• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yes if you are getting sooty cases from blow back or unburned powder flakes. Check your data and see where you ate at load wise.
    That's good info because it is counter-intuitive to what I'd expect. In my (feeble) mind I'd expect more powder would produce more unburnt powder since not all of it would have a chance to burn before the bullet left the case.

But I suppose it could be explained by increased powder volume decreases case volume increasing pressure a little faster thus burning more before the bullet leaves the case.

Oro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    I second WSF. I have used it in 45acp, 40 S&W, 9mm. All work well with Super Field and is really clean burning.

Longshot is another good one for clean burning powders. Both are ball and meter well.

WST is an option, too. Very akin to WSF (they are cater cousins). I have used it for 25+ years with great satisfaction, mainly .45 and .38 but also 9. Clean, consistent, and burns well/completely at even light plinking/target loadings.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    I've only ever used Longshot. I picked that one because I had it on hand and is seems to be able to generate great velocities without a lot of pressure if you go to the upper end of the range. Some have said that it is dirty but I haven't noticed it.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm another fan of Red Dot but have been out for two years. I picked up 8 pounds of W244 for a great price and have been working with it. I like what I've found so far in 9mm and 38 Special. Took a chance and worked up a 12 gauge load for it too. None were listed but the burn rate is right next to Unique. I have some 45acp loads made to see how they run. I expect good things.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Can't go wrong with Unique.

Jon
    Yeah, if you can find it. I’ve got 2 lbs of Unique.bullseye and Red Dot each that I’m rationing because of the hit or miss with Alliant powders. I’ve been loading them for years and it’s always my starting point but I’ve started looking elsewhere for powder. Unique was the first powder I started loading with and I love it for .38s and some shotgun because you can do so much more with it which is why it makes it Unique. FYI some of my Unique cans still have the Hercules name on them. Man I wish times were simpler.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I'm another fan of Red Dot but have been out for two years. I picked up 8 pounds of W244 for a great price and have been working with it. I like what I've found so far in 9mm and 38 Special. Took a chance and worked up a 12 gauge load for it too. None were listed but the burn rate is right next to Unique. I have some 45acp loads made to see how they run. I expect good things.
    Red dot and Unique are not close
    to the same burn rate nor is 244 . Red Dot is right there with Bullseye and and Clays.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yeah, if you can find it. I’ve got 2 lbs of Unique.bullseye and Red Dot each that I’m rationing because of the hit or miss with Alliant powders. I’ve been loading them for years and it’s always my starting point but I’ve started looking elsewhere for powder. Unique was the first powder I started loading with and I love it for .38s and some shotgun because you can do so much more with it which is why it makes it Unique. FYI some of my Unique cans still have the Hercules name on them. Man I wish times were simpler.
    Call Brian at Brians Surplus in Greentown and see what he has in stock and showup the day after he gets s few pallets of powder in.

Top Bottom