Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I really wish someone would return the favor to this F***ing animal.:xmad:

Asst. Fire Chief Claims Self-Defense in Puppy Killing

Chris Wolfe, KTLA News
    November 8, 2008
    RIVERSIDE -- This is one fence between neighbors that will never be mended.

Was the beating of a puppy self-defense, or animal cruelty?
    Now it's up to the Riverside County Sheriff's Office to try to uncover the truth.

"I just think he's an evil person.
    How can any human being just murder a puppy for no reason?" dogowner Shelley Toole says fighting through tears.

Her family can't sleep.

They say Monday, their next-door neighbor, in some kind of violent rage, beat their puppy so badly the dog had to be put down.

Karley was a six-month old shepherd mix.
    What may surprise many people is the fact that the neighbor is Los Angeles County Assistant Fire Chief Glynn Johnson.

An online biography lists a stellar 30-year career with the department. It says he's an expert in counter-terrorism, among other areas.

But his neighbors of the last ten years have a very different picture of the man. Jeff Toole, Shelley's husband, says he believes Chief Johnson "needs a lot of help."

We tried to talk with the public safety official Wednesday night, knocking on his front door repeatedly and calling out for him. But no one answered.

He was home because we later discovered he had called police to tell them to make sure we stay off his property.

Riverside County investigators tell KTLA the fire chief admits to beating the dog -- but says it was in self-defense because Karley attacked him viciously.

The Tooles say Monday evening, Karley got out and went to neighbor Travis Staggs' home. He lives on the other side of Chief Johnson's house.

Staggs says he was walking Karley home when Johnson stepped in and said he would take the dog back home.

Staggs says he reluctantly handed over the puppy, and that's when it happened in Johnson's front yard.

Travis Staggs tells KTLA that Glynn Johnson simply started beating the dog, and that the dog had not attacked Johnson first.

According to this witness, Johnson hit the dog repeatedly with a closed fist, put his hands in the puppy's mouth and tried to break its jaws, and eventually beat the dog over the head repeatedly with a large rock from the front yard.

Staggs says he tried to stop the attack but couldn't. The Toole family later decided to have Karley put down because of the extent of her injuries.

"It scares me, knowing I live next-door to this man," says Travis Staggs.

The Tooles say they will take civil action against the assistant fire chief regardless of the outcome of the criminal investigation.

Riverside County deputies tell KTLA they are conducting more interviews with witnesses in an attempt to determine what really happened in this case. If detectives find enough evidence that the dog beating was unwarranted, they will hand the case over to the district attorney for a possible animal cruelty charge, which is a felony.

The Tooles say there is a "history of violence" with Glynn Johnson, and deputies say they are looking into these claims as well.

"This man needs to go to prison for what he did," says Shelley Toole. She adds, "Karley was my baby, and he took her away from me."
    Los Angeles County Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman released the following statement:

"The Los Angeles County Fire Department is deeply concerned with allegations regarding Assistant Fire Chief Glynn Johnson's actions in the beating of his neighbor's dog. Prior to the news reports, Chief Johnson had advised his superiors of the incident and explained his actions as self-defense.

Given the nature of the allegations and the ongoing Riverside County Sheriff's investigation, Chief Johnson has been placed on administrative leave (with pay). Once more facts are available, the Department will take appropriate action as warranted.

There will be no further information available by the Department until the investigation is completed"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I saw this yesterday and refused to respond at the time, thinking I'd cool down some first. It didn't work. I'm still pissed at this MFSOB. Words cannot do justice to what I think of him or think should happen to him. If it was my dog, he'd be hurting an awful lot longer. There's a special place in Hell for this kind of slime.
    I'll stop now, but I had to vent some. :ranton:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I saw this yesterday and refused to respond at the time, thinking I'd cool down some first. It didn't work. I'm still pissed at this MFSOB. Words cannot do justice to what I think of him or think should happen to him. If it was my dog, he'd be hurting an awful lot longer. There's a special place in Hell for this kind of slime.
    I'll stop now, but I had to vent some. :ranton:

:+1: Unfortunately.... If I was this POS's neighbor, I'd probably go to jail myself for what I'd do to him at some point in time. :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    He would be having a bad day for a long time after I saw him and it was my dog!

If the Asst. Fire Chief severely beat a playful, 'baby' dog, he should be tried for cruelty to animals. If, on the other hand, this "six-month old shepherd mix" * was big enough to viciously inflict grave bodily injury or even kill, then the owners of this dog should be charged with an offense that provides a stiff penalty for carelessly endangering human life.

* Since dogs and cats grow rapidly compared to humans, I honestly don't know how large a six-month old shepherd mix is. Please help me out here.

Remember, pet owners who claim their canine or feline won't bite, don't really know that for a fact. Animals aren't firearms, which owners control 100%. Animals have minds of their own.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    If the Asst. Fire Chief severely beat a playful, 'baby' dog, he should be tried for cruelty to animals. If, on the other hand, this "six-month old shepherd mix" * was big enough to viciously inflict grave bodily injury or even kill, then the owners of this dog should be charged with an offense that provides a stiff penalty for carelessly endangering human life.

* Since dogs and cats grow rapidly compared to humans, I honestly don't know how large a six-month old shepherd mix is. Please help me out here.

Remember, pet owners who claim their canine or feline won't bite, don't really know that for a fact. Animals aren't firearms, which owners control 100%. Animals have minds of their own.

