• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MiNDRiVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Appears to be scratches and what looks like a sharpie mark on my feed ramp. I can't catch a fingernail on the scratches and they feel smooth but look terrible. About 600 rounds through it so far just federal fmj.

Dbw45Oy.jpg

xV55uKp.jpg

trfYo3Y.jpg

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I would NOT touch it with a dremel. I would make a few extremely light passes with some very fine grit sand paper and honing oil (800). Copper is softer than steel and it looks like the deepest of those scratches is going to the side, not following the feed ramp into the barrel, i doubt if your fmj's are causing that.

MiNDRiVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What kind of firearm are we looking at?

Sig SP2022

Well I did have a pretty bad failure to feed and the case was deformed afterwards wish i would have kept the round. But I noticed these scratches started to appear around the 300 round mark. Should I not worry and just keep shooting the damn thing?

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    If you cant scratch it with your finger nail, the scratches are probably less than ten thousands. You can feel .010 with your finger nail(barely). I wouldnt worry about it unless they start to get worse. You can sand lightly with very fine grit sand paper and they will disappear. But i would do no more.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    A dremel with a clean polyester buffing wheel and no grit or compound of any kind will surface polish a feed ramp to a mirror finish without removing any metal. Ya some will have a :poop: fit at the mention of the word dremel, but I have polished tons of brass and soft chrome parts with more aggressive equipment and compound on purpose as part of the finishing process.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    A dremel with a clean polyester buffing wheel and no grit or compound of any kind will surface polish a feed ramp to a mirror finish without removing any metal. Ya some will have a :poop: fit at the mention of the word dremel, but I have polished tons of brass and soft chrome parts with more aggressive equipment and compound on purpose as part of the finishing process.

Any form of polishing removes metal, especially dry polishing or buffing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cratex is the best to use on this. It is not overly aggressive and you can control what is being removed.

MinDrive did you get my PM or can you get them yet??

I am very close to you.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Dremel with Flitz..

^^^+1 wolfman

ALL of my Semi-Autos get a polish job with Flitz and a small CLOTH buffing pad, on a Dremel Tool. Brings a mirror finish to the ramp and top of the chamber with little to no metal loss. YES, I shoot my guns+they do NOT have any Failure to Feed with proper loads..Bill.

MiNDRiVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Cratex is the best to use on this. It is not overly aggressive and you can control what is being removed.

MinDrive did you get my PM or can you get them yet??

I am very close to you.

I did but i can't send pm's for some reason. I'm going to give sig a call and see what they say. I'll probably shoot another 500 through it to see if there's an issue and if there is i may take you up on it.

MiNDRiVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Steel cased Ammo? Brass (the case) or Copper (the Bullet) are both softer than Steel, therefor they should not scratch the ramp. Did they forget to heat Treat the barrel? :patriot:

Nope only fired brass cased stuff through it. Sent picture's to sig and the rep said they would probably have me send it back in and they would polish it. He also said that the scratches are not normal =/

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sounds like Sig will take care of your issue. Much safer for you if they polish it, because if they do something wrong, they will make it right. If you tried to polish it out, and goofed, it would be out of your pocket completely.

Top Bottom