• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    My (14yo) son and I have inherited a 1976 MonArk 14' Jon boat. The boat is pretty well set-up, and came with a couple spare outboard motors.

I know virtually nothing about boats, so I'm here looking for advice, and maybe new fishing buddies.

The boat is currently powered by a 1962 Johnson QD-23 R 10hp outboard, with a Minn Kota 30lb trolling motor. It's setup for 2 batteries, and has a Garmin Striker fish finder. I'll post some pics soon, as we just got it home.

I've been reading thru some other Jon boat threads, looking forward to learning, and getting it in the water...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First towing. Got to get the boat to the water. Check lights that you have the correct size hitch, that the boat is tied in front and rear very well to the trailer, that the lights work and the hubs are greased and the tires are not dry rotted.

Second launching the boat. I would think practice backing the trailer in a lot first the spend a while watching others launch boats where you will be launching.

Third make sure you have your coins paid the the king for permission to be on the water with a motor.

After that make sure you have paddles and life jackets. The rest is easy. Wet a line if the engine dies then row till someone comes and saves you from rowing. A 14 footer is not hard to row unless you are in a storm wind

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    First towing. Got to get the boat to the water. Check lights that you have the correct size hitch, that the boat is tied in front and rear very well to the trailer, that the lights work and the hubs are greased and the tires are not dry rotted.

Second launching the boat. I would think practice backing the trailer in a lot first the spend a while watching others launch boats where you will be launching.

Third make sure you have your coins paid the the king for permission to be on the water with a motor.

After that make sure you have paddles and life jackets. The rest is easy. Wet a line if the engine dies then row till someone comes and saves you from rowing. A 14 footer is not hard to row unless you are in a storm wind
    '14 Ram 2500 has the towing covered. Trailer lighting, tires, hubs in good working order. I have trailer backing experience, but no boat launching experience.

Have ordered motorized permit from DNR even though it has a current valid tag. Will visit bmv for plates and title. Paddles and jackets are covered as well.

Going to replace both batteries, would agm be worth the added expense?

Will post a few pics when I figure that out...haha

Thanks for the reply, all information is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230816_194033.jpg
      20230816_194033.jpg
      909.2 KB · Views: 36
    • 20230816_193205.jpg
      20230816_193205.jpg
      581.5 KB · Views: 36

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Don`t take all of your guns with you ( depending on the political climate ......) ;) JK ..............

Can`t add too much ..........Unplug your wiring harness before backing into the water .
    Hope you and your son make many good memories with it !

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Not a pro by any means. But my 2 cents, big waves are not your friend. Shallow rocky water can ruin your prop quickly. Have an extra on hand, along with a few sheer pins. You can get plastic (cheaper) props from Cabalas. Sheer pins can be made with a 16 penny nail cut to correct length. Tape both to the inside of the motor cover. Shallow sandy water is hard on your impeller, avoid it. Keep your battery well away from your gas tank and line.

Drain the water from the lower unit before winter, also this is a good time to change the oil in the lower at the same time.

Trailering in moving water (rivers) takes practice.

Make a few anchors using 3 lb. coffee cans and a bag of Sakrete, a lot cheaper than buying new when one hangs up in deep water and you have to cut the line.

The DNR is rough on lack of proper documentation, floatation, drinking, daily limit, have extra life jackets. And always make sure of your secondary means of propulsion.

Check your drain plug before putting in. (Ask me how I know this). :lmfao:

Good luck, don’t catch them all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    '14 Ram 2500 has the towing covered. Trailer lighting, tires, hubs in good working order. I have trailer backing experience, but no boat launching experience.

Have ordered motorized permit from DNR even though it has a current valid tag. Will visit bmv for plates and title. Paddles and jackets are covered as well.

Going to replace both batteries, would agm be worth the added expense?

Will post a few pics when I figure that out...haha

Thanks for the reply, all information is appreciated!
    Knowing where you are might be helpful. You didnt put your location in the post or your profile.

Be prepared to re-register the full amount no matter what is left on the stickers currently on the boat. Ticked me off to no end with 6 months left to go on my new to me boat's tags, that no credit was given for unused excise taxes.

And dont get me started on the double dipping of the motorized state permit you need for some lakes. Greedy bastages.

Also, Nice Johnson. :lmfao:

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Not a pro by any means. But my 2 cents, big waves are not your friend. Shallow rocky water can ruin your prop quickly. Have an extra on hand, along with a few sheer pins. You can get plastic (cheaper) props from Cabalas. Sheer pins can be made with a 16 penny nail cut to correct length. Tape both to the inside of the motor cover. Shallow sandy water is hard on your impeller, avoid it. Keep your battery well away from your gas tank and line.

Drain the water from the lower unit before winter, also this is a good time to change the oil in the lower at the same time.

