• ...and so much more!
  • GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Hello Everyone!
    I am searching for some M1 Garand ball ammo and not having much luck. I really don't need more enblocs but will purchase if they come with ammunition. Gunbroker prices are ridiculous and all searches of the net are coming up with few results. CMP stores are currently closed to catch up on existing orders. I am not an avid CMP shooter but would like to have some ammo to let my 15 year old son learn the M1 Garand platform.

Any help would be appreciated!

GSPBirdDog

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sorry, can't help.
    I've got a spam can of some HXP stuff that I bought from the CMP a decade ago and the can is still sealed.
    I've been told it's what everyone wants for their Garands, but this stuff will (someday) go through my B.A.R.

I di wish you luck in this market.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    PPU makes commercial ammo that is optimized for the Garand. Not sure about the availability these days though. I've still got a decent supply of the HXP from CMP too, but I don't think it's available anymore (at least not from CMP).

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You may want to consider looking into using a Schuster or McCann ported gas plug, or a gas plug from garandgear.com.
    Using one of these allows you to more or less adjust the pressure curve of commercial 30.06 ammo, (which may or may not be more available than M2ball.) Garandgear.com has an extensive article detailing the use of commercial ammo in a M1.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You may want to consider looking into using a Schuster or McCann ported gas plug, or a gas plug from garandgear.com.
    Using one of these allows you to more or less adjust the pressure curve of commercial 30.06 ammo, (which may or may not be more available than M2ball.) Garandgear.com has an extensive article detailing the use of commercial ammo in a M1.
    This. Cheap insurance.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    So just curious.. but assuming your M1 fires 30-06 ammo, and I know there are different versions of every caliber, but what makes a good round or a particular round for the M1 Garand?

Ron

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So just curious.. but assuming your M1 fires 30-06 ammo, and I know there are different versions of every caliber, but what makes a good round or a particular round for the M1 Garand?

Ron
    Without the adjustable gas plug, most commercial 30-06 is too hot for the Garand and can cause the op rod to bend if used regularly. The surplus stuff is a lower velocity, as are the commercial rounds that have been optimized for the Garand (like the PPU I mentioned).

Here is some more info...

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I am certainly not an expert, but I have read that the ammo that one uses in a M1 Garand should be chosen carefully so that the end result of shooting it is not a bent op rod. The ported gas plugs allow one to shoot a variety of commercial ammo without damaging the op rod. There is a lot of info at garandgear.com or
    forums.thecmp.org that may provide the information that you are seeking. I have reloaded 110-168 grain bullets very successfully using various M1 powders for my rifle. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Without the adjustable gas plug, most commercial 30-06 is too hot for the Garand and can cause the op rod to bend if used regularly. The surplus stuff is a lower velocity, as are the commercial rounds that have been optimized for the Garand (like the PPU I mentioned).

Here is some more info...
    Got it. Thanks for all of the info!

I looked in my Hornady reloading manual and they actually have a separate loading for the M1 Garand. Looks to be about, on average, about 10 grains less for a 150 grain bullet.

Ron

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Thanks for all the responses and PM's everyone has sent! I am definitely going to pick up a modified gas block so I don't bend my op rod. My M1 Garand has a new criterion barrel on it but everything else is original. Got it from CMP that way with certificate of authenticity. Always wanted one and never really knew how fun they are to shoot until I purchased mine. Now i am going to have to get a 1903 Springfield and a M1 Carbine! Oh boy.....what have i gotten myself into?!?! LOL

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Thanks for the INFO!

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm afraid prices everywhere will likely be crazy ATM. American Eagle, Sellior & Bellot, and Prvi Partizan all make reduced power 30-06 loads that mimic M2 ball spec and are M1 safe. Pre-pandemic, the American Eagle was about $1/round, Sellior & Bellt was ~80 cents/ round, and the Prvi Partizan could be found as cheap as 64 cents/round. I'm sure that if you can find any of this stuff, or Greek HXP, you'll likely have to pay more than $1/round. CMP hasn't had HXP for years, and old GI surplus ammo is likely sealed and practically a collector's item. Cheap, surplus 30-06 is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.

Since no one else has suggested it, there's always reloading. I bought a single stage Lee press and have found it works just fine for me. I know it's a several hundred dollar investment up front, but you can for sure save in the long run. If that's not an attractive option, you could try a WTB ad in the classifieds. It's a hard time to be looking for ammo - I sympathize.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    led4thehed2 is correct about considering reloading for the M1. Again I would refer to the CMP Forums sub heading Reloading. There is a lot of valuable information about reloading for a M1., from bullet weights and styles, types of primers, the kinds of weights and brands of powders, to seating lengths. All info can be used as a guide, some of the folks on the forum are very experienced at reloading, and some are very helpful by providing one on one info. Still one should reference a reloading manual.

Right now, of course, getting primers can be difficult. I have shot very little commercial ammo, as I enjoy trying out a variety of safe reloading “recipes”.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Garandgear.com has an extensive article detailing the use of commercial ammo in a M1.

JFYI - last plug I ordered from garandgear on a Friday, had it on Monday. Pleased with the quick shipping.

And a link to the article mentioned above for convenience:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Excellent, cosermann. I was just going to post the same article, not only because it talks somewhat about the ported plug but because of all the data on commercial ammunition

Heartily agree that the only way to be totally comfortable with what you're shooting is to load it yourself and develop the load for your specific rifle(s)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Ron
    The articles mentioned up thread cover it in more detail with pressure curve graphs but for those that don't want to take the time to read them, it has to do with the amount of pressure remaining in the barrel when the bullet crosses the gas port. That's controlled not only by the amount of powder but the speed at which it burns: a fast powder is mostly used up by the time the gas port is reached, a slow powder is still burning (and making more pressure) then. You can have different gas port pressures with different loads at the same (or different) peak pressure and velocity so MV isn't a good indicator of M1-safe ammo.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hello Everyone!
    I am searching for some M1 Garand ball ammo and not having much luck. I really don't need more enblocs but will purchase if they come with ammunition. Gunbroker prices are ridiculous and all searches of the net are coming up with few results. CMP stores are currently closed to catch up on existing orders. I am not an avid CMP shooter but would like to have some ammo to let my 15 year old son learn the M1 Garand platform.

Any help would be appreciated!

GSPBirdDog
    If you can find this it is specifically made for the M1 Garand.
    1626891036988.png

Top Bottom