran a scout rifle or a psuedo scout rifle. If so Id like to see descriptions of your setup or pics if thats possible. I have always loved the scout rifle concept and am gonna be working on one, if not more than one in the near future, probably from milsurps or other cheaper rifles that I wont mind cutting up. I would like to get some ideas from some people here who have one or have used one. Im looking for specs on finished builds, optics and everything, if possible.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I purchased a Ruger Scout rifle earlier this year and really like it. I mounted a Leupold FXII scout scope in QRW rings, and slung a Galco Safari Ching Sling on it. I took it out on several deer hunts this summer, and found it to be much handier than my heavier Remington 700 bench / prone setup.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I use a lever scout. Not exactly what Cooper had in mind but what works for me. Started by seeing a Wild West guns co-pilot and hearing of the new pistol carbine rifles for deer hunting. Being a hunter with a budget that eliminated the co-pilot. I ended up getting a Marlin limited 1894 44 mag with the short 16 inch barrel in stainless with laminate stocks and when with XS lever scout mount and skinner lo pro ghost ring peep. Leopold scout scope.

It is very accurate and the scout scope allows me to get on moving targets fast. It is not a true scout or a co-pilot but a combo of the two.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I simulate one with an Ishapore .308 jungle carbine. It's a little heavy and I'm still skeptical of the way I had to finagle the scope on, but it was cheap and very solid in a military way. It's a smelly, but the magazine is quick to remove and I have some extras. Don't have a picture of mine, but it looks pretty much like this:
    1594805_02_enfield_jungle_carbine_7_62_30_640_zps1a4c6b3d.jpg

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have eyed these since they came out. The main question is, what does the weight run?

7lbs, not bad. I keep mine without a scope, and with all the buttstock spacers removed to keep it as short as possible. Very rugged, quick, and maneuverable. I love mine.

And it looks really sexy too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    7lbs, not bad. I keep mine without a scope, and with all the buttstock spacers removed to keep it as short as possible. Very rugged, quick, and maneuverable. I love mine.

And it looks really sexy too.

I run my stock just long enough so that I can run the bolt w/o loosing cheek weld. The ghost ring peep is great on this gun. I put a Leatherwood LER 2-7 on LaRue QD rings so that I can leave it off unless needed. Spikes Dynacomp replaced the factory bird cage.

CameraZOOM-20130315195745379_zps5548f2ec.jpg

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Steyr makes a 308 scout rifle that is excellent and probably a lot lighter than some of the wooden stock guns. 6-7 lbs w/o glass.
    19" fluted barrel and 5 round mag. I think they have a place in the stock to keep an extra mag if I'm not mistaken.
    A Steyr Scout in 308 with a 16x Leo would be tough to beat.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am pretty old school. Not much to look at but how about a 30-30 Winchester with a Williams rear peep sight. That was the original scout rifle when a scout still rode a horse and slept next to a fire on the ground.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Ive been eyeing the ruger also. I dont understand why ruger would put a heavy laminated stock on a scout rifle? I thought part of the purpose was for it to be lightweight. Nice buck.. Also had the thought of putting the xs rail/sight on the 336 with a ramline youth stock.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Here is mine It is based on a FR-8 Spanish Mauser in 7.62X51. It is actually heavier than a Ruger scout by a little bit. The Ruger scout is a lot lighter than it looks.

2jfje4z.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Czech pseudo-Scout (way too pudgy to be a Scout):

Trigger job, slicked action, XS ghostring iron sights, Scout Scope in Warne QD mount, shorted stock with Pachy Decel recoil pad, crowned barrel, with British Three Point sling (Jeff Cooper called it the CW sling).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I dont understand why ruger would put a heavy laminated stock on a scout rifle?

I asked Mike about this during the NRA Meeting in Pittsburgh (I had a lengthy conversation with Ruger's CEO Mike Fifer at the Ruger booth, pure chance--should have seen all the Ruger execs standing around watching, very funny). Mr. Fifer impressed me by answering my . . . several . . . ok, many questions about the Ruger Scout Rifle. Very enlightening.

He said that it is what the market demanded. Americans like their rifles too fat and too long (barrels and the goofy LOPs that they have for them, like Yeah on INGO says, lots of stupid rifles on the market), so give the people what they want.

Cooper's definitions were seen as guides, not hard and fast rules.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Some decent ideas here. I have been on a serious scout kick lately and have been looking at all kinds of things online to help with the possible build. Im looking at modern, Mauser, and even Mosin possibilities (Ive got a type 53 with the most pristine bore Ive ever seen on any Mosin that would fit the bill nicely as a point to start). Keep in mind, a build would entail some actual custom work, not just a couple of slap on parts. I honestly am torn as to whether or not I want the forward mounted scope as I am quite proficient with irons to begin with and prefer them for practical ranges (250 on in). I was thinking of a QD fixed power scope in the proper location for longer shots may be more the ticket. Either way, weight is a huge concern on this one. I have been looking at weight savers for any weapons that are potentially going to be used for combat or "bugging out". Ive even looked into lightening up the blue whale FAL (if I could get it light enough, I wouldnt need a scout). Is the Ruger just a normal model 77 with different trim? If so, how about just getting a synthetic that fits it? That seems like it would be a game changer. That would have all the necessary requirements except for barrel length (plus, Id change the F/H to a Vortex or Blackout). Idk. There are almost too many options out there and none of them are the easiest or most economical.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I am pretty old school. Not much to look at but how about a 30-30 Winchester with a Williams rear peep sight. That was the original scout rifle when a scout still rode a horse and slept next to a fire on the ground.

Actually, I had an SMLE with a Williams rear. That rifle was one of my favorites. It was in my collection for the longest time as a barreled action that I got for next to nothing at a gun show. Someone already went through the trouble of giving it a nice finish and installing the receiver sight (its an MKIII). My then GF said she liked it and wanted me to finish it for her. I got some Boyds furniture and finished it only to realize after shooting it that I wanted one just like that for myself. It doesnt even recoil hard having a ton of weight stripped away.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I purchased a Ruger Scout rifle earlier this year and really like it. I mounted a Leupold FXII scout scope in QRW rings, and slung a Galco Safari Ching Sling on it. I took it out on several deer hunts this summer, and found it to be much handier than my heavier Remington 700 bench / prone setup.

Nice looking setup, but summer deer hunts with a .308? You must not be from around here!:):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nice looking setup, but summer deer hunts with a .308? You must not be from around here!:):

Maybe this is the situation? :dunno:

DNR: Managing Deer Damage
    Out of season control permits
    In some localized areas of high deer populations, excessive deer-related damage may occur. If you are experiencing major damage, you may request out of season control permits from the DNR.
    To qualify for the permits, you must have a minimum loss of $500 in deer damage that has occurred or is considered inevitable during the calendar year. Permits are issued only on the recommendation of a district wildlife biologist and/or conservation officer.
    If you are experiencing extensive deer damage, contact your local district wildlife biologist. The biologist can help to develop a deer reduction plan and may be able to provide deer control permits for your property.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Very interesting. Funny I just saw that rifle on Ruger's sight today and thought it was really cool looking. Ok, I'm a little ignorant here, but could someone explain the purpose/benefit of having the scpoe so far forward. You can make fun of me for my ignorance if you like, but please educate me.

Top Bottom