• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have never hunted with a Muzzleloader so I have never really considered the timing of the second rut. Does anyone have any word to when this generally occurs? (Indiana) Thanks

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have never hunted with a Muzzleloader so I have never really considered the timing of the second rut. Does anyone have any word to when this generally occurs? (Indiana) Thanks

The timing of the initial rut varies from year to year, and supposedly the so called, second rut occurs approximately 30 days after the initial rut. The primary rut occurred later this year than last, by several weeks. We`ve seen buck still harassing does as recently as this Saturday past.

As was said, hunt the food sources this time of year. The bucks that are after does will follow them right to the feed anyway, because the doe families are all about putting on the feedbag now. As the weather gets colder, and especially if there is snow cover, the deer will go into survival mode and will hit food sources even during daylight, as they`re trying to simply survive.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    In my past experiences during muzzle loader I have always seen some sign of rutting behavior round the second weekend. This year it will probably be later than normal where I hunt due to the almost non existent rut in my area. I've been out every weekend and one week straight since end of bow and haven't witnessed any rutting activities. Likewise none of my cameras have picked up anything either.
    Like what others have said, hunt the food sources. Where there is food there will be does, where there are does the bucks will follow. Also don't be afraid to use calls, scents and eapecially rattle during muzzleloader. I rattled in biggest buck opening weekend of muzzleloader three years ago. You just don't want to make it sound like two 180 inch bucks going at. Less is more in this case.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The second rut is not concentrated in a short period of time nor is it at intense as the primary rut. In theory it can last throughout December and even into early January as yearling does become receptive but in practice your best opportunity to see secondary rutting activity will be in the first two weeks of December. The good news is that some of the most mature bucks are at their most active level of the year looking for the last few does. The other good news is that hunting cover near primary food sources in the evenings and travel routes between bedding and feeding areas in the morning will work at this time of year regardless of second rut. Spend as much time in the woods as you can and hope for cold, snowy weather to get deer on their feet before dark.

ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    The rut is not a specific time. Does come into season at varying points. Their is a peak rut where the biggest number of does come in at the same time. However, deer are on different cycles and can vary by as much as a month. Food sources are key, in addition to protection from the wind. Try to find areas that are either food sources or paths from food sources sheltered from cold winds. Dress warm and be safe. Good luck!!!!

Rattler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Indpls
    Right. Food sources are the key.....that and some nice cold weather or snow. I love being out in the woods right after fresh snow and you can see waay up through the woods. Heres hoping we get some in the next couple weeks :)

Top Bottom