• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I actually prefer a 33 gallon trash can over muffs. Muffs can mask impeller issues.

If you use muffs, you can get to the lake and discover it isnt peeing, and you didnt know back home because the water pressure caused the flow.

I drilled a hole at the base of my barn trash can and hot glued in a drain. I pull the trash bag, slide the empty can up over the lower unit, fill it with water, and then when done drain the water and reverse the procedure.
    Definitely a better option than the muffs but they served me well thru the years. Plus I changed the impeller every 2-3 years regardless as a PM.

Don't know much about the newer motors and if they've changed to an aluminum or steel impeller (like a car water pump) but the older outboards I've dealt with the rubber impeller would definitely deteriorate in that timeframe

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Looks awesome, great job. Definitely plan on replacing impeller before getting on the water. They are rubber and will come apart and you don't want to overheat the engine.

I run a 70's Mercury on my Jon and haven't had any issues. Check your points gap on the Johnson (may need flywheel puller) but it isn't tough once you've seen it once.

Scour ebay for parts and buy them when you see them if you are going to stick with the old motors. Points, trigger, magneto, etc. can get finicky so good to have spares. I made a new wiring harness for my little Merc and it has never let me down.

Have fun & hit me up if you need spider riggin' rods, I'll make you a deal...
    Thanks for the reply. 3- 60s era outboards, all look like museum pieces. Look as clean as if they just left the factory.

Being on the older side of life, points and condensers are how I learned.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Todays progress so far. Dunked the lower in trash can full of water, few pumps on the primer bulb, hand full of pulls on the rope, and she lives! Ran pretty well, all things considered.

Taking the advice of replacing impeller before we hit the water, will need to research the process, doesn't appear too complicated. Any other tips for the lower unit if it needs service?

Leak test is on deck. I've seen a few tips on sealing or replacing any leaking rivets. Hopefully will find time today to stop by BMV and grab a couple new batteries.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Been a busy few days, learning has occurred. What I know (have learned) so far:

1976 MonArk 14' (1436)
    1962 Johnson QD-23

Most things appear to be in serviceable condition, all things considered. I think it was last on the water probably 18 months, or so, ago. I did a brief test run, in a trash can full of water. Motor ran, water pump appeared to be functional, went in forward and reverse gear.

All paperwork for BMV and DNR has been completed.

Current "to-do" list...
    Trailer tires have been replaced, new hubs and bearings have been purchased.
    Water pump kit has been purchased (with housing, just in case)
    Need to service lower unit fluid, yet to be sourced.

Boat was setup for 2 batteries, but neither were installed. Main battery appears to have been a group 27, with a smaller U1 in addition. None of the wiring was labelled, nor fused, and all wire was black. :wallbash: Spent a bit ID'ing the wiring, and am pulling new colored wiring to proper locations. Purchased a new group 24 agm, along with a new U1 agm, and fused terminal blocks. I think the previous owner had the trolling motor wired to the U1 battery, for some reason, but plan to run troller off the group 24, with the Garmin and some accessory items running from the U1.

Have not yet leak tested the hull, but appears to be in decent condition for age. There are some dents on the bottom of the stern, can't really tell if from rocks/stumps, or possibly transport?

Few more pics...

20230821_185751.jpg 20230821_185643.jpg 20230821_183250.jpg 20230821_180136.jpg 20230819_125942.jpg 20230818_183311.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You could waste away all the warm weather and all the fishing just making that outboard work right.

I'd check the electronics and get that boat in the water ASAP. That in itself could turn into a much bigger job than assumed?

Find a nice public trolling motor only waterway and hope to be casting by your third/fourth time dropping the boat in the water.

:hooked:

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    You could waste away all the warm weather and all the fishing just making that outboard work right.

I'd check the electronics and get that boat in the water ASAP. That in itself could turn into a much bigger job than assumed?

Find a nice public trolling motor only waterway and hope to be casting by your third/fourth time dropping the boat in the water.

:hooked:
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it, and I agree. Surprisingly, the brief test run I did gave me hope that its been cared for really well.

The boat belonged to my brother in law, who passed from cancer last Monday. He was the typical blue collar guy, bow hunting and fishing from that boat were his life. He wanted my son to have the boat, so I agreed to help prolong the legacy. It's obviously going to be a labor of love.

I really wanted to go over the boat, mostly due to my lack of knowledge about boats, and the desire to have an enjoyable safe experience. The first excursion will likely be just what you described, a nice brief trip to test out the troller, and the outboard, and see where we stand. My work schedule, and tying up loose ends for his estate, have kinda slowed some of our progress, but I hope to see some water in the next couple weeks.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Definitely searching for small, not busy bodies of water to learn on. I'm located OK the east side of indy.

Found a stash of shear pins in the boat, and searching the web for a good manual for the motor(s). Boat also came with fore and aft mounted anchors.

Definitely hip on the dnr docs and regs.

Thanks for the advice!
    Big time on the shear pins. A buddy and me went out on hes new to him boat.
    Hit somthin and broke the pin. We were stranded. A looong way to the ramp. Then we got the idea to use the metal wire that they make spinner bates out of. It would get a hundred feet and break. We went thru 10 or 15 spinner bait lures

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I know, right?? I really had no idea that people fabbed up center console control for these things!
    As an aside to the shear pin topic. If you do damage your prop in the process try not to run the motor with an out of balance prop. It can and will damage your lower unit. That’s why I said something about the less expensive plastic props. A good shop can repair and balance a bad prop. A lot of guys carry what is known locally as a Tippy prop. The Tippy known as notorious for destroying props. Best of luck, standing by to hear how she floats.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    As an aside to the shear pin topic. If you do damage your prop in the process try not to run the motor with an out of balance prop. It can and will damage your lower unit. That’s why I said something about the less expensive plastic props. A good shop can repair and balance a bad prop. A lot of guys carry what is known locally as a Tippy prop. The Tippy known as notorious for destroying props. Best of luck, standing by to hear how she floats.
    Oddly enough, of all the extra parts I've discovered, spare props are not included in that. It was on my radar to have a spare, or two, but I know nothing about the proper pitch, etc. I did buy a Johnson/Evinrude manual that covers 1958-1972 outboards, so I should be able to locate a good part number.

I can always order online, but my preference is to support local shops. Are there any recommended places to buy parts/accessories, somewhat local in the Indy area?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Oddly enough, of all the extra parts I've discovered, spare props are not included in that. It was on my radar to have a spare, or two, but I know nothing about the proper pitch, etc. I did buy a Johnson/Evinrude manual that covers 1958-1972 outboards, so I should be able to locate a good part number.

I can always order online, but my preference is to support local shops. Are there any recommended places to buy parts/accessories, somewhat local in the Indy area?
    Can’t speak to Indy. But usually near large water you will find a marina that works on boats, motors, and the like. Always a good place to look.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Unfortunately it's no longer there, but there used to be a place called "Indy Boat Salvage" or something like that just south of Troy on Madison Avenue/S. East St.. To walk in there, it looked like total chaos. Aisles of shelving with old parts just strewn everywhere with no obvious organization. I went there looking for a starter solenoid for a 1960 Johnson Seahorse motor I had at the time. I spoke to the manager in his office and he looked around and picked one up off his desk! Crazy...

Top Bottom