• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. Currently, I purchased a full rail and mounted a Leupold Freedom series 3-9 x 40 scope on it in a traditional scope mount. I don't have any experience with a scout style scope and wanted to see what kind of feedback people had with a similar setup. It shoots well as is but just curious about the scout style setup. From what I have seen, it appears that one of the benefits is being able to shoot with both eyes open. Is this an accurate statement? Would quicker follow up shots staying on target be accurate too? I am going on a hog hunt next fall and was just curious and wanted to ping here and see what experiences others have had with a scout scope. Thanks in advance!

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I like mine. Both eyes open is easy enough, but it's not red dot fast. It really increases your ability to se the whole scene, rather than just the target zone. Nice for awareness, but can also be a little distracting.

Biggest limiting factor is field of view. I've never had the glare problem espoused by many. It doesn't fog up when you bring it to your face in cold, moist weather like a close focal scope does.

It is also really nice for weird shooting positions and bulky clothes. No scrunching and bunching to get the right eye relief, and zero concern about scope bite. The deer below was shot literally over my left shoulder while wearing a LOT of warm clothing. Stock wasn't even in my shoulder.

20191116_172453.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I went a slightly different route. Purchased this gun used with no rear sight. The rail I purchased the ghost ring is built into the rail. In the picture you can see it under the back of the scope. Then I mounted a 1-6x LPVO. If the scope failed I could remove it and still have the iron backup sights.

IMG_1639.jpeg

I have never used a scout style scope.

Last edited:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have a scout scope on my SBL in 45-70. I worked fine. It took a little getting used to. I recently replaced it with a Leupold extended eye relief scope. Not a full scout style, but easy to mount much farther forward than traditional scope. I like it very much.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I had a scout scope on my SBL in 45-70. I worked fine. It took a little getting used to. I recently replaced it with a Leupold extended eye relief scope. Not a full scout style, but easy to mount much farther forward than traditional scope. I like it very much.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I went a slightly different route. Purchased this gun used with no rear sight. The rail I purchased the ghost ring is built into the rail. In the picture you can see it under the back of the scope. Then I mounted a 1-6x LPVO. If the scope failed I could remove it and still have the iron backup sights.

View attachment 295738

I have never used a scout style scope.

I'm thinking of trying this route, or something like it. LVPO set at 1 power is simple enough to shoot with both eyes open, similar to shooting a red dot. The modern reticles with illumination add a lot of options also, including holdover hashes. Light that donut reticle up and I'd bet you could beat standard crosshairs in a scout scope? Especially with middle-aged and older eyes?

I'd bet Col Cooper would have gone this direction, had he had this modern glass to mount?

:twocents:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have the same setup as Tryin, Ruger Scout 308 with Leupold 2X Scout scope. Works very well for me, especially deer hunting.

Also have the same scope setup on a SBL JM Marlin 4570. They both are in focus for me when the rifle is shouldered.

Very satisfied with them.

Don

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm thinking of trying this route, or something like it. LVPO set at 1 power is simple enough to shoot with both eyes open, similar to shooting a red dot. The modern reticles with illumination add a lot of options also, including holdover hashes. Light that donut reticle up and I'd bet you could beat standard crosshairs in a scout scope? Especially with middle-aged and older eyes?

I'd bet Col Cooper would have gone this direction, had he had this modern glass to mount?

:twocents:

1) I agree the good Colonel would have made a different choice given modern technology. Or at least rethought the equipment a bit. I really don’t know how import things like stripper clips were to his philosophy.

2) Doing it again I would have opted for a 2x-10x scope. I find I don’t use 1 power much, even at very close range. My closer to 50 year old eyes like a little magnification.

3) my take on the modern scout rifle. The Sig Sauer Cross folds up nicely into a bag, uses the same magazines as the Ruger and shares controls with other AR pattern guns.

IMG_5610.jpeg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I never fell for the Scout Scope concept.
    Always shoot both eyes open, always have.
    Even when chucking w scope at 10 and 12X LOL
    Brain must be wired different.

Coopers little 600s were cute rifles though.
    A .350 mag w an Aimpoint at front scope base position would be a retro Wild Boar Fever rig :)

Top Bottom