• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    A friend recently gave me several pieces of fired .270 Winchester brass manufactured by Federal (FC stamp on case heads). It had been polished and was nice and shiny. Probably 7 or 8 pieces of the 31 total had been sized and deprimed before being polished. The rest had just been polished.

Upon closer inspection of the heads of the deprimed cases I noticed the outline of the ejector hole in the bolt face of the rifle in which they had been fired. In one of these cases I seated a previously used primer. It practically fell back out of the primer pocket. Another case did the same. All cases in which the primers were still in place the primers were very much flattened. And, most of those case heads also showed the outline of the ejector hole in the bolt face.

I pinched the necks shut on all 31 cases with a pliers and disposed of them in my “scrap brass recycling“ container. I do not want them to get in the hands of a novice (or experienced for that matter) handloader.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yup, it's toast. A previous user pushed the pressure pretty hard. Low pressure loads allow a long life for the brass. High pressure loads - not so much.

Top Bottom