Trailering in moving water (rivers) takes practice.

Make a few anchors using 3 lb. coffee cans and a bag of Sakrete, a lot cheaper than buying new when one hangs up in deep water and you have to cut the line.

The DNR is rough on lack of proper documentation, floatation, drinking, daily limit, have extra life jackets. And always make sure of your secondary means of propulsion.

Definitely searching for small, not busy bodies of water to learn on. I'm located OK the east side of indy.

Found a stash of shear pins in the boat, and searching the web for a good manual for the motor(s). Boat also came with fore and aft mounted anchors.

Definitely hip on the dnr docs and regs.

Thanks for the advice!

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Knowing where you are might be helpful. You didnt put your location in the post or your profile.

Be prepared to re-register the full amount no matter what is left on the stickers currently on the boat. Ticked me off to no end with 6 months left to go on my new to me boat's tags, that no credit was given for unused excise taxes.

And dont get me started on the double dipping of the motorized state permit you need for some lakes. Greedy bastages.

Also, Nice Johnson. :lmfao:
    Yeah, agreed on the double dipping. Ordered the pass, I tell myself I'd donate the money anyway.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As another mentioned don't forget the butt plug.

Has the motor been sitting any length of time? Have you run it with some muffs to make sure the water pump/impeller is working? Check/change the gear oil in the lower unit as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

BTDT. The first time I went/launched solo, I backed in solo. I backed down the ramp slowly. I got out and stood on the trailer with the bow line in my hand and started to push the boat off. I wondered to myself "Why the hell isnt this thing just sliding off the trailer? Nobody is sitting in it?

Then I saw the water slowly coming out from under the rear bench seat. CRAP! The plug!

I pulled forward about 10' and let it drain before actually putting the plug in. :facepalm:

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    As another mentioned don't forget the butt plug.

Has the motor been sitting any length of time? Have you run it with some muffs to make sure the water pump/impeller is working? Check/change the gear oil in the lower unit as well.
    The motor(s) have not run in about a year. 2 of them were stored inside a climate controlled area. From what I know about the previous owner, and the outward appearance of them, I bet they run pretty well for their age. I've not yet tested any of them, need a big drum for water flow, correct?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The motor(s) have not run in about a year. 2 of them were stored inside a climate controlled area. From what I know about the previous owner, and the outward appearance of them, I bet they run pretty well for their age. I've not yet tested any of them, need a big drum for water flow, correct?
    Set of muffs work just fine for flushing and testing the impeller.

Amazon product ASIN B07GBBQCZ9

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I actually prefer a 33 gallon trash can over muffs. Muffs can mask impeller issues.

If you use muffs, you can get to the lake and discover it isnt peeing, and you didnt know back home because the water pressure caused the flow.

I drilled a hole at the base of my barn trash can and hot glued in a drain. I pull the trash bag, slide the empty can up over the lower unit, fill it with water, and then when done drain the water and reverse the procedure.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    My (14yo) son and I have inherited a 1976 MonArk 14' Jon boat. The boat is pretty well set-up, and came with a couple spare outboard motors.

I know virtually nothing about boats, so I'm here looking for advice, and maybe new fishing buddies.

The boat is currently powered by a 1962 Johnson QD-23 R 10hp outboard, with a Minn Kota 30lb trolling motor. It's setup for 2 batteries, and has a Garmin Striker fish finder. I'll post some pics soon, as we just got it home.

I've been reading thru some other Jon boat threads, looking forward to learning, and getting it in the water...

What's your location? If close, I'd be happy to help get you set up.

Rescue912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Lafayette
    Looks awesome, great job. Definitely plan on replacing impeller before getting on the water. They are rubber and will come apart and you don't want to overheat the engine.

I run a 70's Mercury on my Jon and haven't had any issues. Check your points gap on the Johnson (may need flywheel puller) but it isn't tough once you've seen it once.

Scour ebay for parts and buy them when you see them if you are going to stick with the old motors. Points, trigger, magneto, etc. can get finicky so good to have spares. I made a new wiring harness for my little Merc and it has never let me down.

Have fun & hit me up if you need spider riggin' rods, I'll make you a deal...

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I actually prefer a 33 gallon trash can over muffs. Muffs can mask impeller issues.

If you use muffs, you can get to the lake and discover it isnt peeing, and you didnt know back home because the water pressure caused the flow.

I drilled a hole at the base of my barn trash can and hot glued in a drain. I pull the trash bag, slide the empty can up over the lower unit, fill it with water, and then when done drain the water and reverse the procedure.
    This is similar to what the previous owner had. He was using a blue water barrel that was notched around the shaft and power head. Unfortunately, that didn't come with the boat.... I like this idea, easy to work with.

Top Bottom