I think you need to re-read the story. This was not "self defense" regardless of what this POS says. This was the murder and torture of a young dog by a sick and apparently deeply deranged psychopath. And...I'm betting that you're not a pet owner. :rolleyes:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

I've never met a 6 month old dog that was either vicious or able to inflict bodily harm on anyone. It's a puppy, it jumps and plays and occasionally has an accident in the house. Puppies don't have that instinct yet.

I have no idea what kind of animal could rip a puppy's mouth open like that though, that's not even human.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    I think you need to re-read the story. This was not "self defense" regardless of what this POS says. This was the murder and torture of a young dog by a sick and apparently deeply deranged psychopath. And...I'm betting that you're not a pet owner. :rolleyes:

I once shot and killed a German Shepherd dog that attacked me on public property with the negligent owner present. To make a long story short, the owner whined to the prosecutor that I murdered her gentle, family pet that wouldn't hurt anyone, so I was charged with cruelty to animals. However, the court determined I was not guilty of anything but self-defense, and the judge read the riot act to the plaintiff. He also ordered the ISP to return my firearm. It is due to this ugly incident that I am always skeptical of the stories I hear and read about involving such encounters.

BTW, you'd lose that bet big time. I've been adopting, and finding good homes for abandoned cats and dogs for many moons. And I'm not the least bit shy about reporting abusive owners to the authorities either. Too many people treat other living creatures of God as novelties, or expendable commodities to be bought, sold, and eventually dumped on the street.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I once shot and killed a German Shepherd dog that attacked me on public property with the negligent owner present. To make a long story short, the owner whined to the prosecutor that I murdered her gentle, family pet that wouldn't hurt anyone, so I was charged with cruelty to animals. However, the court determined I was not guilty of anything but self-defense, and the judge read the riot act to the plaintiff. He also ordered the ISP to return my firearm. It is due to this ugly incident that I am always skeptical of the stories I hear and read about involving such encounters.

BTW, you'd lose that bet big time. I've been adopting, and finding good homes for abandoned cats and dogs for many moons. And I'm not the least bit shy about reporting abusive owners to the authorities either. Too many people treat other living creatures of God as novelties, or expendable commodities to be bought, sold, and eventually dumped on the street.

I'm sorry for what happened to you, and if the story is exactly how you say it was then you were completely in the right...However, I would be willing to wager everything I own that that GSD that attacked you was not 6 months old. Dogs that young (to my knowledge) are not capable of attacking someone. Not to mention he could have stopped at beating it half to death, I'm pretty sure ripping its jaws apart might have been a little overboard.:rolleyes:

Jesus, the more I think about it the more upset I get; that's not even human.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    I'm sorry for what happened to you, and if the story is exactly how you say it was then you were completely in the right...However, I would be willing to wager everything I own that that GSD that attacked you was not 6 months old. Dogs that young (to my knowledge) are not capable of attacking someone. Not to mention he could have stopped at beating it half to death, I'm pretty sure ripping its jaws apart might have been a little overboard.:rolleyes:

Jesus, the more I think about it the more upset I get; that's not even human.

Well, I'm truly sorry I'm not able to provide you with pictures of the incident I described to eliminate any doubts you might have concerning my act of self-defense against a vicious, uncontrolled animal. But I was a little too busy at the time to get off any snapshots; with a camera, that is. :rolleyes:

If I had even had the opportunity to attempt to rip apart the jaws of that particular dog, I would be pecking on this keyboard with prosthetic hooks. As I previously stated, if that was a "baby" dog, then the Asst. Fire Chief should be appropriately charged with cruelty to animals.

BTW, the negligent owner of the dog that attacked me is now breeding attack dogs to sell. Frankly, I hope some of the mother dogs decide to use these human idiots for puppy chow.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    It's funny how people usually get more worked up when an animal is killed than when a human is killed. Nothing against you, fine folks; just an observation.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    It's funny how people usually get more worked up when an animal is killed than when a human is killed. Nothing against you, fine folks; just an observation.

What is really sad is when that dog is more loyal then a a so called friend!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Well, I'm truly sorry I'm not able to provide you with pictures of the incident I described to eliminate any doubts you might have concerning my act of self-defense against a vicious, uncontrolled animal. But I was a little too busy at the time to get off any snapshots; with a camera, that is. :rolleyes:

If I had even had the opportunity to attempt to rip apart the jaws of that particular dog, I would be pecking on this keyboard with prosthetic hooks. As I previously stated, if that was a "baby" dog, then the Asst. Fire Chief should be appropriately charged with cruelty to animals.

BTW, the negligent owner of the dog that attacked me is now breeding attack dogs to sell. Frankly, I hope some of the mother dogs decide to use these human idiots for puppy chow.

IMHO - It sounds to me like you are having a problem separating an act of savage cruelty with self defense. There is NO comparison. I'm confused why you started in with this whole diatribe about "vicious animals open on the roam" in the first place as it has no real application to this story at all. No one has yet questioned your actions or asked for pictorial proof of such actions. The OP posted a story that has NOTHING to do with your experience. The perpetrator of this savage and inhumane act is a P.O.S. and anybody who has to even suggest that he is somehow justified in such actions has ISSUES of their own that apparently needs to be dealt with. :dunno:

Top Bottom