• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I haven't carried cash for about a decade. Cash, flip phones, and print publications died in '07, let them go.
    The “mask mandaters“ would just LOVE a cashless society where the government could monitor and control even MORE aspects of our lives. I read BOOKS, and spend CASH. I think that the more you “let go” the more you GIVE AWAY

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    $15 minimum wage is not coming because there is more than retail jobs that would be affected. Its just a political football used to score points and now that our election system is completely corrupted they dont need it anymore.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    The “mask mandaters“ would just LOVE a cashless society where the government could monitor and control even MORE aspects of our lives. I read BOOKS, and spend CASH. I think that the more you “let go” the more you GIVE AWAY
    The cash you make is reported to the IRS. The cash you save is reported to the IRS. The cash you invest is reported to the IRS. Large purchases, deposits, or withdraws made in or to cash are reported to the IRS. Every year they know what you owe, but leave it to you to find out. Every year people who live their lives out in cash get audited into oblivion.
    I seriously doubt that Sam's Club wants to turn the machines against us by requiring ETF. It's cheaper for payroll and eventually every bill you pass turns into 1s and 0s on a computer screen.
    You want to spend a paper certificate backed by nothing.
    I elect to spend numbers, symbolic of paper certificates, backed by nothing.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What does that have to do with not being able to pay with cash?
    Less trouble. Actually saves you money. Deals with reality in a positive fashion. Allows me to not worry about losing my cash or having it stolen. Can pay off the credit card immediately and still SAVES ME MONEY. AKA cash.

I like cash too. But virtue signaling like a democrat about cashier's jobs isn't accomplishing anything that I can find. When the gubmint shuts down our electric and plastic currency to control us, I'll have something to barter with but until then, use the system that gives you the most advantage.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I use the scan and go app at Sam's. Scan stuff as it goes in the cart.. Pay with my Sam's Mastercard saved to the app. SAVES ME 5%! Show my phone to the asset protection employee at the door. And I'm outta there. No fuss, no muss.
    An annoying little app. I have to open it in the parking lot to have any chance of it being operational before the cart is full. Won't focus, quantity 10 when I only have one item in the cart, etc. It used to be sweet before everybody started using it, now it's just moved the line from the checkout to the scanner at the door.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I sure get why people use self checkout. But being old and grumpy and hard headed I don’t use them and won’t till I get payed to do the work for them next thing you know I will have to do inventory, order, stock then do self checkout.
    I miss the old days.:fogey:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    An annoying little app. I have to open it in the parking lot to have any chance of it being operational before the cart is full. Won't focus, quantity 10 when I only have one item in the cart, etc. It used to be sweet before everybody started using it, now it's just moved the line from the checkout to the scanner at the door.
    Funny. I never have any trouble with it. Suppose it could be your phone service or operator error.:stickpoke:

It works well for me, FE. I am sorry you have trouble with it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I sure get why people use self checkout. But being old and grumpy and hard headed I don’t use them and won’t till I get payed to do the work for them next thing you know I will have to do inventory, order, stock then do self checkout.
    I miss the old days.:fogey:
    That is not really a valid argument.

I like self checkout because I am getting a convenience that I don't even have to pay for. I would rather control the flow of my items, especially if some of them are on sale. When the cashier is ringing up the items, it's difficult to keep up with checking the prices that come up as they scan. Also, as has been mentioned, I like to bag things the way I like to bag things. Not too full or heavy, similar items together.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    I used to use the self checkout lanes because I was always faster and didn't need to unload the cart with the handheld bar code scanner. I now use Scan & Go feature in the app and scan the items as I pick them up. A quick swipe to pay on the phone and the checker at the door scans a QR code from the phone. Super quick and zero standing in the crazy lines. I was at the Sam's in Fort Wayne last Saturday and lines were over half way to the back of the store. A quick scan and out the door with no waiting for a register.

https://www.walmart.com/plus/mobile-scan-and-go

The only way to fly!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I try to always use a cashier line to help keep them employed. But I may reevaluate. The dumb bunnies act bothered by my choice, so I am getting to the **** you stage.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My life choices are driven by my grumpiness, my convenience, and my mood at the moment. Add to that I nearly always use cash.

I used to only have a 70% success rate in self checkout lines. The systems have gotten better and my success rate is nearer 90%. I define success as the process functioning properly so I don’t have to interact with an employee.

Generally I go to a cashier 3/4 of the time but will use self checkout if there are lots of stupid people in the cashier line or I think I can escape the store significantly faster.

I don’t flirt with the cashiers, they flirt with me.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The cash you make is reported to the IRS. The cash you save is reported to the IRS. The cash you invest is reported to the IRS. Large purchases, deposits, or withdraws made in or to cash are reported to the IRS. Every year they know what you owe, but leave it to you to find out. Every year people who live their lives out in cash get audited into oblivion.
    I seriously doubt that Sam's Club wants to turn the machines against us by requiring ETF. It's cheaper for payroll and eventually every bill you pass turns into 1s and 0s on a computer screen.
    You want to spend a paper certificate backed by nothing.
    I elect to spend numbers, symbolic of paper certificates, backed by nothing.
    Yes, the IRS knows what you earn, invest, and save. However, if you pay for everything with “1s and 0s” the government then knows EVERYTHING you purchase. If you totally TRUST THE GOVERNMENT to know EVERYTHING about your life, that is fine. I would prefer to purchase a case of 9mm at a gun show for cash with no paper trail.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Went to Kroger last night and got a cart full. They had 1 regular lane open and closed it as I got ready to get into it...
    My incredulous look and "you have NO lanes open?" statement fell on deaf ears.

You know how much of a pain in the ass it is to self scan a cart with those little rotating tables?

By the time I was almost done they opened 2 lanes. :rolleyes:

Self scan should give a 1-2% discount.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Curbside these days. Haven't seen a grocery checkout in a year (except a Costco trip or 2 during that time). It has a drawback here and there, but for the most part has saved me time, I still take advantage of coupons and sales, etc.

Top Bottom