Searches at my local Wal-Mart this evening...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    So, interesting sight tonight at my Wal-Mart in Bloomington this evening. When I came by there today at around 2:00 today it was closed, fire trucks blocking all the entrances. My wife heard that there was a bomb threat there from someone who was there when that had to leave. Hearsay so far, but it would make sense.

So tonight she wanted to stop and get some makeup, I dropped her at the door and then drove to wait in the car. She comes back to the car and says there is a sign saying GM (general merchandise I believe) is closed, and the doors are locked on this side. She says to forget it and go to CVS, but as we drive by the other entrance she looks in and they are wanding people going in and checking purses before you can get in. What the heck? We did not go in, but I thought it was interesting, what reason do they have for that? Policeman doing the wanding it appeared. No other emergency vehicles besides one cop car.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I actually had that thought, but my wife said I was an idiot as they appear to have something to be upset about already. Still wanted to do it.

I then said I could tape a few forks to my back, she nixed that also. :):

Apparently when they had the initial scare this afternoon they came on and said no one could leave, then immediately came back on and said everyone HAD to leave!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wal-Mart back open after bomb threat
    Nothing found after five-hour shutdown; phone call being investigated
    By Marcela Creps 331-4375 | mcreps@heraldt.com
    June 12, 2008
    The Wal-Mart Supercenter on Bloomington’s west side was shut down for nearly five hours after a bomb threat was called in to the store.

Nothing was found, according to Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Scott Mellinger.

The store reopened shortly after 6 p.m. Police are investigating phone records in hopes of finding the culprit.

Van Buren Township Fire Chief Tim Deckard said his department was dispatched to the store at 12:23 p.m.

Upon their arrival, fire personnel blocked the entrances while shoppers and store personnel were evacuated.

A Bloomington Transit bus was called to the scene to transport workers to nearby Sam’s Club.

A dog was called in to search the massive, 213,000-square-foot store. Deckard said that search took a long time because the animal was required to take a 20-minute break after searching for 20 minutes.

With such a large area to cover, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office called in a second dog to sniff for explosives.

Although emergency vehicles blocked the entrances during the search, that didn’t stop some eager shoppers from trying to use the exits.

Deckard, who used his vehicle to block the entrance from Leonard Springs Road, said customers complained that it was probably a prank.

“We can’t take that chance,” Deckard said. “We’ve got to do what we’ve got to do to make sure it’s safe. It’s a public building.”

The Wal-Mart Supercenter, on Ind. 45, opened in October 2006.
    Mellinger said it was unknown what the caller said when the bomb threat was made.

He said the phone company would be providing a list of incoming calls within the next 24 hours. After that, Mellinger said, it would be “like searching for a needle in the haystack” to find the caller.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A dog was called in to search the massive, 213,000-square-foot store. Deckard said that search took a long time because the animal was required to take a 20-minute break after searching for 20 minutes.

I didn't know dogs had a labor union!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Can't figure why half the store would be closed and the other half open.

That would be called greed. I'd guess they figured the store is big enough, a bomb could go off in one part and not effect the other. Most likely they had the open part "cleared."

Last time I was in there (months ago,) they had fire trucks and firemen blocking the grocery side. Supposedly, a hazardous refrigeration gas leak caused the closing of that part. Like a hazardous gas leak wouldn't go throughout the whole building.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    maybe they were looking for Milton's red swingline stapler.....:):

funny-pictures-melvin-cat-wants-sta.jpg

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    the walmart in muncie on 332 had a bomb scare awhile back, it was a suspicious suitcase, prolly a samsonite, so the bomb squad blew it up, guess what.....it was full of clothes.....:):

Top Bottom