• ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    What are your preferences in SD rounds?

I only have Hornady Critical Defense in my .45, but my 9mm is happy with either the CDs or Winchester PDX1s. I've shot at watermelons with all of the above, and they all seem about the same as far as destructive power. The .45 of course had a MUCH higher visual appeal though, seconded only by the deer slug, but thats another topic in itself.

What about switching rounds for the season? I like how CD has the insert to prevent clogging from heavy winter clothing, but the PDX1 tests that i've seen have had more uniform expansion. There must be a reason they passed FBI tests right?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I go with Honady and don't look back. If you do your part, it doesn't matter if one isa wee bit better than the other. I have the utmost confidence in Hornady. It has worked flawlessly for me.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My current ammo is that .40 Winchester police overrun that's floating around. It's basically the same as the Ranger T that I had before.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Winchester Ranger Bonded (RA40B)

Why?
    It seemed to feed more reliable than HST in my XDs
    The muzzle flash (is that the proper term) also seemed to be slightly less
    I just seemed to build more confidence with the round as I have fired more
    I liked the results of the bullets after firing though water jugs
    Maybe I just got a bad lot of HSTs but it seemed like they had way more imperfections in the bullet than the rangers

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Kinda a Corbon guy myself.. I know their pricey, but god they make the melons splat so well. SXTs are my second if Corbons are being price gouged or just unavailable.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I'm carrying 124gr HSTs in my 9s and 45s, and federal tactical bonded in 40.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Kinda a Corbon guy myself.. I know their pricey, but god they make the melons splat so well. SXTs are my second if Corbons are being price gouged or just unavailable.

^^This^^

Buy the best you can afford.

Corbon is run by people that have been in LE and does not cost that much more.

~ TK

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    180 gr Federal HST's.

Same here. Seen and heard nuthing but good things about them. Bought 500 rounds of it at bulk price specifically to test in my G23 since that is the most important aspect of SD ammo; function. Shot probably atleast 150 rounds so far and not even a single hint of problems as of yet. all felt extremely consistent and accuracy was as good as i could judge, since i was shooting at 25yds exclusively. still goin to keep shooting it obviously since 150rnds is not enough to be totally confident. But so far so good and every time i researched SD ammo Federal HST's made an appearance.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom